Just Bought Some FVF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip48

Reaction score
I was going to buy more 2015 so I could take advantage of a better price than some places and scared if they ever have to re-order it may go up. Anyway got a couple pounds of it and looking around saw FVF with limit of 2 tins per person so took them for my basket.

Just thought I would let you guys know Mars has some.

Skip

thanks skip! finally! (hey, between you and me, let's not tell anyone else. especially piet. it's like catnip to him.)

bruins":il4y4iut said:
thanks skip! finally! (hey, between you and me, let's not tell anyone else. especially piet. it's like catnip to him.)

Your welcome,

LOL, now that is funny. Only problem was the 2 tin limit, but heck I was already buying 2 pounds of 2015. Only just got some a it's really good and since it's $10 less a pound there over the other place I buy often I decided to jump and just stash it back after I place in under vacuum.

Skip

Nice pick up Skip. Waiting for my preferred vendor to get them in.

Thanks Skip,

Alright guys I put an order in for two tins. This flake is famous around here so I'm gonna give it a try. I'll probably get hooked and won't be able to get anymore.

Just bought two tins from 4noggins. Glad it came back for a while. One to smoke, one to store, and repeat.

Just don't judge it too quickly. I think that there is near universal agreement among aficionados of FVF that it tends to come out of a youthfullly bland shell after a year or so of maturation.

I worry that a lot of people trying it for the first time will experience it as a big let-down after all the bitching and moaning about its absence. It was like listening to the suffering of Job in stereo. Don't expect to see the face of God in your first puff of smoke, and don't expect to soil yourself like a teenager doing the Lambada with sexy auntie Conchita. You'll find a medium-bodied, sweetish smoke, not nirvana.

For what it's worth, I like FVF. I have about 3 pounds of it in the cellar and smoke it occasionally. It might be in my top 3 straight Virginias. But my fave Virginia probably wouldn't make it into my top 10 tobaccos. I find I prefer a smidge of Burley in my Va-dominated flakes, the kind of thing found in G&H Dark and Brown Flakes, Solani's Silver Flake, and Germain's Brown Flake.

One more little thing for guys that have never smoked a Virgina tobacco, like me a couple months back. If my memory serves me right it took several Oz. before I liked it. Don't know why but the first taste is probably not going to be great,

Skip

Both are in my top 5 baccies!!!!
2015 IMHO is the best Vaper in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....but I may be shot for saying so................................
OK OK, Escudo!

Piet I just got a 1/2 pound of 2015 and never had any before this. It is so good I couldn't believe it and at that price with bulk numbers I just wanted to put some back so got 2 pounds and when I saw the FVF I got what I could of it and added some Frog Morton to put back as well. I just don't get it sometimes how one place has good prices at some levels and not so good on others. Like the 2015 at smokingpipes in a one pound is $49 and at Mars it's $39 so easy to figure out where to buy that tobacco by the pound. And on others the reverse is true, but maybe not as much. I liked the 2015 enough to get a lot of it for me and I don't have any tobacco that I have more of that that.

Skip

beaupipe":f7az0mab said:
Don't expect to see the face of God in your first puff of smoke, and don't expect to soil yourself like a teenager doing the Lambada with sexy auntie Conchita.
i had an aunt carol. probably not the same thing. :evil:

The only time I've ever had it before is when a member here gifted me some a while back. It was still pretty young I think... and I remember it being an excellent tobacco. I can't wait to put some age on it and see what happens.

Yak":894hbe6z said:
I find I prefer a smidge of Burley in my Va-dominated flakes
A lot of others do, too. That's why SG adds it to FVF.

:face:
Is that true, or are you pulling my leg? Everywhere I look, including the SG site, the words "pure, pressed Virginia" crop up.

And here's a question with a wee preface: In the wine industry, there are rules related to labeling and varietal content. The basic EU standard, for example, is 85%. If you put the word "Chardonnay" on a label, at least 85% of the juice has to come from Chardonnay grapes. Is there any such standard in the tobacco labeling game?

Knowing there is Burley in the mix won't change anything, I suppose. Just wondering.

Sure enough to have stuck my neck out, saying it.

There are a lot of little condamental smidgeons of other tobacs (and sauces) that never get mentioned in formal descriptions but which show up in the precise German analytic listings they require there. (Also in old US import documents, which I think UCalBerkely has up on the 'net somewhere). I'm pretty sure you could find them, but I don't have the deep internet-tobacco interest chops to steer you to either.

Probably, if enough other people see it, somebody who does can put the URL up.

GLP notes that Burley is typically added to Virginias to fill out the bottom end, and that Union Square is remarkable in having none at all. Not even a little.

:face:

Well, my happy accident i was at the B&M today and was rummaging through some of their old stock (they've been closed for a year while the owner was dealing with health issues) and wouldn't you know I stumbled across their last oz of FVF so I had to snag it. Will try it tomorrow.