Just found this, looks pipe smokers can't win either!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Was looking up "types of tobacco" and found this. Looks like we can't win either in the war on tobacco :

"Pipe
Pipes are often reusable and consist of a chamber or bowl, stem and
mouthpiece. Tobacco is placed into the bowl and lit. The smoke is
than drawn through the stem and mouthpiece and inhaled.
Pipe smoking has been shown to cause gum disease and tooth loss,
cancer of the mouth, lip, tongue, throat, larynx, lung, pancreas,
kidney, bladder, colon, and cervix as well as leukemia and
diseases such as chronic obstructive lung disease, stroke, and
coronary heart disease. Pipe smoking can also cause "hairy
tongue," furry-looking bumps on the tongue that can become stained by tobacco, making
the tongue look discolored or black.
Source: http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/pipes obtained August 3, 2009
Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_smoking sharing license at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/bysa/
3.0/"

Guess it's better to know what we are in for :twisted: :twisted:

(Fixed the Wiki link for you. Carlos :D )

You mean that this is news to you? I'm not in denial. I do believe in Everything in Moderation - I'm sure that there are many documented cases of these diseases in pipe smokers as there are probably many in non-smokers as well. Abusing yourself will undoubtedly work in diseases favour.

However, "hairy tongue" sounds like fiction to me.

And cervical cancer may also be a stretch as there are probably few women pipe smokers who are affected by cervical cancer and where the cancer can definitely be linked to smoking.

Anybody interested could go onto wikipedia and correct the page about inhaling if they wanted to. Some people do inhale pipe smoke though.

Whatever.

Rob_In_MO":uhvkn8nx said:
Brother Monbla, that is what I like about you - always looking at the Bright Side! :cheers:
Basically, living is bad for your health :twisted: :twisted:

I think about this kind of thing a lot. I lost my mom to cancer and now my dad has it. Neither one of them ever smoked anything. Somehow I feel like the odds are already stacked up against me, so I also try to enjoy in moderation...like 3 -4 bowls a week.

Hermit":y4ag1d3k said:
What a load of crap.

Pardon me while I comb my tongue. :lol:

Basically what I thought too. Cigarettes are much worse for a person that pipes. A few studies have shown that the worst part of the cigarette is actually the paper, not to mention the crap they now put into them to make them go out on their own...

Fire-resistant cigarettes, which reduce the risk of fire from unattended cigarettes, are made with special paper that includes a plastic compound, ethylene vinyl acetate. If a cigarette made with this type of paper is left unattended, the plastic in the paper will help the cigarette self-extinguish.
Oh yeah - ethylene vinyl acetate, that's gotta be good for you... :evil:

I'll stick with my pipes and not worry about it too much. Besides - the aliens are coming back to either end the world or take us back with them on 12/21/12, so it doesn't matter anyway. :mrgreen:

UFO.gif

Just more anti-smoking propaganda from the nanny state.

These days, everything and anything promotes cancer.

Exaggeration, fear mongering, and distortion of the data to suit a narrow agenda.

Scare tactics for the weak minded and children.

'eff them all!

assiman.gif

Cheers,

RR

Exaggeration, fear mongering, and distortion of the data to suit a narrow agenda are known in the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm.

Rad

According to the statistics, Driving to work everyday is more hazardous to my health than smoking, Maybe I'll quit.

"Pipes are often reusable" - has anyone ever seen a single use pipe? Serious question.

I will NEVER get cervical cancer.

ruraldean":zr6g2h5l said:
"Pipes are often reusable" - has anyone ever seen a single use pipe? Serious question.

I will NEVER get cervical cancer.
If any of the brothers do, I doubt that pipe smoking could be a cause. . . .

Brewdude":6nhzizhs said:
Scare tactics for the weak minded and children.
The children can be programed, the weak-minded can be coerced. Then they vote. It would be like convincing every colony of ants plundering your yard to go attack your neighbor, rather than killing the ants. Now that's power. "Everyone wins!" Except your neighbor, of course. :lol:

8)

I am more concerned about the risks of excessive Dihydrogen Monoxide in pipe tobacco.

http://www.dhmo.org/

What is known about these cancers is that Dihydrogen Monoxide is found in detectable and biologically significant levels in virtually all tumors and other cancerous and pre-cancerous growths.
:lol!:

It's also the main cause of climate change (or global warming, if you're classic), being the number-one greenhouse "gas"...

...we probably should look to banning it. Especially dangerous when inhaled excessively.

8)

This kind of stuff really upsets me. I bet you have more chance getting cancer from breathing in everyday auto emissions then moderately smoking a pipe.