JT Cooke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
The Columbus pipe show is coming up and I see that Cooke will be there which presents a rare opportunity, I assume, to buy one of his pipes. Does anyone have any experience with them as smokers? If so, what do you think?

I have only seen them in pictures with one exception. A fellow came up to Keith Toney, at the time from Knoxville Cigar Co., and showed him an outstanding Cooke sandblast at the 2005 Chicago show. It was incredible. Very deep, but tight, ringblast billiard in a brown stain. Only one I have actually seen.

Cooke drills his pipe's draft holes a bit smaller than average - 3.5 mm. Also, he makes the slots in the bit so that it has the same surface area as a 3.5 mm circle. The idea being that any dramatic changes in the area of the smoke channel will creat turbulence. Fascinating stuff really. My question, and this is an aside really, is does he make the bits so that the whole length of the smoke channel has that same ares? that would be pretty cool. He'd have to do some careful shaping to maintain that area.

I've never smoked one, but i hear they're great. Make sure you get there early, maybe even get a table just so as you can get inside ahead of the crowd. His pipes sell before 10:30 am usually.

I have had a number of Cooke pipes. I presently have two and they are both excellent smokers. I had one that I didn't particularly like so I traded it. Its new owner likes it very much.

For my personal tastes, I find that they run a bit on the big side for me.

If you love sandblasted finishes, you will likely enjoy a J.T. Cooke. They are stunning.

If you are serious about getting one, you need to get there the night before and find Jim and take a look. Often they are gone by morning.

I have a handfull, all straight billiards. The last one was purchased perhaps in 2000 or 2002. They smoke very well, but what I like in them is the shape, and that's why they were bought. The bowl cross section ends in a V at the bottom, which I'm not crazy about, but not as sharply as others. The coating in several of the pipes fell off after a few years of smoking, showing pristine unburned wood underneath. I also wish that the draft hole was larger. But these are all minor things and, overall, I think they are very good pipes.

Cooke makes absolutely gorgeous pipes and I'm lucky enough to own several. As mentioned the draws aren't as open as some prefer but any good pipes repairman can open them up for you at a reasonable cost....

Best,
D.J.

Cookes are my main collecting focus. Yep, they are definately great pipes! Other than getting a great smoke, you get a pipe that is uniquely Cooke in both shape and style. His blasts are the best, but I am partial to his smooths, which are now becoming very difficult to find.

The air channel is 3.5mm, which does not, IMO, effect the smoking quality. I do have one early production Cooke (Levin days) that must have a restricted airway somewhere in the stem...it whistles when blown though. Still smokes good though.

If you have the opportunity (act FAST), and the dough (700 plus), pick one up. Ebay is the place if you want one relatively quickly, but I often see them go for more than an estate pipe should go for. Supply and demand...

Stay away from his early works...Cooke himself will tell you that. His later works 2000 and up, is the finest example of his work.

Got to meet Cooke this morning at the Columbus Show--very nice guy. He had about 6 pipes available all of which were absolutely stunning blasts. (Although I was sorely tempted to buy a Cooke, I ended up buying a Michael Parks grade V Canadian.)

Does he self-pour lucite or vulcanite stems? Is there anyone else out there pouring their own stem stock? I find that an incredible area of creativity that doesn't get talked about much. I know some carvers have special stem stock made for them, but to making your own?

Chris Askwith was fooling around with pouring his own stem stock - I don't know if it went forward or backward. This was probably a year ago.

My luck I'd burn my house down if I tried that. I get enough excitement with bending stems. I usually wear gloves now. :roll:

Zombie thread! 8) Though I have wondered if people have attempted to pour their own stem material.

One of the recent Cooke auctions mentions him pouring the "tuxedo" stem.

A celebration might be in order. For the first time ever, I opened up a new JT Cooke pipe announcement, and it was still available. A beautiful, robust billiard. I didn't buy it at $875, but I was still excited to have a shot at it. Kind of depressing to think that is all it takes.

Zeno Marx":7sx5sdxq said:
Does he self-pour lucite or vulcanite stems?  Is there anyone else out there pouring their own stem stock?  I find that an incredible area of creativity that doesn't get talked about much.  I know some carvers have special stem stock made for them, but to making your own?
He talks about making his stems on an Oom-Paul podcast. I believe he does pour almost all of his lucite (or similar) stems. I don't believe he mentioned vulcanite. I'm doubtful you can pour vulcanite, but who knows, it is very rarely mentioned/discussed.

I have known Jim and bought many of his pipes from his early days. The man is a wizard in his pipe making skills. His blasts are the deepest and have the most character of any pipes made today. Jim always loved the Old Dunhills from the 1920's which are known to be the double blasted pipes and he puts that kind finish into his work.
I agree with larrysson that his more recent work in the last decade is the most stunning and collectible. J T's pipes smoke like a dream for me, and I'm only sorry that I parted with some of them that now reside in Bob Noble's collection. It was foolish of me, I know.
Bottom line, of you are willing to spend the $$$ go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Does anyone know if he uses any type of ebonite for his stems or are they all acrylic? When commissioning a pipe with him, can you order an ebonite stem? I have been looking at his pipe for quite some time now and most if not all on his site are too large and heavy for my tastes. I have a friend who owns several of his latest works and he has told me I might not like the stem due to it's thickness and material. I really love the way his sandblasts look and really would like to own one but I do have reservations in regards to his stem work.

I don't recall ever having a Cooke pipe without his hand poured acrylic stems. I'm sure you could inquire. As for his bowl sizes, yes, most are in the group 5 or ODA size with very thick walls. The only small pipes I have seen are the ones he made from small cuttings from his big ebauchons. I have one that he made called the "Scotty" and it's an extremely squat bulldog, about a size 3 equivalent pipe.

peckinpahhombre":f5a5uzku said:
Harris needs a soft and gentle stem for his purty little mouth
:lol!: :lol!: 

C'mon back at him Harris!!!! I'll be the instigator. :lol!: