Jobs vs Gates

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WaydeG":uo9bt205 said:
I invented the chicken caesar salad. Please count how many you've produced over the years and submit a royalty fee of $3.00 per salad..... :)

I think you can see the benefits that both camps brought to the table and I'm not a fan of either. That being said, there are functions on each platform that are better suited to that platform although that gap is quickly closing. I can appreciate both innovators.
...yeah I'm sure you did, and--check's in the mail. :p :) :lol:

The world really was better off with both guys doing their thing. Their dichotomy gave us some different products, the ability to square off and take sides (weirdly, humans like doing that) and created an economy and function we'll use for a long time to come.

puros_bran":vuver82v said:
Hunter5117":vuver82v said:
providing a free development environment.
Umm minus the registration fee? lol

But I am with you, The world is a little darker with his passing.. If for no other reason than his one or two word emails cease..
Uh, yeah. I sold system level, RTOS and embedded software not to mention device driver software for years. Nobody got a free ride from either camp.

puros_bran":m2e5lohw said:
Hunter5117":m2e5lohw said:
providing a free development environment.
Umm minus the registration fee? lol

But I am with you, The world is a little darker with his passing.. If for no other reason than his one or two word emails cease..
Yea I was thinking about that today. Steve got right chatty the past couple of years, might have been his knowledge that the end was near and he wanted to participate in as many ways as possible before the end came.

I have been a registered developer with Apple for quite a few years and have never paid a penny for it. Have full dev access, I just don't get the pre-release versions of iOS etc which I would gladly pay for if I was actively developing.

I guess if you want to get a login to the dev site nowadays you do have to pay the $100 registration fee but considering that also gets you all the beta releases it is certainly worth it. Plus anyone can download the Xcode development kit from the App store for free and develop to their hearts content, when you have the next big thing ready for release, pay then so you can distribute it through the respective app stores.

Sure beats the cost of Visual Studio (which I also used to pay for back when I was also a Microsoft Certified Developer but that has been many years ago).

I wouldn't consider myself a subject matter expert on the topic, but I would say I'm educated enough to pronounce a developed opinion.

I view both Gates and Jobs as the types that were at the right place at the right time. Neither were original; however, I do believe that Gates is the lesser of two evils when it comes to what they've actually accomplished. Sure there's a bunch of debate about whether or not Gates actually developed anything himself or hijacked a culmination of other people's accomplishments yadda yadda... But at the same time I'd much rather pay for microsoft/PC parts than an apple, ever. Hands down, no questions asked. The apple mentality is very "have a car in any color you want, as long as it's black". Similar to super modern cars where you can't work on them yourself and need a computer/dyno through the dealer to do anything with it performance wise. For less money, I can build a machine that out performs anything apple could ever touch for half the price. *Plus I get two buttons on the mouse to boot* I totally understand that if you're using the machine for super serious A/V editing&production apple has some programs that do edge out the competition... But besides that.... Most apple owners that I know just have an $1800-$5000 Facebook machine. The one piece of hardware that apple has produced that I commend them for is the ipod. Coming from an audiophile, they really opened a whole new market to digital media (although I do much prefer analog audio, or at least FLAC format when it comes to digits) that I can't help but commend them for. Microsoft though... They've done the most for my line of work with the military/government realms and to be blunt, apple just isn't capable *at this time* of producing equipment that can do what we would need them to do. So that is why I would have to go with Gates vs. Captain Turtleneck.

Case in point:
24gu8o9.png

The rest are just because I don't care who you are, it's funny.

2uqkdcl.jpg

2d9xn3a.jpg

24w5210.jpg

345f04y.jpg

I used to be part of the IT world, and in it, especially when I was supporting UNIX, it used to be de rigueur
to hate Microsoft. I think this was the case in that MS products were designed for the non-egghead
world; you need to click on many buttons to accomplish a task that could be done with one command with
UNIX - if you could remember the archane command.

alfredo_buscatti":aamdn4pr said:
I used to be part of the IT world, and in it, especially when I was supporting UNIX, it used to be de rigueur
to hate Microsoft. I think this was the case in that MS products were designed for the non-egghead
world; you need to click on many buttons to accomplish a task that could be done with one command with
UNIX - if you could remember the archane command.
I'll never forget back in the mid 90's going down to Ft. Lauderdale to collaborate on a project with a guy at Motorola. Was supposed to be down there for 3-4 days, it wound up being two weeks. So, Friday AM of the second week. Finally I'm done, all the data is collected, my flight's that afternoon, and all we need is to transfer the data. Unfortunately, the Motorola guy was a UNIX fanatic. And he could not quite remember the correct command syntax to transfer the data. Yeah, I would have had to click around on a few buttons to transfer it on my Mac or PC (I had a Mac at work and a PC at the house), but I could have done it in a few minutes. We took all morning. Once the guy finally got the syntax right, I looked at him and made some comment to that effect. I'll never forget his reply. "Yes, but look how powerful this command is." :roll: