Jim's GLP Gaslight Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
A very smokey, woodsy latakia-forward plug that’s easily broken up as you choose. The red Virginias are tangy sweet with some earthiness, and minor dark fruit notes. I get hints of cocoa from something here, and I’m not sure what causes it based on the tin description. The Oriental/Turkish offers a nice spice hit from start to finish. It’s not your typical lat-bomb because the other components add enough complexity to keep this from being one dimensional. It’s also smoother and creamier than your average lat-bomb, too. Slow burning, and with a slight dry time, will leave very little dottle.

I don't often smoke crumble-cake style blends, but I do enjoy a bowl of Gaslight. I shred off flakes with a sharp knife and it burns easy. I enjoy this in the hotter summer months, when it is too hot for my normal lat-heavy blends. It has a nice balance, doesn't overwhelm in any of the senses yet still holds my interest.

Ah, Gaslight.

There are many, many things I appreciate about GLP's line, and Gregory's style in general. One is out-of-the-park takes on Old Classic blends that have either migrated away from their original nature, or left us altogether. Another is innovation. Blends that for the whole first tin have me scratching my head, peering into the bowl and tin, asking myself "what DO I think about this!?"

Gaslight was so new, and strange to me, I didn't know what to make of it. Obviously, there's no cocoa powder, or dish soap in it, but there is something about that thing that I ain't had before. It's dry, and wine-like. It reminded me of spicy rum, or bourbon. Not that it tastes like them, but, acts like them.

Right now, its an absolute favorite. I'm very strange about Lat blends. VA blends, I tend to either love, or hate. Lats, well,  there are many shades with them, for me. And sometimes I'm weary of outsiders. This one, has finally joined the inner circle.

If you like Lat smokes, you really owe it to yourself to try this one.

Probably my favorite GLP blend. I agree with the wine comparison. It is smokey and heavy but with a nice slight tang. Now his VA blends... He has a long way to go in that department, imho, but his lat mixtures... Good. Does knock me on my backside though.

Just received a small sample of this, and despite my aversion to Lat blends these days I'm gonna test drive it soon to see just what the fuss is all about.

Hey, nothing ventured they say. And if I like it, it may be the way back into Lat blends after all these years!

;)

Cheers,

RR

For what it's worth, I thought it was good but no where near as good as some of his other Latakias.

For me, I think time will tell with Gaslight. I found the back half of every bowl I smoked to be extraordinarily bitter. The smoke had a tremendous parching affect on my palate.

I have a few more tins that I don't plan on touching for a while. More age needed, IMHO.

Gaslight has turned into one of my favorite lat blends in very short order (Odyssey, Fusiliers Ration, Northwoods and Magnum Opus are the others,with Maltese Falcon a runner-up). It's an incredibly smooth and flavorful mixture, and I love the cake presentation. I don't know if it's my favorite blend by Greg (Filmore and Cairo are both strokes of genius) but it's definitely in the running.

Brewdude":3a2pjabg said:
Just received a small sample of this, and despite my aversion to Lat blends these days I'm gonna test drive it soon to see just what the fuss is all about.

Hey, nothing ventured they say.  And if I like it, it may be the way back into Lat blends after all these years!

;)

Cheers,

RR
I'll be interested to know what you think BD.

DrumsAndBeer":9o0d27ob said:
Brewdude":9o0d27ob said:

Hey, nothing ventured they say.  And if I like it, it may be the way back into Lat blends after all these years!

;)

Cheers,

RR

I'll be interested to know what you think BD.

I'll also be interested on this one D&B. The reviews have made it look pretty interesting.

Cheers,

RR