John Patton's Oriental Dusk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tiltjlp":pbmf585m said:
If I didn't know I was a bum I could easily get a swelled head.
That's the first time you've made me chuckle, JP. :lol: Meanwhile, enjoy the praise, you earned it.

8)

Last November when I read DrumsAndBeer's great review of this tobacco, I bought some; bought more quickly, again in December and again in January. To my tastes, and I know this is vague, I taste fully but my translator lacks words, my best smokes were in November and December. The Oriental tobacco combined with the others to produce an elegant, clearly defined complexity; that is, I could taste the elements more separately than in other so-called complex tobaccos. I loved this separate, spare, elegance as well as what to me was a unique taste, not having smoked many Orientals.

The tobacco dropped from my rotation in January as I was smoking maybe once a day and preferred an HO for my only smoke. The order I received from Rich at 4noggins then tasted differently as he was using a new tobacco. I still liked it very much but it was no longer stellar. When I decided to smoke more lately I thought to get back to the stellar version and opened a jar from November, but time has now altered it such that it smokes much more like the version with the new tobacco.

I still love it, but I am no longer enraptured:).

Blackhorse":ewjf7wwp said:
:( What a sad story. :(

I still include this blend as one of my top three and would gladly name it as my all time favorite.
There was a generous portion of OD included when I was bombed last week. It was the one blend I chose to keep out for immediate smoking - holy smokes this is really, really amazing stuff. There are a lot of blends that I like, and there is a small handful of blends (maybe 3-5) that I find to be great and that I always return to. OD is mindblowingly good. Granted, I'm only three bowls, in and more will have be ordered before I can honestly say it ends up falling into the second category, but I cannot imagine a world in which I don't keep this in my regular rotation. The way the Turkish (I assume it's Turkish, anyway) ebbs and flows throughout the bowl is something that I really dig - sort of the same way Izmir behaves in GLP's Embarcadero (one of those other blends I can't get enough of).

Izmir...Smyrna...Turkish...same-same.

That's what you're tasting all right.

To me it's the characteristic Patton profile with all that other stuff bouncing around in there. Oh...and that it tastes good.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't take very long for tobacco to begin aging. which means changing. The fact that I add nothing to my blends beyond with the supplier used to processs the individual tobacco might possibly speed up aging. I hope you all find that my blends are all enjoyable as they progress through their aging process.

I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two. I also enjoy them aged but rarely seem to have them long enough to see what that would be like. :lol:

Blackhorse":0ppwl85y said:
I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two.
Me too. Reminds me of how enjoyable Steven Books's tobaccos are right when you get them.

Given my current taste preferences (and as we all know these dash and frisk around capriciously like a Spring pony) I could very easily be satisfied with a trio from JP as my only blends...being Crossroads, Oriental Dusk and Storm Front. Heck, the names alone make me happy.

Of course I would somewhat mourn the loss of that occasional blast of Gawithian brutality. Sort of a 'when you' re slapped you'll take it and you'll like it' kinda thing.

But with the trio above it's like dating hottie triplets...each one is sufficient unto herself to provide complete satisfaction, but if coordinated end to end in succession they provide never ending refreshment. Use them and abuse them in the order given.

Note: smoker need not be wearing a beater shirt for full enjoyment

Blackhorse":sdi68qmk said:
I'm just really pleased that I find them so enjoyable fresh out of the mixing bowl without having to wait a year or two. I also enjoy them aged but rarely seem to have them long enough to see what that would be like. :lol:
Hear, hear. Ya done good, JP.

idbowman":ez373dxa said:
It was the one blend I chose to keep out for immediate smoking - holy smokes this is really, really amazing stuff.
I know, right? I barely like Crossroads more than this, but its real close.

If you like O. Dusk so much you should try Dark Horse. It's close, but a little deeper and darker. Or...just keep going with the O. DUSK...no point arguing with a winner. I like it fresh so much I usually order by the half pound when I'm at the 1 oz. mark and mix the two. But then, the cost for the pounder is so good...Hmmm.

Dark Horse may be my favorite blend right now. I can't stop smoking it!

Oriental Dusk, Crossroads, Storm Front, Dark Horse, plus Cool Hand Luke, Virginia Squire, Quad VA, Cathy's Clown, and one or two others are all winners afaic.

Did I mention I like tiltjp blends?

:D

Cheers,

RR

I've got to pile on here. A really enjoyable blend. Of this, Dark horse, and Stormfront, it is my favorite I think. Took a few bowls to get the right pack and cadence but then it sang!