John Patton's Oriental Dusk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mean to cause a recurrence of heartbreak but I've begun working through the little I have and it's too good to go completely without comment. Sorry Brothers.

Why doesn't someone whip up a match to it? A bit of this, some of that, you know........

Ozark Wizard":9hlq866u said:
Why doesn't someone whip up a match to it? A bit of this, some of that, you know........
Yeah, why don't you? :lol!:

juanmedusa":4ezm952z said:
Ozark Wizard":4ezm952z said:
Yeah, why don't you? :lol!:
As they say in poker.......

Call.

Once I get my hands on some I'll get on a 'match'. Sounds right up my alley.

I'd love to contribute to this worthy quest by I've got less than an ounce. :silent:

There was a partial recipe listed somewhere here. I think if Mr. Ozark were to do a proper topic or post search he Wight at least find a component list. It's a start.

One of the reasons 4 Noggins stopped producing this on special order was they said they could no longer obtain all the component tobaccos. Right. They're selling used bridges and prime Florida vacation properties on aisle ten.

Blackhorse":8hb01qlf said:
There was a partial recipe listed somewhere here. I think if Mr. Ozark were to do a proper topic or post search he Wight at least find a component list. It's a start.

One of the reasons 4 Noggins stopped producing this on special order was they said they could no longer obtain all the component tobaccos.  Right. They're selling used bridges and prime Florida vacation properties on aisle ten.
If I could get to isle 10, I could certainly use a bridge. All the waterways are flooded and I can't get off the mountain........

Sooo, Mr. Horse, do I just plug I a search into this little window thingy and look for Patton recipes, or do I need to use the name of the blend itself?

Re a search. I would doubt it would be listed as a recipe...more as a comment in a thread, a conversation kinda thing. I'd maybe look for posts as opposed to thread titles and use the blend name as the search criteria.

I assume if you had a good sample you would pick apart all the components, put them in little piles, weigh them with a centigram scale to get the ratios and then try to recreate the blend using guessed at matches to the original tobaccos? Seems like a rational approach. It would only be as good as your ability the guess what those original components were. I'll see if I have any left around here to assist you in your wild and crazy plan.

If this succeeds, The Wiz will very quickly become one of my favorite people in the universe. I'm down to my last 1/2 oz of Dusk, and it is KILLING me to think that that's all she wrote.

Blackhorse":nf03zg3n said:
Re a search. I would doubt it would be listed as a recipe...more as a comment in a thread, a conversation kinda thing. I'd maybe look for posts as opposed to thread titles and use the blend name as the search criteria.

I assume if you had a good sample you would pick apart all the components, put them in little piles, weigh them with a centigram scale to get the ratios and then try to recreate the blend using guessed at matches to the original tobaccos? Seems like a rational approach. It would only be as good as your ability the guess what those original components were. I'll see if I have any left around here to assist you in your wild and crazy plan.
I found related topics from around 2012. Seems like it comes and goes, eh?

What I can gather, it's got:

Virginia, most likely like what he might use in Crossroads. So, some dark flue cured, a bit of smooth Canadian, perhaps aged Cavendish cut too...
Burley, probably dark aged to provide a chocolate note
Cigar leaf, maybe Maduro, if it grabs the back of your throat
Oriental, Turkish was suggested. That's pretty vague. However, I find that most house blenders utilize what they have, well, in house. Use the materials at hand, right? A look at 4noggin's site suggests (to me anyway) Izmir. I tend to prefer Xanthi or Macedonian myself, as they tend to be 'brighter' in flavor, but then, Patton tends to run in a smoother vein with his blends...

Now, anyone that could help with the way the weeds were cut might help too. Cubed burley? Shag Oriental?

The Turkish is Turkish...Smyrna or Ismir (aren't they pretty much the same). But then...VA...could be anything. Burley too. Maybe the divide and visualize method thing would be good there. And the Cigar leaf...Connecticut? Ecuadoran Sumatra? Yeah, it's an issue.

O. Dusk is one of those more than meets the eye blends, in that a lot of the tobacco used is very similar in color. I would think that it would be quite a chore distinguishing the various bits and pieces of leaf from one another.

Maybe a kidnapping is in order. Who's the closest brother to 4noggins? We can get answers.

(This is satire. I do not condone its content in reality. Don't do anything improper. Even if it yields a good recipe.)

Blackhorse":pxkyy7l4 said:
The Turkish is Turkish...Smyrna or Ismir (aren't they pretty much the same). But then...VA...could be anything. Burley too. Maybe the divide and visualize method thing would be good there. And the Cigar leaf...Connecticut? Ecuadoran Sumatra? Yeah, it's an issue.
No kidding..... An issue on all counts.. His blends tend to stick to the same VAs as far as I can tell though.

Maybe a hybrid of Storm Front and Crossroads. Both paired together seem to fit the description

Blackhorse":g25l7d32 said:
Well...John Patton still is around...I think.

Here's his page...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/u547
Well.......... shoot then guys, hit him up for a pound or two of his stuff for your cellars! Maybe he'll whip out a batch! I'll go check him out, it'll be great!

Thanks for the link!

Your idea of the 50/50 blend won't work...it would give it way too much Burley I think. It might be a good blend...but it would be far from O Dusk.

And John won't whip up anything...he's done blending.

Sure would be nice e to get his recipe for O Dusk though. And recreating it really would need a recipe. Even a few percent of any one ingredient off one way or the other would effect a significant change. They (and moat blended recipes) are that finely tuned. Especially his blends...very carefully balanced.

Blackhorse":oydqvdr1 said:
Well...John Patton still is around...I think.

Here's his page...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/u547
It's interesting that someone who's listed tobacco is: Most any, especially Mac Baren. could be behind the Patton blends. I love me some Mac Baren tobacco but they do seem to be two different worlds to me.