Jim's Sutliff Private Stock Reviews, Chapter Two!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
Here are my reviews of the thirteen new Sutliff Private Stock blends.

A Taste of Autumn:
A tasty medium aromatic with a multiplicity of flavors. The smell of the tobacco in the tin is much stronger than how it tastes. Pumpkin is one of the major players, though I perceive an essence of cooking wine. At the halfway point, I got bare hints of vanilla from the black cavendish, honey from the gold cavendish, and a very slight hay Virginia note. There's all-spice and nutmeg hits throughout the entire smoke. Burns well, though it may benefit from a little dry time. It's one of those blends where the taste grows on you after a few bowls. While it'll provide a nice seasonal treat as the name implies, it also makes a good summer time blend while you're out in the fresh air.

A Taste of Spring:
Though low on nicotine, the light grassy, citrusy Virginia works well with the moderate earthy, nutty burley. There’s a little vanilla back ground note from the black cavendish which at times, is sublimated by a mild honey topping. Gentle, smooth and easy burning with a very consistent flavor, it’s a pleasant all day work and play aromatic with a nice room note. Made for smoking outdoors, too.

April Dawn:
The cherry aroma is strong when you open the tin, but it’s less so when you smoke it. It tastes a little like a milder Spinnaker, but the tobacco is much dryer here. I don’t really taste the burley much, though it’ll pop up a little if you completely dry this out. The grassy Virginia is a little noticeable, more so if dried out. After the half way point, it is minutely syrupy at times, but not annoyingly so. Unlike some cherry blends, it doesn’t turn harsh as you get near the end. Basically, it’s a medium tasting blend that leaves a pleasant after taste, has a nice room note, and burns pretty decently, though there’s a very slight bit of moisture at the finish.

Archduke Ferdinand:
A mild to medium aromatic with some complexity. The tobacco taste from the Virginia is lightly grassy and citrusy, though it’s mainly covered up by the other components. The burley provides very few nutty notes, because it is sublimated by the vanilla from the various grades of black cavendish. The vanilla is not over powering, and is nicely complimented by a sweet honey bread and cocoa taste. Rich in flavor, burns well, cool and even with no bite, no dottle. The aroma from the smoke reminds me of a bakery. A well made dessert smoke that doesn’t overwhelm you with its sweetness. I’d classify this as an all day smoke for that reason.

Breckinridge:
A straight uncomplicated Kentucky plug cut burley with no topping. It has a little earthiness contrasting nicely with a mild molasses, nutty, and cocoa notes. Burns well, cool, and even, though if you puff too fast, you may get a light cigarette taste. It’s a nice change from the more familiar sweeter OTCs on the market.

County Cork:
A mild topping of Irish whisky is the star flavor, though you can get a little taste of the Virginia and sweet burley with a light bread note. It’s a short ribbon cut that burns well, even and cooly with a consistent creamy smoothness, and no sour notes. An all day smoke that doesn’t overwhelm and has a pleasant room note.

Court of St. James:
The Virginias are rich and a bit grassy/earthy with a light vinegar essence that is slightly noticeable in the beginning, but mostly disappears after a few puffs. The perique is peppery sweet. Although the tin description doesn’t mention it, there’s a touch of latakia in here. I also sense a hint of mocha. The cut is broken flake, and burns evenly cool with no harshness and no dottle. It’s a medium strength all day VaPer with some complexity. I imagine this will age very well in the cellar.

Honey and Chocolate:
An aromatic replacement for the discontinued MacBaren Honey and Chocolate blend. Basically, all you will taste is honey and chocolate, though I did detect a light golden cavendish flavor and extremely mild vanilla after a little puffing. If you liked the original, you'll find this to be a very acceptable alternative. The strength of the blend is potent, and I recommend a small bowl if you’re not used to an intense aro. It may require a little dry time, and the room note is very noticeable in a sweet, pleasant way. Your neighbors will think you're baking a cake, and invite themselves in for a slice.

Kasimir:
An English mixture with a slight aromatic feel. The variety of burleys provide a semi-sweet, earthy nuttiness. The Virginias are slightly sweet, slightly hay tasting. The latakia is a little sweet, smokey and woodsy. The Orientals are mildly spicy. I detect a little anise and a lightly sweet rum topping which mutes the latakia just a mite, though not enough to distract the smoker. The variety of flavors work well together, creating a well balanced mixture for the experienced English aficionado. Aromatic smokers looking for an entry level English with some strength and richness will find this a good place to start.

Loire Valley:
A sweet aromatic with a black cavendish base, though this blend barely has any hints of vanilla. The richness of the raspberry is the predominate flavor. The mango is fairly mild, and I had trouble detecting it. It doesn’t matter because the mild to medium fruitiness of the mixture is very pleasant as is the after taste, and room note. Burns well, cool, and even with no bite and no moisture or harshness at the finish.

Lord of the Manor:
A medium English with the smokey Cyprian latakia taking the lead. The Virginia is a grassy, mildly sweet back up to the lightly nutty, lightly sweet burleys, while the perique provides a very minor spice note. There’s also a buttery, sour woodsy, musty flavor from the Smyrna which is obvious in nearly every puff. The sweetness in the mixture is less than I’ve indicated as there’s some dryness to the smoke. It has enough complexity to keep your interest and enough strength to satisfy your craving for blends in this genre.

Mountain Pass:
A black and Golden cavendish aromatic with a creamy, buttery vanilla custard flavor. By intent, you won’t get much tobacco taste here, except for a touch of honey from the Gold cavendish. Coarse cut with some ribbon, and lightly moist, the entrancing aroma from the tin translates well to the flavor of the smoke and room note. Burns even and cool with no bite, with a rich consistency of taste from start to finish. It somewhat reminds me of Boston Cream Pie with a little extra chocolate.

Old San Francisco:
A medium English with no discernible topping. The dark fired burley is earthy and a little nutty, with some cocoa notes. The latakia is not in full force, though it does offer a little smokey, woodsy depth. The Virginia acts as a slightly citrusy, grassy base for the other components. The perique is a minor player, being slightly plumy with a hint of pepper. The interesting part of the mixture is that some of the flavors are occasionally subtle, and not present in every single puff, with the exception of the dark fired burley. Subtle or obvious, the variety of components burn cool and dry to provide an all day American English smoking blend.

As usual, great snapshot reviews. I must say, the Breckinridge sounds interesting

Wow... lots of great blends to try. Thanks for posting your impressions of them.

Thanks for the reviews, Jim.

How would you rate the Lat level in Court of St. James, compared to R Blend?

Steveaux":dhgbmxkh said:

Nearly the same. It's barely audible in CSJ. R-Blend has slightly more.

JimInks":u9pkum3p said:
Steveaux":u9pkum3p said:

Nearly the same. It's barely audible in CSJ. R-Blend has slightly more.
Good to know. It's on the list for my next TAD.