JKP - Photo presentation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
Cracked a tin and tried Jackknife Plug for the first time this evening and felt like taking some photos to mark the occasion.

Not a review...just a presentation to commemorate the occasion, entertain myself and hopefully share a little bit of the unique, elegantly simplistic beauty of the briar and baccy experience. It was a first try of the tobacco and a first smoke in a new pipe so a review would be a little premature obviously. Pipe is a new Stanwell Calabash shape, sans 9mm filter.

First impressions of the smoke were - Fun! "Earthy". Stoudt and strong, but not overly so. No-nonsense...not complicated, but not simple or plain. Detected a few flavors at times that reminded me somewhat of Peterson's Irish Flake. Strength & smokiness builds over the course of the bowl. Burns well considering density, moisture and cut. Nary a bite to be found.

The setup:

World, meet plug. Plug, meet world:

Plug detail - a damn sexy tobacco. In a rugged manly sort of way. Not that I think rugged men are sexy...whatever, here's the dang picture:

Plug sliced - my slicing technique obviously needs work, but it wasn't as difficult to cut as I might have expected.

Rubbed/scrunched/crumbled/wadded easilly to a perfectly packable little wad. Pipe loaded and ready to go:

My ugly mug thoroughly enjoying my new pipe and tobacco. You will have to forgive my rather haggard and unkempt appearance. This is usually my bad side, but my other side has a black eye I got from my wife in Jiu Jitsu today. I love that gal :p :

Nice Pix, thanks for sharing.

I smoked my first bowl of JackKnife Plug this afternoon as well. Unlike anything else I smoked before. Strong, not sweet, with a hint of cocoa or dark chocolate I found. Even better, I have a great little pipe that never found its "tobacco match" but handled JKP wonderfully.

Forget smoking it, I'd eat it with a knife and fork. Then, I'd take any leftovers to the altar and marry it!

Don't mind me...I'm on medication.

I've been cutting mine with a scissors. Works great.
jk10.jpg

Nice photo op, thanks!

I usually use scissors, also, even on the denser plugs such as RB. Revor...now, that requires a knife!

Buddy

Yeah, scissors would probably be easier. I actually thought about using them when I first got the plug, but I'm a dork and figured a knife is just more...romantic. Lol.

Scissors! Excellent!

I've never gotten a hint of cocoa in this stuff, and I've gone through quite a few bowls by now. Even with the expense this will certainly a part of what I laughlingly call my 'regular rotation' (like there's anyuthing regular about it). To me, this could VERY easily become an all day kind of smoke. I don't think the N level is all that high - but not low either...packing and lighting and keeping the bowl going is very easy - after you slice it...as you mention there's little to no bite...it's got a flavor that's nice enough, real tobacco in nature and very agreeable...and perhaps most interesting to me, it's got no flaws (meaning that its one of those middle of the road on this and that kind of items that doesen't lean far enough to the left or right in any aspect to make it disagreeable...no flaws).

A story: So, once upon a time, when you were younger and full of juice, you used to visit friends or maybe go with a buddy somewhere in search of...well...you know! Girls! Right? And on many occasions the buddy was the good looking one (you're just normal). So you'd meet a couple of gals and strike up a conversation and decide to spend some time "gettin' to know each other" and all. The good lookin' friend would pair up with the cuter of the two, etc., etc., etc. So through this process you learn something important. A girl that has no faults can be a pretty darn good thing! Not georgous, not ugly. Not fat but not skinny. Not sparkling yet not devoid of personality. Nice but a little naughty. Agreeable in all regards, easy to spend time with, someone you find yourself going back to see again, and again. Someone you find yourself wanting to spend ALL DAY with. Hmmmm. There are a few other tobaccos out there that I think of being like this. Another is C&D's Briar Fox (recently discovered, thank you very much).

All in all, this is some seriously good and well conceived tobacco!

One of the most fun posts I've seen in months & a nice review - thanks!
Picked up some JKP but I'll let it sit a while - too many others open presently.
Glen

I have 3 tins that I hope will be here tomorrow and a new pipe coming as well! I hope I have as good a time with is as you!!
Thanks for posting the pics!

I've actually found that cutting JKP with scissors causes it to burn horribly and impart a wretched sewer-like taste to the bowl, seeing as that is not how it is supposed to be prepared. After cutting with a knife, the way it's meant to be, the flavors flow romantically and freely across my palate...

...just kidding.

Glad you were kidding, since I was going to have to ask what the heck you were doing with your scissors that would cause them to impart a sewer like taste to your tobacco. :lol: