Just bought some coffee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Finally bought some Community Coffee.

Café Special Decaf
Café Special Decaf Instant
Coffee and Chicory
Five Star Hotel Blend
Breakfast Blend

Last night I tried the Decaf Instant. Nothing special here.
Now I am drinking a mug full of Coffee/Chicory. Mild, but Very good!

Community Coffee. Two of my favorite blends are New Orleans Blend and Evangeline Blend. They seem o have a brighter profile than some of the others.

My experience (and I’m a huge Community Coffee junkie) is that the brewed cup is EXTREMELY dependent on how much ground coffee you use. This is a kind if DUH thing, right? Aren’t they all that way? My read is that these are more dependent than others...they balance on a knife edge. Oooooo. Spooky. Whatever. Good coffee.

If you have a Kureg machine (k cups) try using the plastic refillable k cup pods and brew some. There are several blends that do well that way.

I just figured out why I have never ordered some in.

People have things. One of my things is, that I buy coffee by the pound. I purchase those little sausage links, by the pound. Not 10oz, not 12oz. By the pound. I have only recently been able to reach out on the store shelves and pick up a standard sized can of Ray's Chili. I grew up with the larger 20oz or so size can. For years after they changed it to a standard can, I would not purchase it. Any grocery store owners here, take note.

Every time I have checked Community Coffee they are always out of the New Orleans style, or it's only in 12oz packaging. Or so I thought. It's not offered in whole bean by the pound. It is offered ground, by the pound. That would make more sense since it is a blend of coffee and chicory. I'll have to get some to try.

Once...way back in the misty eons of time...New Orleans Bkend was indeed a chicory blend.  No longer.  It’s 100% coffee now.

Coffee on the CC site sorted by weight...16 Oz.... :roll:

https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee#/filter/SizeWeight=16-oz

Don’t go hurrying off to order coffee...a bag of New Orleans Blend will be delivered to your POBox Tuesday.

There are tons of little cafes nearby here which make their own house blends. My current favorite is Mezcla de la Casa from Tradición de Coyoacán. I feel lucky that there are still small mom and pop cafes around that roast their own coffee.

Blackhorse":9fw8xyj9 said:
Wow.  Talk about fresh!
Yeah, when they roast the coffee beans you can smell it for blocks. The kids that work there still speak in Nahuatl between themselves. Amazing really.

Sounds amazing. Not familiar with Nahuatl. My Uncle & Aunt had a very long history in Merida. He was on a team that translated the Christian bible into Mayan. I have a copy, but don’t speak any of course.

A lot of the kids who work in these cafes come from the fincas (the farms where the coffee is grown) and speak their native languages. Mixe is spoken in Oaxaca and a lot come from there too. When I was teaching in the INBA system here, one of my students brought me coffee and Mezcal both from his family's finca in Veracruz as a Christmas gift. That was cool.

Blackhorse":c1bcktiq said:
Once...way back in the misty eons of time...New Orleans Bkend was indeed a chicory blend.  No longer.  It’s 100% coffee now.

Coffee on the CC site sorted by weight...16 Oz.... :roll:

https://www.communitycoffee.com/products/coffee#/filter/SizeWeight=16-oz

Don’t go hurrying off to order coffee...a bag of New Orleans Blend will be delivered to your POBox Tuesday.

Not a chicory blend any longer? I am confused. Hopefully to be soon un-confused. Thank You! That was most kind of you. Add an extra day for the donkey to get here from Springfield. Unless it's feeling frisky. 8)

The New Orleans Blend USED to have chicory. They changed it.  Now they have a blend they just call Coffee with Chicory...or something like that.  It has a small percentage of the herb.  About what a traditional mix would have.

I have some here.  It doesn’t taste all that different from regular coffee.  It just tastes like a different blend.  Anyway, the traditional chicory coffee is made with LOTS of milk or cream and sweetener.  Think of Southern Sweet Tea...but coffee. Or like Vietnamese coffee.

I go back and forth between ordering directly from Community and from Amazon.  One or the other has the best deal at any given time.  If you sign up on the Community site they send you ads.  The last order I put in was for 30% off the total price plus free shipping.  Today I ordered a 12oz bag of New Orleans blend for $8 including shipping from Amazon.  Nearly broke me...but I’m a big spender.  8)

Lately, I've been buying Lavazza coffee at Costco's business center $10.00 for 2.5 lbs. of medium espresso roast. Yesterday, I dropped in at a local Costco and there were several brands of whole bean coffee at <$10.00 for two pound bags. I bought Kanaloa Reserve, $5.97 for a 2 lb. bag.