John Cotton's Double Pressed Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
John Cotton - Double Pressed Kentucky

This sounds like some seriously good weed.  I just ordered a tin on “sale” (2oz for $14).  I love a good crumble cake.  This is one.  They do it as a flake then tumble it and finally re-press it to the cake format.

Anybody else out there tried this yet???

JimInks sez:  “The smoky, woody, earthy, moderately dry, spicy and floral, nutty, mildly sweet dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, a little tangy dark fruit with hints of sugar, spice and floralness as an important condiment. The fermentation is a tad more obvious here than it is in the JC Double Pressed Virginia manufacture. The double pressing eliminates the sharpness and many of the rough edges one usually encounters with dark fired Kentucky, creating a fairly smooth, mellower, matured Kentucky/Virginia blend. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. It won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool, clean and slow. It has a very consistent, well balanced, fairly rich, modestly sweet (with a little savoriness) flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a lot of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Almost an all day smoke, and the experienced veteran will likely consider it to be one. Those newer to dark fired blends will certainly find it repeatable. Has enough body, depth and nuance to continually hold your interest throughout repeat performances.”

Coming from Jim I take that as high praise. He gives it 4/4 stars.

Blackhorse":8fth53bj said:
John Cotton - Double Pressed Kentucky

This sounds like some seriously good weed.  I just ordered a tin on “sale” (2oz for $14).  I love a good crumble cake.  This is one.  They do it as a flake then tumble it and finally re-press it to the cake format.

Anybody else out there tried this yet???

JimInks sez:  “The smoky, woody, earthy, moderately dry, spicy and floral, nutty, mildly sweet dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The Virginias offer some citrus and grass, a bit of wood and earth, a little tangy dark fruit with hints of sugar, spice and floralness as an important condiment. The fermentation is a tad more obvious here than it is in the JC Double Pressed Virginia manufacture. The double pressing eliminates the sharpness and many of the rough edges one usually encounters with dark fired Kentucky, creating a fairly smooth, mellower, matured Kentucky/Virginia blend. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is just past the center of mild to medium. It won’t bite or get harsh even when pushed. This is an easily broken apart crumble kake designed to suit your packing preference. Burns very cool, clean and slow. It has a very consistent, well balanced, fairly rich, modestly sweet (with a little savoriness) flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a lot of relights. Has a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. Almost an all day smoke, and the experienced veteran will likely consider it to be one. Those newer to dark fired blends will certainly find it repeatable. Has enough body, depth and nuance to continually hold your interest throughout repeat performances.”

Coming from Jim I take that as high praise.  He gives it 4/4 stars.
It does sound seriously good. I am a fan of the Va/DFK combo in general.

Yeah...the only fly in the ointment is that the $20 MSRP is high, by USA standards.  Of course if you lived in the UK or OZ that seems like a pittance.  But the current sale set at $14 with the P&C option for $4 first class shipping kept the total somewhat within reason. Somewhat.  But it just sounded too good to pass up.

And, well...I tossed in a pouch of the latest Edgeworth wannabe just because. Haven’t tried ANY of the remakes yet, so...

I’ll have to give this one a shot. I have been on a Va/Kentucky kick lately. You might also want to grab a pouch on the new Amphora Kentucky blend too. Good price point.

DrumsAndBeer":2jufk44t said:
I’ll have to give this one a shot. I have been on a Va/Kentucky kick lately. You might also want to grab a pouch on the new Amphora Kentucky blend too. Good price point.
I second that. Here's my review of it:

The woody, earthy, floral, dry and lightly sweet, moderately sour, mildly spicy, nutty, smoky dark fired Kentucky is the lead component. The smokiness has a minute barbecue note. The Virginias offer citrus, a little dark fruit, earth and some grass as a secondary player. They take a little of the edge off the DFK. I detect no toppings. The strength and taste levels are just past the medium mark. The nic-hit is a step shy of medium. Won’t bite, but it does have a few rough edges as one would expect from a blend with dark fired Kentucky. Needs a light dry time. Burns cool and clean and a little slow as broken flake mixtures tend to do. The lightly sweet and rather dry, savory flavor is very consistent from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The savory, campfire after taste lightly lingers. It’s not really an all day smoke, but it is a repeatable one, especially if you are a fan of DFK. Those experienced with DFK may consider this to be an all day smoke. It is a little less sweeter and not quite as potent as Mac Baren’s HH Old Dark Fired, though it does have enough punch and body to hold your interest. Three and a half stars out of four.

And here's my review of Amphora Burley, a pouch of which Per Jensen carried in his coat pocket from Denmark to Chicago just to make sure I got it.

The very woody, earthy, nutty, cocoa-ish burleys also sport some rugged savoriness. The savory aspect reminds me of aged burley. A small amount of woody, earthy, lightly spicy and sour, floral, dry and nutty, smoky dark fired Kentucky boosts up the blend in an important condimental role. The grassy, lightly citrusy, slightly floral Virginia is far in the background. There are no toppings as per Per Jensen (I always wanted to write that.). The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level almost reaches medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, though it does have a rough edge at times. It’s not overly sweet, but the sweetness present is natural. A ready rubbed cut mixture that burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish that also translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a little more than an average number of relights. Even though it has a bit of depth and body, it can an all day smoke if you wish.

It's a good time for burley lovers.