John Patton Virginia Squire

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
I'm working my way through a seemingly neverending collection of samples of various excellent tobaccos from fellow BoBs which I have been fortunate enough to have been the recipient of (many thanks again...you know who ya are).

Yesterday I picked up a baggie marked John Patton's Virginia Squire from 2011 and on a whim loaded it into a new Yakslon pipe. This was only the second or third bowl of anything in this pipe, hardly any cake and it's still probably 60% bare wood inside the bowl. This blend is supposedly composed of 90% 4 types of Virginia with some white burley added.

Lo & behold, it was an absolutely fantastic smoke. A tiny bit bright & sharp at first light, with a customary and familiar virginia sweetness...but with a fantastically delicious nutty and dry bottom note. Shortly after lighting the sharp/sweetness fades a bit and it becomes just deliciously nutty, deep & full (for a predominatly Va mixture at any rate) with very "dry" and subdued sweetness in the background. This continued for the rest of the smoke.

Wondering if this was just some of the new wood flavor coming through I proceeded to have a couple bowls in other pipes that were brokend in and have been used for virginia blends, and the experience was repeated with the same pleasing results.

Still not quite willing to trust my impressions, I smoked two bowls of it today as well in a cob and a new to me GBD digby. Same results, same excellent experience.

It is rather dry but doesn't burn overly fast. According to 4noggins it's supposed to be dry. I generally like my tobacco "fresh" and "moist", but Virginia Squire doesn't lose a thing from the dryness.

I'm not sure what types of virginias are in this mix, but to my tastes they make for a delicious blend. There is only a little of the bright sweetness such as you would get from the virginias in something like say...orlik g/s or c&d sunday picnic. The major flavor for the better part of the bowl to me was a deeper and nuttier taste...and it was fantastic. If it were a sound, it'd be more of a mid-range than a treble, so to speak. Like familiar strummed chords vs a guitar solo. Anyway enough of that nonsense...

I'll definitely be picking up some of this stuff to both cellar and smoke, and at ~$32/lb it's pretty gentle on the tobacco fund account as well. If it sounds like something you might like, I'd absolutely suggest giving it a go.

Anyone else tried this stuff? Impressions? Opinions?

Glad you mentioned that it's supposed to be dry, as compared to the other three J. P. blends I've got, it was far and away the driest. Thought it was an accident, but perhaps not?

I find several (most?) of the J. P. Virginia blends to be good to very good. And as you said, the price can't be beat.

Natch

Yeah, apparently it's supposed to be that way. From the 4nogs site:

"John Patton/tiltjlp blends are drier than most, by design. Please try a few bowls the way they are, you might just be surprised. Then, if you wish to add moisture, please do so by filling your pipe and breathing into the bowl 4-6 times. Drier tobacco smoked slowly will offer you much more flavor than overly moist tobacco smoked quickly"

"Drier tobacco smoked slowly will offer you much more flavor than overly moist tobacco smoked quickly"

Couldn't agree more, and this seems to be especially true of VA tobaccos.

I've also smoked some of the Virginia Squire (recently...thanks to the Ken Exchange thing here :D ) and mine was also very dry in the bag, which was new. My latest 'passion weed' is Stormfront, another Patton thing, and it also comes very dry. I was very suspicious at first, but wasn't in a position to hydrate anything so I went ahead and smoked it...found no problems whatsoever...and figured - no harm, no foul. Or whatever.

4-N's has nine of John's blends and some of them even make me want to try Latakia again...I trust his blending that much. Others that are really excellent, by first hand trails, are: Cool Hand Fluke (VA/Per - stellar), Hodge Podge (a little of this, a little of that, lighty Latakia), Moe's Confetti (I have followed the directions and smokede this only in a cob, with good results) and Gold Nugget Mixture (a 4 Burley plus deertongue thing...nice). Not a bad one in the bunch.

One exciting prospect is that John has said on his site that there is the possibility that a B&M has agreed to carry ALL of his blends, and is in the initial stages of ramping up to get it going. No word, unfortunately, on when they might be ready to roll out the 'open for bidness' sign. I can hardly wait!!!

That is exciting news indeed. I also had a sample of the stormfront and have enjoyed the two bowls of it that I have had so far.

Haven't gotten to the cool hand fluke yet. It was the one I was most interested in from the descriptions, so I figured I'd save it for last to savor the anticipation a bit longer.

My experience with Cool Hand Flake is it's a VaPer where the perique almost dominates. I find it quite noticeable. Their Quadruple Virginia is the same four Virginias as in the CHF, sans the perique. I may experiment by mixing equal portions of each to tone down the perique. Not that heavy perique is a bad thing, just a bit distracting to the Virginia blend for my tastes. All good stuff, though.

Natch

FYI: He's toying around with starting up his blending operation again.
I read a message from him that states he has some new ideas and will be testing the waters again to see if there is any interest. We anxiously wait his decision :D

Glad to hear you enjoy my blends, which yea, are drier by design. Please try a bowl or two the way they come, and then if they seem too dry for your tastes, cup the bowl and breathe into it 4-6 times to add some moisture. Don't rehydrate my blends or you'll ruin their character and flavor profile.

And yes, a B&M has agreed to offer many of my 33 blends online, on a seasonal rotating basis, most probably. From what I've heard, they hope to launch their web site within 6 weeks. Since they have a half dozen never before offered blends, I won't be returning to blending at least for a while, if ever.

Good news and bad news arrives together. Thanks for chiming in John, and very pleased to hear that we're close to having access to the Grail soon. Not pleased, but understanding, of your decision to forego blending. Of course I have many questions about the list that will potentially be available...but I'll not harrass you and just wait til some kind of announcement. Um, there WILL be an announcement...right!??!

Yes, I'm sure there will be. When I know something, you'll know something.

The blender himself honors us with his input! Thank you sir for these fantastic tobaccos.

Just as a follow up, I did get around to trying the Cool Hand Fluke and it too was fantastic although I think the Va Squire remains my favorite. The virginias in these blends really are excellent to my tastes and work very well with the other featured tabacs. The Burley or Perique or cigar leaf provide variety with the virginias seemingly maintaining the theme throughout the 3 blends.

I think the Squire, Stormfront and CHF make quite a trio and seem destined to take up a large percentage of my smoking time for the forseeable future.

I would have replied sooner, but I lost my bookmark. Virginia Squire is one of my favorites too. I think the reasons my Virginia blends work so well is that I took about six months trying many different combinations of Virginias until I found the ones that worked best. Getting an idea for a new blend is much easier than finding what tobaccos'll come together the right way.