Jim's GLP Regents Flake and Temple Bar Reviews.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Here are my reviews of the latest GLP blends.

Regents Flake:
The mature red Virginia is very tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a minor spice note, and is a team player even though there’s more of it than there is of the other tobaccos. The citrus sweet, grassy bright Virginia also seems to have a drop of honey in a support role. The raisin and spice from the perique mostly lurks in the background. The Izmir is a tad smokey, very woody, mildly floral and musty, and moderately spicy along with a buttery sweet and sour taste as it constantly competes with the Virginias. At times, it will dominate. Given that, you will still notice all the inherent characteristics of the tobaccos most of the time. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. It’s medium in strength while the taste level is just past medium. The flakes are lightly moist and not thick, and I saw no need to dry them. Mildly complex, it burns at a reasonable pace for a flake; cool, clean, and even with a fairly smooth flavor. It has no weak or harsh spots, and won’t bite. Requires a normal number of relights for a flake product, and leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl. The after taste is mildly woody sweet and rather pleasant. The room note is pleasant. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but those experienced in Oriental blends may find it closer to being one.

Temple Bar:
The earthy, tangy, dark fruit sweet red Virginia also has a touch of spice, and takes a lead over the other components, though not by much. The grassy, citrusy gold Virginia is in a supporting role. The Orientals offer smoke, wood, a little sweetness with a hint of sour and spice as they comprise an important part of the taste. The raisin and peppery perique is a very minor player, not always obvious to your taste buds, but you’ll occasionally sense its presence to one extent or another. The nic-hit is close to being medium. The strength is medium, and taste of the blend is just past medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, and has no dull, harsh or weak spots. The plug is mildly moist thick and a bit dense, but is easy to break apart to suit your packing preference. Because the plug is made of whole leaf, expect some veins in the tobacco as you prepare it. Moderately complex, and well balanced with body and depth, you notice most every aspect of the tobaccos in every puff. Burns a little slow, cool, clean and smooth from start to finish. Easily burns to ash with fewer relights than expected. Has a very pleasant woody sweet and sour after taste, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. The room note is pleasant. Not quite an all day smoke, but it certainly repeatable.

Thanks Jim. As always an interesting and informative read. :)

AJ

I am looking forward to both of these. Oriental mixtures w/o Latakia are always compelling.

Great reviews, Jim. I only had my eye on Temple Bar, but now I'm thinking Regents Flake might have to be purchased as well.... Darn

So far haven't seen either of these on any sites yet... Release date is today right? Guess I should check C&D website

Old Nate":pueo6c44 said:
So far haven't seen either of these on any sites yet... Release date is today right? Guess I should check C&D website
Yes, it's supposed to be released today.

I just looked on Smokingpipes.com and saw there was something called Renaissance Reserve that is now gone. Syrian Latakia is shown as one of the components. A shame I was too late........... Of all the blends from him, I was most curious about that one. But then, I am very fond of Syrian Latakia........ As for the other two, I'll wait until I go to Springfield Missouri and ask Waymond for a sample taste of each when I go in on the first of the month. I'm sure he'll have an open tin of each somewhere............

I missed that one, too. It was gone last week hours after it came out. I'm Not fast enough.

Old Nate":mqc0jg0l said:
I missed that one, too. It was gone last week hours after it came out. I'm Not fast enough.
Total of 500 tins and Smokingpipes.com sold their allotment of 300 tins out in about 12 minutes. A handful of other distributors also got some in that all sold out within minutes as well. :shock:

Wondering what people who have cracked into their tins think so far... I only smoked one bowl of Temple Bar, but it was good. Slightly Tangy, with just a little sweetness and had a rich backbone to it. I found it fairly strong as well.

Old Nate":k3n9fp49 said:
Wondering what people who have cracked into their tins think so far... I only smoked one bowl of Temple Bar, but it was good. Slightly Tangy, with just a little sweetness and had a rich backbone to it. I found it fairly strong as well.
That's my take on it as well. I think it will be an awesome blend after 5+ years of aging. :)

AJ