Quantcast

JT Cooke pipes.

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Smoke_House

Reaction score
Great forum guys. My usual forum focuses on lower grade pipes and this site is wealth of info on higher grades. On to the point...

I prefer to buy North American carvers for a variety of reasons and am gradually selling my euros. Most NACs have a website, but I can't find one for Cooke. Anyone know a shop, internet or B&M, that sells his work? His blasts look great and I wanna taste the fine reputation he's built.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Occasionally one shows up on eBay. I think he has done some sales at Chicago. You may have to do some research to find his contact info.

Dock

Reaction score
You may want to consider buying one of JT's pipes as an estate.His current waiting list is roughly 3 years long and his prices are quite high.I'm up to five now and all of mine were bought presmoked at pipe shows.Below are a few from my collection:

Best,
D.J.

Smoke_House

Reaction score
I just noticed that one too! New and an easy score. Unfortunately, I just paid a very large bill and a $1000 pipe is out of the question. Are you aware of any dealers that regularly sell Cooke's pipes? I peruse a number of online dealers (when I should be working, of course), but never see new/non-estate JT's.

Since you own a few, how do you feel about his pipes? I own a couple Roush purchased new and they are fantastic, but JT is up yet another price bracket. I realize this is a very subjective topic...

Dock

Reaction score
Smoke_House":wubkblkg said:
I just noticed that one too! New and an easy score. Unfortunately, I just paid a very large bill and a $1000 pipe is out of the question. Are you aware of any dealers that regularly sell Cooke's pipes? I peruse a number of online dealers (when I should be working, of course), but never see new/non-estate JT's.

Since you own a few, how do you feel about his pipes? I own a couple Roush purchased new and they are fantastic, but JT is up yet another price bracket. I realize this is a very subjective topic...
I've finally got around to smoking all of them and there really is'nt a "dud" in the lot! One thing though,Cooke uses a smaller draft hole than I'm used to.I have to pack the pipe slightly looser to compensate for this.

The one that BuB posted a link to from Briar blues is an absolute steal IMO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
D.J.

Smoke_House

Reaction score
I agree, a easy score. However, I don't really like that particular shape. Someone did though... it's gone now!

Bruce

Reaction score
JT Cooke does not have a website. Heck, he doesn't even have an email address and I believe he does not do any business via PC/Internet.

Very nice guy, down to Earth and passionate about his pipes!

ZuluCollector

Reaction score
I have had mixed experiences with Cooke pipes. I've only had five of them and now I have just two. They have all been good, but some have been better than others as smokers. One just didn't smoke well for me at all but I understand from its owner - who is a friend of mine - that it has really come into its own. It probably just wasn't a pipe for me. (It was a virgin blasted Dublin)

I'm not all that crazy about Cooke's mouthpieces. I find the engineering a bit tight - as Dock has mentioned - and the stem at the button is sometimes a bit thick. Still, when it comes to a North American pipe artisan that is very desired, if Cooke isn't at the top, he sure is in the top two or three.

The canted apple pictured below is a very good smoker and an interesting and unusual shape when it comes to Cookes. I find this pipe to be uncommonly sweet, very balanced, and quite cool.

I also like this blast considerably more than Cooke's more recent work which is considerably craggier.

People buy Jim's pipes because they LOVE his craggy blasts. Personally, I think he is also capable of creating very interesting and quite beautiful shapes; he just doesn't do that as much as he used to.

I have a smooth bulldog that is one of the most beautiful pipes I own. It is amazing in every way and yet it would not fetch much on the resale market (probably) because it isn't blasted. As somebody who puts shape first and finish second, I don't understand this, but I know it is true.

Bruce

Reaction score
Wow Neill....that smooth rhodesian is beautiful!
I also noticed the bit is thinner on the apple. The one thing that turns me off about his pipes are the bits....too wide, thick, and bulky for me.
I have a black blasted billiard from him, and the blast is stunning! I haven't smoked it yet because the bit bothers me.