Jim's GLP Renaissance Reserve Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Having very recently smoked the original Renaissance, whose formula was duplicated for this limited revival, I find few differences between the two. The very smokey, woody Syrian latakia has a light dryness, and is a little more noticeable than the Cyprian, which has a little sweetness along with the smoke and wood. The rich Orientals are woody with some earth, a touch of sour, and a mild to medium spiciness that playfully tingles the tongue. As with the original, the Orientals compete with and compliment the latakias. The red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet and earthy with a bare spice note. It takes a lead over the other Virginias, though the aged version is mildly tangier. The matured Virginias have a gentle fermented stewed dark fruitiness, and vies with the red for attention. Third place in the Virginia line is the gold Virginia which offers light grass and citrus. The nic-hit is mild to medium. The strength is medium, and the taste is just past that. There’s no chance of bite, and no harsh or dullness to be found. A slow puffing cadence and a wide bowl is recommended to fully capture the complexities of this mixture.

It is just a little more latakia forward than the original, as well as tad less earthy, but that’s because I was smoking an aged 2004 version where the matured sweetness and earth of the Virginias came forward just a tad more, and the latakias had lightly mellowed. The nuance of taste in the Renaissance Reserve is a little more obvious and fresher because aging rounded off a few characteristics of the varietals. However this is very close to that aged product, and the differences are minor. Well balanced, complex, and a little dry in the tin, it burns at a reasonable pace with a very smooth, cool, clean consistent deep flavor. There is a mild creaminess here that’s just a hair more conspicuous than in the original. Requires few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. The smokey, woody, sweet, slightly sour and moderately spicy after taste pleasantly lingers. The campfire room note will linger, too. It’s not quite an all day smoke unless you are an experienced smoker, but is certainly repeatable if you are not.

so you smoked the new stuff? Damn....bummed greg did not give me a chnace since he knows i love Latakia more than most people. well wish i could get 4 tins. 1 for now and 3 for future adventures.

Nevermind, front page of his site. Man I have really had my head in the sand.

Another great review. Thanks Jim. :)

AJ

Sounds like they might have managed to actually match the old renaissance or even improve it!

i am considering heavily to just say NO - i hate the hype and who knows the price and 200 people scramble for the stuff.  Gaslight is great for my needs.  also feels like wally's world on black friday to me....  sometimes just not getting sucked in....

oh - yes been pondering my earlier response since i found out about it.....

my 2 cents. and OPINYYYYON!!!!!

Carlos":s71w81tx said:
Old Nate":s71w81tx said:
Yeah it's gonna go so fast... I'm not even gonna try
It is probably going to be restricted to low numbers, to get it out among the masses.  Cannot hurt to try.
Two tins per customer.

sold out already in less than an hr. same with 4 noggins - less than an hr.

wasn't planning on getting any - and 4 noggins was more expensive - but happened to be there at the right time and got 4 tins. that is it for me even if 20 more were available.

I was lucky enough to be able to grab a couple. Look forward to trying this. 8)

Nope, crap.... Missed this one for sure....... By the time I got the cast on the baby llama it was gone. As many of my female friends would say.................

Whatever

(sigh)

I missed out on this one too... oh, we'll. I did want to try it... but, hell, I want to try everything!