Jim's New Three Nuns Reviews.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
These two blends will be released soon. I don't have an exact date.

MacBaren Three Nuns Green:
The earthy, dark fruity, lightly grassy, citrusy Virginias form the base of the blend. The very woody, earthy, dry, slightly sharp, fairly spicy, smoky, mildly floral dark fired Kentucky competes for attention with the Virginias, and mostly takes a little of the lead. The raisiny, spicy, plummy perique runs third place here as a condiment. The strength level is just short of medium while the taste barely makes that threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness, and has no dull moments. There is a little inconsistency in the flavor because some coins have more dark fired Kentucky than others, and there’s some loose cut tobacco along with the coins. The tobacco is lightly moist and the coins are pliable to suit your packing preference. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and will burn to ashes. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a tad more than an average number of relights. Has a very pleasant, lightly lingering after taste. Can easily be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

MacBaren Three Nuns Yellow:
In giving further thought to the Yellow blend, I started sensing a little Kentucky, and I now think a little is present. So, I'm amending my review to reflect my new thought.

The lightly grassy, citrusy, slightly hay-like, bready, gently floral golden brown Virginia is the lead component, and also sports the slightest hint of honey possible. The dark fruity, very earthy dark Virginia is a tad more than a condiment, and has a touch of fermentation. In the background is a small portion is woody,lightly spicy, dry, earthy Kentucky. The strength is a step or two past the mild level, and the taste is in the center of mild to medium. The nic-hit is mild. Won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed, and has a very consistent, comfortable smooth sweetness, without being overly sweet. The tobacco is lightly moist, and the coins easily break apart to suit your preference. There’s some loose cut in the mix as well. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace, and easily burns to ash. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires just a few more than an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste and room note. By design, it’s a milder Virginia blend with a twist than some others on the market, and though it’s not complex, it makes for a easy going all day smoke. In the category of mildly straight Virginias with Kentucky, it gets four stars.

The first one sounds more intriguing than the second. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the reviews Jim — Any thoughts on how Three Nuns Yellow compares to Amphora Virginia Blend?

Adam

AdamCordray":v7mrfkbf said:
Thanks for the reviews Jim — Any thoughts on how Three Nuns Yellow compares to Amphora Virginia Blend?

Adam
The Yellow is tad milder, a little more refined, lightly more complex, and smoother.

As always sir an excellent review that will prove most helpful in deciding where my discretionary funds will be going. The Kentucky must be subtitle indeed to nearly sneak past you. They both sound amazing though.

Jim

huffelpuff":03g0lakj said:
As always sir an excellent review that will prove most helpful in deciding where my discretionary funds will be going. The Kentucky must be subtitle indeed to nearly sneak past you. They both sound amazing though.

Jim
I started sensing it the last bowl I had. I'm still not positive it is Kentucky, but I think it is. I know it's not regular burley. Whatever it is, it's in a trace amount.

huffelpuff":6p82leok said:

Jim
I asked the blender what it was, and he wouldn't tell me. I'll keep trying to see what I can see. I had a feeling after that last bowl, something else was going on.