Jim's Sutliff Private Stock Reviews

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the last of the Sutliff Private Stock blends I was asked to review.

Alexander Bridge:
A mild and tasty mix of red and gold Virginias with some burley. The burley adds a very slight nutty note, and the gold Virginia chips in with a very light lemon hit with a touch of cavendish. There's a lightly added topping that reminds me of red wine, along with a light apricot and honey essence that hints of sweet bread flavor. The flavors expertly meld to create a well balanced semi-sweet all day smoke with no bite, no goop, and an even burn rate.

French Quarter:
A mild to medium slow burning coarse cut plug mixture that may require a little rubbing out. The sweet liquor casing along with vanilla notes from the black cavendish are the star flavors, though there are some earthy toasted burley spots in the mix. There's also a fresh bread flavor that I've noticed in a few other Private Stock blends, too, that adds to a light hint of fruit. A pleasant smoke that may need a little drying time, or the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl can get a little hard, especially if you are a wet smoker.  I consider it to be more of a sipping blend.

Kentucky Planter:
A mild light and dark Kentucky burley blend with a very light cocoa note, a hint of vanilla, abetted by some earthy, nutty flavors. There's a sprinkle of a topping that adds a very tame sweet essence that mostly disappears when you light up. A very small amount of Virginia acts as cooling base. There's not that much complexity here because it's designed to be an all day semi-sweet companion that burns well with no chemical taste to disrupt the experience. I do get more nuance of flavor when I use a wide bowl to smoke it in. Recommended for the OTC smoker who wants a break from drug store blends, and for those want to enjoy a good burley mixture with no bite or goop. If you like Kentucky burley, you'll enjoy this mixture.

Roma Vita:
A mild aromatic with a pleasant amaretto topping and light vanilla subtext provided by the black cavendish. The Virginia is underplayed, adding a light grass note or two. The burley chips in with a little nutty flavor. Thinly cut so it burns well, but don't puff it like a freight train. It leaves a very nice aftertaste, and while it is designed to be an after dinner smoke, it's also good as your all day companion while you go about your business.

Westminster:
The gold Virginia is lightly sweet with a hint of grass coming from the dark Virginia. The Turkish component is rather sparse while the latakia adds the smokey, woodsy flavor one would expect from that ingredient. Experienced English smokers may find the low nicotine level, and overall flavor profile a little too light for their personal taste. It's a mild English blend with no harshness that burns easily, and is nearly an all day smoke that gives a pleasant English flavor for those who want a dose of latakia without being overwhelmed by it.

Cabaret Rouge:
Molto Dulce's cousin. Sweet citrus, cherry, fig and date notes with a molasses flavor. The black cavendish adds a very mild hint of vanilla while the Virginia acts as a cooling base for the cavendish. Needs some drying time, but leave some moisture or you'll lose some of the taste. Burns a little slow and is best sipped for full enjoyment. A pleasant dessert smoke with a pleasing room note, it's also a good outdoor work smoke.