JRR Tolkien

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
I just picked up my most battered and beat up 50th Anniversary one Volume Edition of The Lord of the Rings ( my first printing hard covers dont get read) I was just reading the post on smoking while reading and I was thinking about how much I thoroughly enjoy reading TLOR whilst smoking my pipe. I just picked up a copy of it for zach the other day at the store because I noticed it missing from his library. Just wondering who else has smoked and enjoyed this literary masterpiece??

Yep and I listen to Soundgarden's Superunknown record with it. For some reason it works.

Absolutely - Tolkien said himself that he got to a point where he felt he couldn't write without smoking, so it only makes sense to read his work while also smoking! (Failing that, i just love to smoke my pipes and love Tolkien anyway.)

Whilst on the Tolkien topic was anyone planning on going to see the Hobbit in the theater? Zach myself and out two beautiful ladies were planning on doing the midnight showing

The family and I will be seeing the Hobbit when it comes out.

As to reading the Middle Earth tales while puffing I've had the pleasure of combining them on occasion....only seems right. :)

I just finished the Hobbit a few days back and so I've just begun reading through the Lord of the Rings.

My Good friar who is your favorite character and why? Gimli is mine... quite the hardass while great comic relief at the same time.

Gimli is a fantastic character! Though sadly I must admit my exposure to him has been limited to the Peter Jackson movies. This is actually my first time reading the LotR series. I only finished reading the Hobbit for the second time. After reading it I realized what I've been missing out on which it what prompted me to dive into the LotR now.

So...I'll have to withhold an answer at the moment. However, concerning the Hobbit I quite enjoyed the character Beorn...fierce strength but a pleasant enough host.

I'm reading LOTR to my kids right now, well...not "right" now. But, we read it every night. We're in The Council Of Elrond. I just finished The Hobbit with them and plan on reading LOTR straight through. Great stuff, and I can't wait to see The Hobbit movie.

One of my fondest memories was my father reading the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy to us as kids. I've read them since probably 10 or twelve times. I never get tired of them.

I can't wait to see the Hobbit, but I hope they stay true to the book. I heard its going to be a three part series.

Favorite book to read with my pipe. I reread it every 3 or 4 years. Such a well written tale.

I plan on seeing the movie as well. When Jackson's FOTR came out I had very low expectations but was very impressed how close to the book he kept the story. And the descriptions of the book he put on the big screen as I would have imagined it. Now I have high hopes for The Hobbit, I hope he does not disappoint. Probably will be the first film I have scene in a movie theater in 3 years.

I have read The Hobbit every spring since I was first given a copy when I was 12. Just seems a great read out of doors as the world grows warm after winter.

I just finished reading LotR over the summer and my pipe was with me the whole way. Smoking a good tobacco from a pipe just seemed to add something to the story, and vice versa.

And my wife and I will be in theaters to see The Hobbit opening day.

My wife and I are planning the midnight showing, too. Pipes and Tolkien work perfectly.

LOTR was my favourite book when I was a kid; must have read it through 4-6 times back then. When I finally released my copy to a used book store a few years ago to make room in my constantly overflowing bookshelf, it felt like an era had changed.

I'm definitely going to see the Hobbit though. It's a book my dad used to read to me when I was a kid. And oh, even with the risk of sounding awfully girly - I wanna see it for Richard Armitage. :lol:

LOTR addict here, too. :bounce: I'll admit something weird now :geek: ... I don't like seeing movie versions of my fave books because the character(s) I create in my head from the books are replaced with the movie actors/characters. Stupid, weird, whatever, but .... still, I thought Jackson did a helluva respectable job on the LOTR movies. I loathed the thought of him trying to do the books until my friends talked me into seeing them in the theater. I expect the Hobbit should be equally well done.

Weird or not, I'm exactly the same way, Tony. There are to this day a number of book-adapted movies I refuse to see for precisely that reason. I'm glad to meet someone else with the same sensible reaction to the matter... I'm more used to my family and friends thinking I'm nonsensical when they ask me to come see a movie based off a book I enjoyed.

Having said all of that, however, I dearly love Jackson's rendition of The Lord of the Rings and my wife and I are also eagerly awaiting the Hobbit movies. What can I say? Rules are made to be broken.

Cheers,

-Chad

Tolkien is probably my favorite author of all time.

If you're in the holiday spirit, and you haven't already, you should check out his "Letters From Father Christmas". It's a collection of letters, drawings, and other memorabilia written by Tolkien for his kids, presumably from Father Christmas. It reads like a fanzine, if you are into that sort of thing.

Letters From Father Christmas