John Patton's Oriental Dusk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I recently purchased 4 ounces of JP's Oriental Dusk from 4noggins. Boy this stuff really blew me away.

I don't know if there is another blend out there quite like this in flavor. It has a sweet/sour/semi bitter taste that is so close together that it's almost one flavor, but not quite. It's more like these primary flavors are on the verge of eclipsing one another. The overall result is both harmonious and a more opulent overall flavor and depth. Once truly lit and stoked up a bit, what comes forth is a lush spiciness that's subtle yet rich and somewhat potent both in aroma and on the palate.

Like with Storm Front, the cigar leaf is wonderfully represented. It plays host, laying a foundation for an array of exotic woodsy cedar & mesquite like flavors. Perhaps the most interesting flavor is this barnyard-like aroma that's intertwined with a rich melted dark chocolate tone. This aroma also permeates the unsmoked pouch aroma. I have made a lot of desserts from scratch in my time and it reminds me of melted Valrhona 66% cacao chocolate, or a high quality semi sweet Guittard. This flavor provides a base for other accent flavors that taste like a myriad of slightly different dark black pepper-like spice tones all crammed tightly together. I really couldn't dissect these spice flavors very easily, but I was more than satisfied accepting the experience for what it was and leaving it at that. Sometimes aspects of really great smokes don't need words to describe them, they're just that, Really Great. Moreover, this stuff is just plain fantastic. It's complex, powerful, densely-layered, mouthwatering, & yeah, difficult to put in words, but it's really something to behold and you should try it. :)

How is it that this blend was unavailable (except for special order) up until recent? :?:

Anyway, Rich at 4 noggins did a superb job blending this John Patton mixture. I only wish I could taste this blended by John himself. I only say that because this stuff really knocked my socks off. However since the latter is not possible, I'll gladly settle for another artist's (Rich's) rendition.

Ok, you piqued my interests. Have you tried C&D Oriental Silk? I wonder how the two compare. I'm intrigued by the idea of Oriental Silk with cigar leaf.

Sounds like a fantastic Oriental. Is the chocolate flavor topping; does it matter?

Sweet/sour/semi-bitter. What a combination! Opulent, complex, powerful, densely-layered, mouthwatering. Gotta try it.

Thanks for the review; perhaps the tobacco is difficult to describe, but the review gives me a good idea of what I might find. Thanks!

Dave_In_Philly":w5po1io0 said:
Ok, you piqued my interests. Have you tried C&D Oriental Silk? I wonder how the two compare. I'm intrigued by the idea of Oriental Silk with cigar leaf.
I haven't had Oriental Silk, although it is on my list of to-do's.

Wanna swap samples?

alfredo_buscatti":ejr5bpwx said:
Sounds like a fantastic Oriental. Is the chocolate flavor topping; does it matter?
I don't think it's a topping, if it is I'd be surprised. The primary unsmoked aroma, and I am laughing to myself thinking about it, is dark chocolate dipped hay bale. I swear it's strange.

Anyway, obviously I really liked it and I hope others do to.

Thanks to Blackhorse on the recommendation.

I have to add this one to my list of tobacco to try.

Just got in a lb of Oriental Dusk, and will get to it this weekend. Had a very generous sample from BH a while back and will be looking forward to comparing this fresh blend.

I also smoke Oriental Silk regularly these days, and will try and make a note to compare these one bowl after another. Oriental Silk is really fine btw.

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

RR

alfredo_buscatti":g46neclx said:

Sweet/sour/semi-bitter. What a combination! Opulent, complex, powerful, densely-layered, mouthwatering. Gotta try it.

Thanks for the review; perhaps the tobacco is difficult to describe, but the review gives me a good idea of what I might find. Thanks!
None of my blends have any toppings or casings added by me.

DrumsAndBeer":azvmsogr said:
Anyway, Rich at 4 noggins did a superb job blending this John Patton mixture. I only wish I could taste this blended by John himself. I only say that because this stuff really knocked my socks off. However since the latter is not possible, I'll gladly settle for another artist's (Rich's) rendition.
Should be the same as if I blended it myself, since Rich uses the same tobaccos I did, and follows my recipe. Glad you enjoy it.

I'm so glad this one is finally getting some of the attention it deserves, as I've been yelling about it for some time now.

When I ordered my first half pounder some time ago Rich at 4-N's was totally out of Cigar Leaf, which is a required component...as was his supplier (which I'm pretty sure is C&D). Not wanting to wait, I told him to ship the blend without the cigar leaf and mark clearly how much needed to be added to make it 'true' to the recipe...as I had quite a lot of C&D blending cigar leaf in hand. Rich reluctantly (I think) agreed and sent it along, unfinished. The point is, that I know exactly how much the ratio of cigar leaf is in the blend. So...in my lot Rich indicated that I should add 1.75 oz. of cigar leaf to make what he sent a total of 8 oz. Therefore, in a pound, there is 3.5 oz. which is close to 22%! I should say it's a significant amount. Well, that's just as a matter of interest.

After my initial taste of O.Dusk I was mesmerized. Here was a completely new and unique blend, at least to me. No...it doesn't taste like a cigar as blends with that condimental addition seldom do. But the depth and roundness that it adds are significant. Other than that it's, what...VA/Burley and Oriental (and no one will tell me what that Oriental is, but I'm guessing Turkish Izmir from the flavors). John says that the flavors are dominated by the Oriental and Cigar Leaf...and I find this to be the case. Nicely deep flavors and well rounded, a real delight.

