Jim's Sutliff Match Reviews.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoverPipes":ziad0nyt said:
I would also add, Are all of Russ' "Match Alternatives" considered to be Sutliff products entirely at this point? Is it safe to assume that petty much everything coming out of P&C as a "Match Alternative" or"Hearth and Home" are Sutliff products from start to finish or does Mac Baren come into play with those blends? I saw Sutliff  took on the tinning and production for Russ' stuff. Just making sure........ :suspect:
Sutliff makes most of the Match blends, so they are under that company's umbrella for the most part. A few recent Match blends like Dunhill BB1938 and Presbyterian were developed by Russ O, and I don't know who is making those. I've not tried the BB1938.

JimInks":pljk3bur said:
DoverPipes":pljk3bur said:
I would also add, Are all of Russ' "Match Alternatives" considered to be Sutliff products entirely at this point? Is it safe to assume that petty much everything coming out of P&C as a "Match Alternative" or"Hearth and Home" are Sutliff products from start to finish or does Mac Baren come into play with those blends? I saw Sutliff  took on the tinning and production for Russ' stuff. Just making sure........ :suspect:
Sutliff makes most of the Match blends, so they are under that company's umbrella for the most part. A few recent Match blends like Dunhill BB1938 and Presbyterian were developed by Russ O, and I don't know who is making those. I've not tried the BB1938.
I really enjoyed the BB1938 blend. I have had both the original Dunhill and Savory's offerings. I loved them all and I am glad to be able to have the BB1938 as a replacement. Russ hit this one "out of the park" IMHO.

What a fantastic project. I hadn't seen it until now. Thank you so much for all the effort and sharing.

I wish I thought that highly of the Crown Achievement match. It was one of my favorite tobaccos back when. I found it truly luxurious, and I smoked A LOT of it (along with 759 and Nightcap, as I was a dedicated English lover). The new CA version is 100% eh. It, and my same lukewarm response to Russ's Bengal with access to the original recipe, has made me hesitant to bother with the match 759.