Jumping on the Burley Bandwagon!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsKot

Reaction score
Today while taking my brother to my favorite local cigar shop while he was in town I struck up a conversation with the owner, who as anyone could guess was a stand-up guy. Turns out he used to be an avid pipe smoker and has a small selection of tobaccos. I had heard people rant and rave over burley before and had done my reading but was still unsure of what exactly to expect. I bought a bit and packed me a bowl just now and WOW is this stuff good! It's a burley base with a dash of cavendish with a very very light vanilla casing, almost unnoticeable. The bow smoked to very fine white ash and might I say this stuff packed quite the punch! I have hardly ever gotten a buzz from cigars or pipes before but man, did this stuff do the trick. I will surely be looking into more burley and buying a LOT more this season, Consider me on the bandwagon boys. Now it's just the waiting game for my Stanwell 63M to come in and spark up some of this brown, leafy heaven in it!

itsKot":bq022ty3 said:
Today while taking my brother to my favorite local cigar shop while he was in town I struck up a conversation with the owner, who as anyone could guess was a stand-up guy. Turns out he used to be an avid pipe smoker and has a small selection of tobaccos. I had heard people rant and rave over burley before and had done my reading but was still unsure of what exactly to expect. I bought a bit and packed me a bowl just now and WOW is this stuff good! It's a burley base with a dash of cavendish with a very very light vanilla casing, almost unnoticeable. The bow smoked to very fine white ash and might I say this stuff packed quite the punch! I have hardly ever gotten a buzz from cigars or pipes before but man, did this stuff do the trick. I will surely be looking into more burley and buying a LOT more this season, Consider me on the bandwagon boys. Now it's just the waiting game for my Stanwell 63M to come in and spark up some of this brown, leafy heaven in it!
So. It's begun. Six months from now, you'll be bidding $86.57 on ebay for a tub of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

But first, you'll have to launch yourself into the rewarding world of still-available American traditionals--OTCs like the Prince, the Sir, the Carter, the various manifestations of Kentucky Club, even (dare I say it) WALNUT (actually, a delicious blend).

It's true, my love affair with burley has begun. Her rich, smooth, buttery nuttiness has wooed me.

Glad you saw the light. PA is a must for the burley smoker, it's just an honest, dependable, satisfying smoke. If you go for PA, don't bother unless it's crimp cut and don't settle for a pouch. Get yourself a canister, it's more moist and tastes better. For Carter, I recommend smoking it from a cob, the flavor is just better that way. How about Half & Half? Try that from a cob for sure, it really leaves a taste in your pipe. Happy smoking.

Many, many to choose from - these are my favorites:

Burley for Burley's Sake:
Edgeworth (well, at least I have a bunch of tubs stashed, anyway)
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Wessex Burley Slice
Mac Baren's Londen Burley Blend
C&D's Burley Flakes #1 - #3
McClelland Grey Havens
Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake
Pipeworks and Wilke Nut Brown Burley
McCranies Old Master

The Heavyweights:
Esoterica (Germain) Stonehaven
Hogwart's Dark Flake & Plug*
Peterson's irish Flake*
Hogwart's Brown Flake

With VA:
C&D Night Train

With Perique:
C&D Exhausted Rooster

* denotes potentially lethal blends (lol)

A couple must trys from my experience: Uhle's Crushed White Burley and #300. Also Perettis Somerset Sliced which I sampled some of a while ago but haven't gotten around to stocking up on yet.

Old Joe Krantz, Exh Rooster, and Solani ABF are must tries as well, as mentioned above.

Edit: A couple others worth trying in the semi-burley genre:

Macbaren's Navy Flake: Has some cavendish and Virginia in it I believe, but definitely a burley based smoke to me. Once of the easiest smoking and simply great tasting flake smokes out there.

Orlik Golden Sliced: More of a Virginia presense, but definately some excellent burley qualities in it as well.

Any burley exploration must try C&D's BigNBurley, and Safe Harbor, and, of course, all their flakes (1-4). Uhle's Perfection plug is outstanding, though it can be tempermental in the lighting. And, the ne plus ultra burley is the legendary 5Bros, worth the effort to try and find when one can.

morleysson":97oyt72v said:
Any burley exploration must try C&D's BigNBurley, and Safe Harbor, and, of course, all their flakes (1-4). Uhle's Perfection plug is outstanding, though it can be tempermental in the lighting. And, the ne plus ultra burley is the legendary 5Bros, worth the effort to try and find when one can.
What wonderful additions to my current Christmas list, I've already planned on getting some of those, but I'll have to make room for some more!

Also Solani 656 (I cant remember the exact number) the one with the brown label. Very transparent stuff. Also University Flake is not so bad.

I usually dont crave burleys but a good one ain`t bad now and a gain...

For some added sweetness, try Habana Premium's Butternut Burley.

age burley flake by solani is great. The only other tobac with burley that I can think of that i really like are stonehaven and C&D's epiphany

all this got me to thinking.Do I have a good representation of burleys.The count and the amount started to look like Docs and the guy from oregons list.We pack it away and sort of forget when we see that next tin.I probably could get a few more bulk lbs.for blending and a few more esotericas,escudo etc.Have you guys checked for variety as well as tonnage.

Been watching this thread and any other things I see about burly, but I have to say it seemed that long ago buying regular stuff in tins and pouches were not bad. However this time I bought some from C&D, one is Big n Burley and Old Joe Krantz and I don't think that I will ever warm up to them. So I am going to take some of the names in this thread to give burly one more chance.

Now if any of you guys has tried either of these and they are really what burly is about save me the trouble and tell me that so I wont just buy more tobacco that will sit my my chest I keep my baccy in.

Skip

I haven't had the need to order any PA or CH yet, Still have some sheds of the local tobacconist's burley blend and am still enjoying it. By now I would have had to get some more but smokingpipes.com included a free sample of Altadis's J4 - Mild Burley. I must say it is very good! Sadly I cannot compare it to PA or CH yet but I'm sure at the rate I'm puffing through this it'll only be a while before I have a tub shipped to me!

Skip-
You owe it to yourself to try reiners long golden flake and solani aged burley flake. They're both in the flake form that you prefer, LGF comes in a bulletproof tin as one or two long flakes coiled. The presentation is absolutely luxurious. ABF is comprised more of the burley and aged in a manner similar to Virginia flake tobaccos. They are both pretty readily available.

onabullit":9q3eey3n said:
Skip-
You owe it to yourself to try reiners long golden flake and solani aged burley flake. They're both in the flake form that you prefer, LGF comes in a bulletproof tin as one or two long flakes coiled. The presentation is absolutely luxurious. ABF is comprised more of the burley and aged in a manner similar to Virginia flake tobaccos. They are both pretty readily available.
Thanks I will get some of both and give them a shot. I appreciate it!

Skip