Now...to make this interesting, let's compare it to another Patton blend that is currently speciial order (8 oz min) only...Crossroads. This one is cited as being VA (80% of three VA's), Turkish Izmir, and Cigar Leaf. So it lacks the Burley component of the above. Again, I ordered this at the same time as the above...so it came sans cigar leaf whcih I added per Rich's directions...which was 0.5 oz to make an 8 oz. total batch...so it's 1.0 oz. per pound.

So in very round numbers, O.Dusk is about 22% and Crossroads is about 6%...thus O.Dusk has 4 times the cigar leaf in it.

And from that we can get the rough recipe for Crossroads as 80% VA + 6% Cigar Leaf, so the Izmir should be about 14% - 15%.

Be that as it may...Crossroads is lighter by far than O.Dusk. Compared to Oriental Silk, it's slightly deeper (might be the cigar leaf there) and more full from top to bottom. When I first got it, I was a bit underwhelmed...then, being a VA heavy blend...it sat for a bit and I re-tried...and KA-BOOM! WOW! Light and more subtle than other blends I've geen playing with...but the blending of flavors again was incredible, and as a first smoke of the day...unequaled. Smoke a bowl if this one after a bowl of O.Dusk or Storm Front and you won't get it. Smoke it first and it shines. This is not the baseball bat experience of Storm Front or O.Dusk...much lighter...but not an ultra-light as the flavors are pronounced...just excellent stuff all around.

And concerning the topping/casing questions/comments? John said his components are not cased, etc. 'after' he get's them. But prior to that they certainly are, as are nearly 100% of all tobaccos, which is common knowledge. Both the Storm Front and O.Dusk have a characteristic fruity aroma in the pouch, what I call 'apricot' or at least near it to my old tired nose. You get this on opening a jar after it's been sitting a bit and it's pronounced, as well as delicious. So Crossroads lacks this note...so I'm guessing it's in the Burley prior to being received by the blender. So at least the Burley is cased at some point...like it always is.

So here we have three Cigar Leaf blends from John...Storm Front, Oriental Dusk and Crossroads. What a trio they make! Of my current top ten blends, all three have their place...damn close to to top, too. Nuff said.

PS: Drums & Beer...VERY fine review, by the way.

BH, quit yelling. :lol:

D&B, fantastic review...I need to experience this myself...when I do, let's compare notes. 4Noggins needs an order from me in the future.

*dials plasma center*

8)

Wow, Excellent Info Blackhorse, thanks.

For having 22% cigar leaf, it's amazing how many non-cigar like flavors sing in O. Dusk. Don't get me wrong, you get a bit of the cigar, but the true magic it in the synergy of the all the components. I think the chocolate tones that I experienced come from the presence of the cigar leaf, but the Orientals add even more depth and accentuate these tones creating something really special.
I too get a bit of the apricot fruit scent that you described, but I would say that Storm Front has a bit more of it. I too would imagine it's the burley, especially since SF has such a high percentage of it. To me this scent is practically a dead-ringer for that of Carter Hall.

Anyway I smoked another bowl of O. Dusk last night and I was just as impressed. :D

Open your bag of O.Dusk and look in there. Among all the brown leaf there are chunks of black, heavy leaf that are really hard and tough. Pick out a half dozen and crush/roll them in your palm, then take a carefull whiff (no need to snort it...lol). What aroma do you detect?

You obviously have a better nose and excellent descriptive abilities than I do. I want to see if you get the same thing I do.

Blackhorse":35j8m3p9 said:
Open your bag of O.Dusk and look in there. Among all the brown leaf there are chunks of black, heavy leaf that are really hard and tough. Pick out a half dozen and crush/roll them in your palm, then take a carefull whiff (no need to snort it...lol). What aroma do you detect?

You obviously have a better nose and excellent descriptive abilities than I do. I want to see if you get the same thing I do.
I detect two darker leafs more black in hue, one where the aroma reminds me of a loose leaf chewing tobacco like Red Man or Levi Garrett. The other which is the one I think you are referring as it's a lot tougher in texture smells sweet and a bit like black pepper.

I recently purchased 4 ounces of JP's Oriental Dusk from 4noggins. Boy this stuff really blew me away.
Could not you have just ended your post and thread here? You guys are KILLING me. I do not have a problem reading a simple review, but then everyone else keeps piling on.

I found myself in a weakend state yesterday and ordered a pound to sample this. A freakin POUND.

Okay, I trust you guys and I believe in time I will find it in my heart to forgive you. Where is that mailman?

Well if you have a large enough pipe and a few days to yourself, a pound isn't really that big of a sample. :affraid:

And I agree. Once you get past that 8oz price break, you might as well dive in. I mean who just wants 8 ounces right?

J Soshae":8efpawzr said:
That quantity price break gets me every time. :)
I hear ya on that one. Based on the Storm Front reviews I got a pound of it at home aging in my cellar. At 36.99 a pound you can't really go wrong. In the event you don't like it there are always trades available which is one of the cool things about this site. My SF is sitting on like 6 months right now since it went into Ball jars (yes I know that is nothing) but will be up over a year of aging before I ever get to try it out.