Jim's MacBaren Reviews

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old tin of Dark Twist from when they listed perique. It's almost so spicy that it's tough to smoke. Good thing I am down to the crumbs. Also, no Stockton? I always thought that Stockton should be very popular. It's has reasonable strength. It has dark Kentucky. Yet it's treated like the step-child.

docwatson":f3hvuiic said:
I am reading all of your reviews over again, and enjoying the comparisons of the different MacBaren Blends. Thanks for your concise and well described tastings.
One of their blends that has been a favorite of mine for decades is The Solent Mixture. I was first introduced to this by a pipe smoker from up in the Michigan area back in the 80's and it's been seldom reviewed that I know of and would really like to hear your review. IMO it is truly the one and only MacBaren blend that is totally different from all others.
Thanks for sharing all of your tastings in the MacBaren lineup.  :) 
Thank you for the nice words. I've never smoked Solent Mixture, but would like to. If I ever do, I'll certainly review it.

Carlos":8awvl7ae said:
I have an old tin of Dark Twist from when they listed perique.  It's almost so spicy that it's tough to smoke.  Good thing I am down to the crumbs.  Also, no Stockton?  I always thought that Stockton should be very popular.  It's has reasonable strength.  It has dark Kentucky.  Yet it's treated like the step-child.
I did review Dark Twist in one of the posts. It's spicy, and I would have liked to have tried it when it had perique. I haven't reviewed Stockton because I've never smoked it, but I've always heard good things about it, and I love dark Kentucky!

Am I the only one whose mouth starts to water when reading tobacco reviews?

Domer":fse94u88 said:
No, not when reading the good ones, which these are. A lot of the lame ones make me nod off, many of which appear in...never mind.

Domer":3wroybfh said:
Not really as most are not as well written nor functional that are on many sites. Considering I can't recall EVER having eaten dirt, hay, grass or the fabled "Corinthian Leather", reviews that make use of these sort of illusions are basically useless  :twisted: :twisted: 

Here's my review of MacBaren Golden Extra:
It's a little nutty with light chocolate notes, and the barest touch of honey. The Virginia acts mainly as a cooling base to contrast and smooth out the burley. Burns well and even, and tastes even better when you sip it and don't puff away like a train. It's kind of light in strength, but it's designed to be that way. A pleasant, uncomplicated mild to medium sweet blend that doesn't tire you out from repeated smokes during the day.

I'd say that pretty much nails Golden Extra. At least that's what I experience in flavor when I smoke it. However I can't put it into words like you do.  :cheers: 

This one is for DocWatson, who kindly gifted me a generous sample of Soylent Mixture. Thank you, Doc.

Solent Mixture:
A well blended aromatic/English blend that burns well, cool, and even. There's a taste of rum, and a cocoa note or two from the burley. Overall, the Virginias are earthy and modestly sweet. The black cavendish adds enough of a vanilla hit that well enjoins the other sweet flavors without controlling them. The mild addition of Syrian latakia pushes a smokey and slightly woodsy flavor, adding complimentary strength to the other ingredients. The multiplicity of flavors are lightly amplified by a mild spice that I've tasted in other MacBaren blends. Best smoked in a wide bowl for full effect, and while it may not be an all day smoke for some, it's certainly a mixture you can reach for more than once a day. One of the better crossover blends on the market with enough strength to satisfy non-lat bomb aficionados without disappointing those who crave a stronger latakia presence.

Thanks for your interesting review of The Solent Mixture from MacBaren. Jim you have described a tobacco that I have enjoyed for years and never realized that some of those hidden flavors existed until you put them into the description and if I sit back and really savor this tobacco they are all present. What a great palate you have in extricating slight flavors that make up such an interesting and complex mixture. Solent is a blend that I will always have on hand and for some reason I never tire from enjoying. I don't believe that it has a big following by other pipe smokers but that's fine by me, as I've never had a problem acquiring the blend like so many other mixtures that are unavailable at times. Something about Solent just rings my bell, whether it's the addition of a small portion of Cavendish, the gentle sweetness that is not cloying in the least or the small amount of Latakia that makes this considered a crossover blend. I am glad that you got to review Solent and that you share your opinion with us, it is much appreciated. :cheers: 

