John Patton's Oriental Dusk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's disagreement on the benefit of aging Burley...but consider that there are a number of OTHER components in there with the Burley! They will benefit from aging.

That aspect just now kind of hit me as kaiser described his stash back home, aging away. It made me also thing of the Crossroads blend with it's 2 VA's, Izmir and Cigar Leaf...now THAT stuff has gotta age like a champ!

BTW: I just ordered a pound of Crossroads...got hit by, guess what...the price break issue. So the first halfer costs $23 plus flat rate shipping of $8 for a total of $34. That second halfer is just $14 more (that's only a buck seventy-five an ounce) - so it's CHEAP! RIGHT? And think about it...THAT'S the half that you'll be salting away in storage for the future so it's the INVESTMENT half...and therefore the half that likely TASTES THE BEST!!! It's the half that you'l 're-discover' after you get tired of it and then eventuially come back to it again. WOW!!! It's just too good a deal to pass up!

About Storm Front, one thing I will add is that a little time in a jar mellows it out considerably. I ordered 8 ounces of it right after Rich had mixed it and it was a bit edgy at first. 3 months later, it's golden.

DrumsAndBeer":31bmpx7y said:
About Storm Front, one thing I will add is that a little time in a jar mellows it out considerably. I ordered 8 ounces of it right after Rich had mixed it and it was a bit edgy at first. 3 months later, it's golden.
I'm glad to hear that.

It doesn't really matter if the age helps or not. I cannot smoke the TADs as fast as they hit me. The tobacco must age or else I will have the fire department called on me. :D

Blackhorse":gs449ym5 said:
There's disagreement on the benefit of aging Burley...but consider that there are a number of OTHER components in there with the Burley! They will benefit from aging.

That aspect just now kind of hit me as kaiser described his stash back home, aging away. It made me also thing of the Crossroads blend with it's 2 VA's, Izmir and Cigar Leaf...now THAT stuff has gotta age like a champ!

BTW: I just ordered a pound of Crossroads...got hit by, guess what...the price break issue. So the first halfer costs $23 plus flat rate shipping of $8 for a total of $34. That second halfer is just $14 more (that's only a buck seventy-five an ounce) - so it's CHEAP! RIGHT? And think about it...THAT'S the half that you'll be salting away in storage for the future so it's the INVESTMENT half...and therefore the half that likely TASTES THE BEST!!! It's the half that you'l 're-discover' after you get tired of it and then eventuially come back to it again. WOW!!! It's just too good a deal to pass up!
You're preaching to the choir, here, but I don't think She Who Must Be Obeyed would see the logic in that logic. :lol: By the by, I just tried that sample you generously sent me and after only two bowls, it's just about the best burley/cigar leaf blend I've ever smoked. Damn you, pusherman! :twisted:

Natch

Blackhorse sent me a very generous sample of this one in his bomb to me and I have to admit that is is AWESOME. With the reviews of it on here I have been wanting to try it and BH read my mind before I ever thought it when he put it in for me. Smooth with no bite, just plain delicious.

I hope to break open my 1 lb. "sample" in the next couple of days. It sure sounds like I am going to enjoy it.

I am currently smoking my first bowl. When I first opened the bag the aroma reminded me of dipping tobacco. The previous reference to a chewing tobacco is probably the same.

The bowl started with an ammonia like flavor on the tongue. This went away quickly and the cigar flavor became more pronounced. The slight spiciness must be coming from the cigar leaf or the orientals? My initial inclination was a burley and cigar combination.

I am interested in blending this with something else in order to add a creaminess to it. Maybe it is my southern sweet tooth, but I am considering 25% 1-Q with 75% Oriental Dusk and see what it does.

Don't let my sweet nature knock this tobacco. I just like to add some sweet barbecue sauce to my sandwich.

I'd suggest that you give it a few weeks to 'settle in'. The blends I've gotten from 4N's have benefitted a greatr deal from even that small amount of 'melding time'. In two months it will seem like a totally different blend. Also, I'd be carefull to not add something very different in cut to the existing blend. Perhaps something like McClelland's Grey Havens would be better...or a sweet flake that you could rub to about the same consistency...like McClelland's 221b series, Honeydew. Just a few thoughts.

I should have enough to experience it at different ages. ;)

One of the reasons I prefer a pipe to a cigar is the "creaminess" often found with pipe tobaccos. It will be nice if a little age adds that aspect to this blend.

Could you name 3 or 4 blends that you think exhibit that creaminess? I'm not sure I know just what you mean and if I or others here had a handle on it we might figure out what component gives that quality and suggest other blends that would fit your preference.

:) I am sure it is probably Latakia. The Frog Morton Across The Pond has a full sweet barbecue nature. The "silkiness" of Penzance of course. Early Morning Pipe is good too.

Now the dilemma is which tobaccos come close to the silkiness of Latakias without over powering other flavors?

Red Rapparee is one I am trying to love but I do not think I am sold on orientals yet. I find myself enjoying Virginias and Latakias with a little burley as a side dish.

Also I like the hint of cigar in StormFront. The cigar seems a little stronger in Oriental Dusk unless the oriental tobaccos are just emphasizing the sharper nature of the cigar leaf.

I just finished a cob full. I decided to try it in a cob with a filter. It seems the cob has quieted some of the spiciness. It has been a nice enjoyable smoke this morning. The nicotine level is just right for one sitting.

Comparitively...you would find 'Crossroads' less spicy and 'Dark Horse' more spicy. Just sayin'.

I'll be trying a new one soon...'Dehli Township'. While the name implies that this would be another one chock full of Orientals and Latakia, it's not. It's described as Stoved Virginia with lesser amounts of Burley, and 15% Perique makes for a slightly sweet, smoky blend.

It might be something you'd like. Descriptive statements include:

"This blend is a bit milder...the mix of stoved Virginia and burley works nicely with the Perique...a good, balanced flavor that...a nice break from heavier blends." and

"...there is a spicy tingle in the mouth...The perique is not strong...The percentage was just right for me. It's earthy, nutty and slightly salty on the palate...very pleasant. I did not get any sweetness from the stoved virgina but rather a darker fuller flavour making for a Smokey blend. When I was smoking this tobacco I had an urge to have a pint of dark ale..." and

"This is an interesting Virginia blend, with just the right dash of Perique for my tastes...no bite whatsoever...a nicely composed smoke with good mouth feel. My wife told me...the room note was "really nice", which is a definite plus."

I named this one Delhi Township for the community I lived for over 35 years, and not for any more exotic location. Which might be why there weren't Orientals in the mix.