Jim's Revised Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky Review.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
I have seen a fair amount of discussion regarding the re-release of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Now that I have been able to compare the new with the older version, I rewrote my review to reflect the differences.

Original review: It came in a medium wide strips that were very easy to rub out or fold and stuff depending on your preference. I tried it both ways and noticed no flavor difference. There was some natural sweetness that complimented the deep Kentucky taste, but I would not label this a sweet tobacco, per se'. It did have some nuttiness and spice from the Kentucky, though it was not as bold as other Kentuckys I have smoked. The Red Virginia was tangy sweet with dark fruit notes. The bright Virginia was citrusy, slightly grassy and mild in a supporting role. The licorice topping was mild with a hint of molasses. Burned slowly with consistent flavor and left just a little moisture in the bowl. Had a nice after taste that pleasantly lingered.

Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong is a good substitute, but I thought it not quite as complex as the Orlik, though it looks exactly the same. I doubt I'd have noticed much difference at all, except that I taste tested back in the day. Orlik's blend was just a tad more complex, slightly nuttier, and very barely sweeter than the Heinrichs' mixture, and had a touch less molasses. Also had just a shade more red Virginia and licorice.

Updated review 7-10-2015: The new version of Dark Strong is different than what I used to smoke in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The flakes are shorter and not as wide as they had been. This version has virtually no red Virginia that I can see or really taste. There is a hint of dark fruit and tanginess that may come from it, but if it is present, it's certainly well hidden. I don't think it's here. There's much more citrusy bright Virginia in here, probably to replace the red Virginia content. The amount of Kentucky is just slightly less than before, though it has the same flavors I attributed to it in my earlier review. The licorice topping is stronger, and sublimates the tobaccos much more so than in the earlier incarnation. Can't really taste any molasses in this one either. Burns the same, and the after taste is stronger due to the topping.

Peter Heinrich's version has changed, too, and in the same way the Orlik DSK has, except the topping is mostly molasses with less licorice.

Thanks Jim! I'd been holding off on opening my only tin of original DSK with the hope the reissue would be very similar. I think I will cherish it even more now! I have a new tin of Heinrich's on order which should arrive in a few weeks. I'll start there.

I'm smoking some Heinrich's Dark Strong flake right now, great stuff. Have smoked the older Orlik DSK when it used to come in the 100 G tins, and it was was wonderful (and in my recollection the same tobacco as Heinrich's - I couldn't tell a difference). I have yet to smoke any of the new iteration. I look forward to trying it, but I fear that pipe tobacco is becoming a homogenized thing, with so many blends being moved to production by only a handful of manufacturers. Everything MacBaren makes will taste like MacBaren with only subtle variations in flavor.

I can't pronounce myself on the original DSK as I have never tried it. But I do like the new release, even though I would not make it an all day smoke for me.

I think you're right on the lack of Red VAs, Jim, as it seems to contain mostly Golden VAs, from what I've seen in the only tin I've opened. Red VAs, present in a sufficient proportion, are clearly visible.

The KE is there, but not a dominant component.

I do suspect, also, a subtle presence of Black CA in the equation.

Puff Daddy":r7xn5p8g said:
I'm smoking some Heinrich's Dark Strong flake right now, great stuff. Have smoked the older Orlik DSK when it used to come in the 100 G tins, and it was was wonderful (and in my recollection the same tobacco as Heinrich's - I couldn't tell a difference). I have yet to smoke any of the new iteration. I look forward to trying it, but I fear that pipe tobacco is becoming a homogenized thing, with so many blends being moved to production by only a handful of manufacturers. Everything MacBaren makes will taste like MacBaren with only subtle variations in flavor.
Many people know that some blends sold by different companies under different names are actually made by the same manufacturer. One thing I have learned in the past year is that some of those blends may be exactly alike,  but have a slight tweaking of the formula to make a small difference. I think that is what is going on with Orlik and Peter Heinrichs. They slightly change the topping for each one. The difference is subtle and unless you are looking for a difference, you may not find it. I only noticed because I spent time looking for it.

There's more than one company who changes percentages of toppings to sell a blend under a different name. Some slightly change the ratio of tobaccos. It's a puzzle to figure it all out.