John Crosby Sandblast Tulip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZuluCollector

Reaction score
Since I met John Crosby last May in Chicago I've been a fan of his pipes. Until recently, I've only owned one pipe. I recently acquired another. This pipe sports a detailed and well-defined curtain sandblast. The sandblasted bowl finish contrasts with a smooth birdseye-packed plateau and smooth shank-end.
johncrosbypipes5pg2.jpg

From what I understand, it is difficult to precisely place the pipe in the block so that the ring-grain centers at the heel of the bowl. John successfully accomplished this challenge with this pipe. I'm very pleased to have acquired this pipe, especially given that another collector examined before I did and chose to pass on it.
johncrosbypipes10oj9.jpg

I consider myself lucky that my standards are lower than this other collector; I can't imagine why he passed on this pipe. In this third view, this pipe looks to me like it grew right up out of the ground just this way. The pipe's dimensions, finishes, and colors seem organic enough to have been defined by natural forces.
johncrosbypipes14up5.jpg

We have similar tastes. I also have one similar to this blast. But yours looks to be the more difficult shape.

John has a way of sneaking something you like into your email inbox and temping you.

8)

Beautiful.

It looks a lot like the Ben Wade Majestic Nobel Prize I have, though I'd rather have a blast like that than a smooth finish. Very, very nice.