docwatson":mvwqt7i4 said:
Thanks for your interesting review of The Solent Mixture from MacBaren. Jim you have described a tobacco that I have enjoyed for years and never realized that some of those hidden flavors existed until you put them into the description and if I sit back and really savor this tobacco they are all present.  What a great palate you have in extricating slight flavors that make up such an interesting and complex mixture. Solent is a blend that I will always have on hand and for some reason I never tire from enjoying. I don't believe that it has a big following by other pipe smokers but that's fine by me, as I've never had a problem acquiring the blend like so many other mixtures that are unavailable at times. Something about Solent just rings my bell, whether it's the addition of a small portion of Cavendish, the gentle sweetness that is not cloying in the least or the small amount of Latakia that makes this considered a crossover blend.  I am glad that you got to review Solent and that you share your opinion with us, it is much appreciated. :cheers: 
Thank you, Doc. It's getting a little easier for me to pick up the taste of rum because I've smoked so many blends with it in the last year. That was the one flavor in the blend I had to think about. And once I understood that the taste of cocoa from burley isn't quite like the cocoa from candy bars, it started making more sense to me when I smoked burleys. I, too, am surprised more people don't smoke Solent, now that I've had a chance to enjoy it.

Virginia Flake:
A fairly natural tasting straight up light, bright Virginia flake. There's a natural sweetness, slightly citrusy, from the tobacco conjoining with a grassy taste - no hay - to provide a mild, gentle smoking experience. Not a flavor bomb by any means, but it's a comfortable all day smoke that burns well, fairly slowly and cool without leaving any moisture at the bottom. It won't satisfy those looking for bolder, earthier Virginias, but it's a nice break from those mixtures when you want to relax or work without charging up your taste buds.

HH Acadian Perique:
The name of this mixture may imply to some that it's heavy in perique, but actually, it's a moderate amount. You will taste it all through the smoke, but it doesn't dominate, and the spice is intertwined with familial notes from the dark fired Kentucky and Turkish components. There is a pleasant, gentle sweetness from the honey flavored cavendish, contrasted with a very mild nuttiness, and sweet note from the burley. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but mainly provides some earthy body to the proceedings. It has a rich flavor that bears repeating during your smoking day. Burns perfectly smooth with no dottle, no bite, and a consistent taste - the hallmark of a well designed blend.

I know I've posted the latter review before, but thought I should add it to this list.

JimInks":o4m0yyhs said:
Virginia Flake:
A fairly natural tasting straight up light, bright Virginia flake. There's a natural sweetness, slightly citrusy, from the tobacco conjoining with a grassy taste - no hay - to provide a mild, gentle smoking experience. Not a flavor bomb by any means, but it's a comfortable all day smoke that burns well, fairly slowly and cool without leaving any moisture at the bottom. It won't satisfy those looking for bolder, earthier Virginias, but it's a nice break from those mixtures when you want to relax or work without charging up your taste buds.

HH Acadian Perique:
The name of this mixture may imply to some that it's heavy in perique, but actually, it's a moderate amount. You will taste it all through the smoke, but it doesn't dominate, and the spice is intertwined with familial notes from the dark fired Kentucky and Turkish components. There is a pleasant, gentle sweetness from the honey flavored cavendish, contrasted with a very mild nuttiness, and sweet note from the burley. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but mainly provides some earthy body to the proceedings. It has a rich flavor that bears repeating during your smoking day. Burns perfectly smooth with no dottle, no bite, and a consistent taste - the hallmark of a well designed blend.

I know I've posted the latter review before, but thought I should add it to this list.
Always good to read your reviews Jim, even if you've posted them before.

I quite like the HH Acadian myself. And I concur with your assessment.

Cheers,

RR

Because I gave some of these separate reviews in their own threads, I thought I'd add them to this list to make it easier for those who may wish to read them in one place. The last entry in this post, HH Highland Blend, is new.

MacBaren Cube Gold:
This is a ribbon cut danish aromatic with just a little broken flake, and hydrated to the perfect level for smoking. The tobacco smells stronger in the pouch than in the room or your mouth though it's kind of pungent. It's milder and creamier than the Cube Silver, and the sweet topping is slightly less fruity, more citrusy and berry-like, and just a little less perfumy. There are fewer sour notes here, too. The golden Virginia and cavendish are a little more obvious here than in the Silver, as is the vanilla from the black cavendish. Less complex than the Cube Silver, I find this easier to smoke more often with a darn near perfect burn rate with no goop. A sipping tobacco blend for sure.

MacBaren Cube Silver:
This is a ribbon cut danish aromatic with just a little broken flake, and hydrated to the perfect level for smoking. The tobacco smells stronger in the pouch than in the room or your mouth, though it's rather pungent. I get several tropical fruity flavors here, including some vanilla from the black cavendish. The burley adds a very slight nutty sweetness, and the Oriental/Turkish components are there to push a little spice to your tongue. The gold Virginia has some citrus, and I taste apricots and mangos, with light date and cocoa spots. Virginia cavendish also sweetens the pot. The topping is fragrant and sharply sweet, with a few sour notes, which is typical of many Danish aromatics. Best to sip this one or risk a little head rush.

MacBaren Cube Bronze:
This is a ribbon cut danish aromatic with just a little broken flake, and hydrated to the perfect level for smoking. The tobacco smells stronger in the pouch than in the room or your mouth. Mildly pungent; less so than the other two blends in this series. Mild and very creamy with several fruit flavors including raspberries, though the cherry note stands out slightly more. The vanilla from the black cavendish is light, and works well with a more prominent semi-sweet and smooth cocoa essence. Somehow, for some reason, this doesn't taste like a cherry-chocolate blend in spite of their mutual presence. Burns well, and even and is very consistent in its complexity. A great after dinner or all day smoke that leaves a very pleasant after taste. A well blended mixture with little of the fragrance of the Gold and Silver, it is the least sweet Cube blend.

MacBaren Halberg Green:
Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it's mild with an extremely gentle, but full explosion of fruit flavor. The Virginias and burleys more or less take a back seat to the fruity, light citrus, and berry taste of this ribbon and cross-cut blend. The Virginias may add a little of the citrus, though I think it mainly comes more from the topping. An essence of cherry adds to the complex fruit profile, also including a bare hint of vanilla, and an occasional tart note. Smooth and creamy, burns cooly, evenly, and slowly without a hint of a chemical taste. In some ways, it's a better, more complex, deeper tasting, smoother version of Amphora Red. Perhaps the best fruit flavored blend I have ever smoked, it also reminds me of the kind of liqueur one savors after an expensive meal.

MacBaren Halberg Red:
The Virginias have a natural sweetness, and some earthy notes from them and the burleys, which play in the background. There's also a slight toast note to the burleys. The black cavendish chips in with an very mild vanilla that compliments the sweet, almost fruity topping. Ribbon cut with broken flake that burns smooth, even, and dry without much moisture. Not one hint of a chemical taste exists here. Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it's a well crafted, mild all day smoke that doesn't wear out your tongue or senses with a full flavor that never quits.

MacBaren Halberg Yellow:
More cross-cut and broken flake than ribbon, but burns perfectly all the way to the end of the bowl with no harshness. Like the Red and the Green, it is mild with the full taste of various fruit flavors, including apricot, berries, cherry, lemon, and maybe a hint of mango. The black cavendish adds a very complimentary vanilla taste that provides a light bass note without competing for taste. The various flavors one normally expects from lemon yellow and brown Virginias are present, though subdued. The burleys are mildly earthy, mostly sweet and slightly nutty. I get a little less of the berry notes and more of the citrus than I do in the Red and Green entries in the series. Not one hint of a chemical taste exists here. Presented within one of the classiest boxes ever designed for a tobacco product, it amazes me that all three of the aforementioned blends are mild in strength, yet very full of flavor.

Mixture Modern:
There's a natural sweetness from the Virginias that comes through even with the topping and the cavendishes vying for attention. I get some honey, oats and nutty notes, the latter coming from the burleys. The gold cavendish provides some slight citrus while the black cavendish adds a mild vanilla flavor that doesn't dominate. It's a mild aromatic, very smooth and creamy. Light on the nicotine, it burns well with no bite, no dottle and makes a very pleasant all day smoke that won't bore you. Nice after taste and room note, too.

Mixture Flake:
This reminds me a bit of MacBaren's Scottish Flake with a few differences. I find this to be a little spicier and I get that in every puff, which indicates to me that there's a little more dark fired Kentucky here. The taste is more consistent here than it is in SF, too. I get a variety of flavors, ranging from nuts, a little honey, bread, earth, and a hint of grass. The sweetness comes from the gold and black cavendish, Virginias, burleys, and a light topping. Smokey, woodsy, tangy, and creamy notes play well with the tongue, offering a slow, cool and dry burn rate with very little moisture at the finish. I found it sweeter when I sip at a moderate pace. This is a blend that deserves more attention when you smoke it.

HH Acadian Perique:

HH Latakia Flake:
The hot pressed flake breaks apart very easily though it needs to dry a few minutes first. It's creamy and smooth, and easy to keep lit. The Orientals have a nice spice flavor that isn't too strong, just right, and gets slightly more noticeable when you reach the half way point in the bowl. It's a little sweeter than your average English, and I believe there's some black cavendish in it, though the description doesn't note it. There's an ample amount of Cyprian latakia without being overwhelming, providing a woodsy, smokey sweet flavor. The bright Virginias have a natural sweetness, and a very mild grass note as the core base for the other components to play off. The burleys are mildly sweet and nutty with a touch of earthiness. The flavor is consistent from first light to last puff with a very pleasing after taste. The rich complexity of this flake entertains the taste buds, and should appeal to aficionados of English blends who are looking for more than a dry smoke.

HH Highland Blend:
The Scotch whiskey is flavorful without dominating the other components, though it’s ever present. The burleys are nutty, oat-like and sweet with minor earth notes. The cavendish is bready sweet with a mild spice hit. Creamy at times, slight sour notes pop up here and there as a contrast to the sweetness. It doesn't bite, but it should be sipped just the same. I enjoyed the whiskey flavor better that way. It's good in a briar, but even better in a meer.

Jim, As a newb here at BoB I've a lot of catching up to do and I must say I really enjoy your reviews; very well written and informative.

I've been a fan of MacBaren's tobaccos since I was a pup and it was nice to see you review what must be close to their entire line of products. Anyway just thought I'd poke my nose in and say thank you!

Rob

RobJ":pljdght9 said:
Jim, As a newb here at BoB I've a lot of catching up to do and I must say I really enjoy your reviews; very well written and informative.

I've been a fan of MacBaren's tobaccos since I was a pup and it was nice to see you review what must be close to their entire line of products. Anyway just thought I'd poke my nose in and say thank you!

Rob
Rob, I thank you for the compliments. There are still a number of MacBaren products I haven't reviewed yet. If I get more of them to smoke, I'll review them.

Jim's reviews are among the things I missed most during my recent BoB hiatus.

gravel":6zxhthol said:
Jim's reviews are among the things I missed most during my recent BoB hiatus.
Wow! What a nice thing to say! Thank you. And it's good to see you back.

JimInks":eruort3s said:
Vanilla Cream Loose Cut:
A creamy vanilla smoke that burns well and isn't so sweet that it overpowers the smoker. I get a little honey and very light fruit taste that adds a very mild balance to the mix. It has some black cavendish as you would expect a vanilla flavored tobacco to have. The Virginias act as a base to tame both the BC and the top note, not to add their normal characteristics. It's a mild all day smoke with not much complexity as by intentional design. I find it more palatable than stronger vanilla flavored blends. People will like to be around you when you smoke it, so expect to be social when you're out and about in public.
I've chosen to match this Blend with my Chacom Samba 44 Ebony bent Dublin. I figured the pipe is too fancy for everyday use and this blend is perfect for pipe smoking PR. At Black Tie affairs and the like, you'll find me smoking Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream in my elegant Samba!

Thanks for the concise review of a great OTC.