Just an ignorant question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeBrew

Reaction score
Here at work I get about 15 minutes where I can go out for a smoke break, and I what pipe I could get that would be conducive to this situation. I could always fill one of my pipes around halfway, yet this can make lighting annoying, or I could just tamp out and relight later, but this seems to effect the taste negatively in my opinion. Plus, I would like an excuse to get a new pipe. I know the tobacco's burning qualities can vary the times, but would like some ideas from you guys who are much more knowledgeable than I.

My suggestion would be a small clay pipe since they have a very small bowl. For briar I have seen some pretty small Jobey's. Vauen (Germany) makes a pipe just for such an occasion called a Pipoo. They are in the shape of a wedge so they fit nicely into your pocket. The problem with them is trying to find one in the states. They have a 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch deep tobacco chamber. Vauen even sells pre-shaped cartidges of pipe tobacco that you just pop into the pipe and light.

You might try a small corn cob. You can purchase one most anywhere and the standard ones are pretty small. Most drug stores carry them, at least in my area they do. They make excellent smokes!

I would just get a smallish Stanwell. Perhaps a pot with a 17mm-18mm bore. They work nicely.

You might consider a meerschaum pipe if you haven't already. These run the gamut in size (down to the uber-small for specialty "tobaccos") and shapes. The better ones also come with a hard case which would be handy if you were going to keep it at work, say in a desk or something.

showme

Last year I bought a group one Dunhill Cumberland for the same reason. I had a weekly situation where I had 20 minutes to sit in the car and wait for my daughter. I thought it would be cool to have a special pipe just for that time. Well, that little pipe proved to be more of a hassle than a tool. It's a neat little pipe, don't get me wrong, but since it is so small and the walls are proportionately thin, it is very picky about what you can smoke in it. You have to smoke it extra slow and pay close attention to how it's burning. It turned out to be NOT the pipe I want to smoke when I only had 20 minutes of time. Recently, I discovered that Wessex Burley Slices smokes very well in it, so I suppose that it could work if I'm in the mood for WBS. But it took me a year to figure that out.

I guess the moral of the story is that you may have better luck dumping out what's leftover in a big pipe rather than finding the perfect 15 minute pipe. As always, YMMV.

I would rate filling a regular pipe halfway rather low on my list of annoyances. It can be beneficial, too, for building cake in the bottom. Lighting presents no difficulty that I've found, and the rim doesn't get scorched.

Pipebrew
Peterson makes a very small system pipe, I believe it is #317. I bought one on ebay a few years ago and it's too small for me. If you are interested, send me an email with your address and I'll send it to you. Have a great Christmas.

As Howell notes above, there are benefits to filling a pipe halfway. Assuming you can save the unsmoked half of the bowl for a later time, you may also find that many tobaccos DGT very well, and in fact some will often offer a distinctly enhanced flavor when returned to at a later time... on the other hand, some don't. Best of luck in finding what works for you.

Pipebrew,

Consider a medium size pipe, say a group 3. Get it with a military bit so the stem can be removed when the pipe is "hot." Partially fill it with a "bulk" tobacco that you like and don't worry about the waste. The most important thing is that you enjoy those short smokes.

A group 3 will also serve you well in your regular pipe rotation so as to defray some of the cost of the tobacco that is not smoked.

I am not a DGT fan either and don't think you should "force" yourself into liking it simply because others do.

You can also carry a bent over pipe cleaner, pinched at the bend, in order to clean the two halves.

Don't be afraid to ream it ocassionaly if the cake builds up unevenly. It's a work pipe and should serve YOU.

Consider a straight pipe as it will be easier to keep clean and should "pack" a little better in your pocket.

You should be able to get a nice Pete, Sav or Stanwell to serve your needs quite well at a nominal price.

Finally, consider a blast or rusticated as they will smoke cooler for those quick smokes.

tj

Thanks for all the advice, all of which is good, and all of the suggestions. I haven't really had very good experience with relighting, the tobacco typically has a bad taste afterwards, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's the tobacco. I'm trying to find a good bulk tobacco that I like quite a bit. TJ, I think your route will probably be my preferred route in time. I have more research to do, and more begging to see if the wife will let me get another pipe. I actually have a corncob, but it's about burned out, thanks for reminding me that I need to purchase another one. As for clay, I've thought I've getting some clay and making my own. Bronxbill, I sent you a PM.

Again, thanks for all the advice guys. :pipe:

mdmiller5":etobo9cq said:
My suggestion would be a small clay pipe since they have a very small bowl. For briar I have seen some pretty small Jobey's. Vauen (Germany) makes a pipe just for such an occasion called a Pipoo. They are in the shape of a wedge so they fit nicely into your pocket. The problem with them is trying to find one in the states. They have a 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch deep tobacco chamber. Vauen even sells pre-shaped cartidges of pipe tobacco that you just pop into the pipe and light.
These sound really cool, and I'd like to have one just to have, maybe some day I'll find one somewhere.

PipeBrew":hlw1syxx said:
mdmiller5":hlw1syxx said:
These sound really cool, and I'd like to have one just to have, maybe some day I'll find one somewhere.
I found a place who actually sells them if interested. Note: I have never order from this site but it gives you an idea of what they are.

http://e-kedico.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1056228694&CAT=1056239730&SUBCAT=1110838545&BACK=A0008A1B01056228694B1C01056239730C1

If you are looking for a good quality made small pipe. You might want to check out Tim West pipes. Lady Muleskinner got one of his small pipes that "he calls a sidewalk pipe." Tim told her that he made these pipes for working people who wanted to smoke a small pipe on their breaks at work, average smoking time of about 10 to 15 minutes. The pipe that my wife got is a freehand and she says "it smokes as good as some of the larger pipes."

Have a great night.
Muleskinner

mdmiller5":4na4dnvn said:
PipeBrew":4na4dnvn said:
mdmiller5":4na4dnvn said:
I found a place who actually sells them if interested. Note: I have never order from this site but it gives you an idea of what they are.

http://e-kedico.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1056228694&CAT=1056239730&SUBCAT=1110838545&BACK=A0008A1B01056228694B1C01056239730C1
They're odd looking little things, lol, maybe someday, but I have other pipes I would want to get before I'd get one of those.

:pipe:

Muleskinner":80jch265 said:
If you are looking for a good quality made small pipe. You might want to check out Tim West pipes. Lady Muleskinner got one of his small pipes that "he calls a sidewalk pipe." Tim told her that he made these pipes for working people who wanted to smoke a small pipe on their breaks at work, average smoking time of about 10 to 15 minutes. The pipe that my wife got is a freehand and she says "it smokes as good as some of the larger pipes."

Have a great night.
Muleskinner
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look around and see if I can find any.

:pipe: