Just got the first ever complaint from the wife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefisher

Reaction score
Walking into the house after my morning smoke, I was greeted by a disgruntled spouse. "I usually like the smell of you pipes, but even with all the windows closed whatever that was stunk up the house" she lamented. "Did it even taste good?" Yes, yes it did. The culprit? Hearth & Home Black House.

Black House can only replace celibacy for so long...

:lol: 

My top 10 wife-hated tobaccos list goes something like this -

Odyssey
Embarcadero
Storm Front
Lancer's Slices
Old Dark Fired
Dark Bird's Eye
Penzance
Margate
FVF
Any Gawith rope I have ever smoked.

A few of these I still smoke with some frequency, but usually when she's not going to be around. Believe it or not, she actually thought 1792 Flake smelled ok. :shock:

G,H&co. Kendal #7 and C&D Pirate Kake. I don't even have to be smoking the Pirate Kake. Just opening the jar is enough to set off smoke detectors for 5 miles. But to be fair, this stuff has aged like 15 years.

DrumsAndBeer":7txddkxj said:
My top 10 wife-hated tobaccos list goes something like this -

Odyssey
Embarcadero
Storm Front
Lancer's Slices
Old Dark Fired
Dark Bird's Eye
Penzance
Margate
FVF
Any Gawith rope I have ever smoked.

A few of these I still smoke with some frequency, but usually when she's not going to be around. Believe it or not, she actually thought 1792 Flake smelled ok. :shock:
Huh, my wife likes FVF. To each her own!

I strongly suggest NOT to smoke ANY of the DUNHILL blends in the house. Especially 965 or London Mixture. All three of my ex wives refer'd to 'em as smelling like "burning garbage"  :lol:  :twisted: :twisted:

I think it's probably blends with a lot of Latakia or Orientals that give off the foulest of odors. I just took the pipe from this morning off the rack, and even though it's dottle-free and dry it does indeed smell pretty bad. Which is funny, because I've never not liked the smell of a well smoked pipe, regardless of what had been run through it.

Of course, the smoke itself was lovely. Very tangy and bright, with a firm backbone and broad shouldered smokiness. Went damn well with black coffee.

I have always found that the worse the tobacco smells, the better it tastes. Every time I am in tobacco heaven, I'll have someone comment about how bad it smells. And when I am smoking something that is not all that impressive, out come the complements.

Northern Neil":r24tb72c said:
I have always found that the worse the tobacco smells, the better it tastes. Every time I am in tobacco heaven, I'll have someone comment about how bad it smells. And when I am smoking something that is not all that impressive, out come the complements.
How true! I wonder why? :scratch: 

AJ

Bluefisher":9vga1ck1 said:
Huh, my wife likes FVF. To each her own!
Technically she enjoys the smell of it from the pipe, but hates the way I smell after I smoke it. Same with Embarcadero.  

I agree with Northern Neil, stinky usually means tasty. Latakia is the Camembert of tobacco.

Northern Neil":hzduu89a said:
A few years back when we could smoke on my campus, a sweet, young co-ed came over as I was happily puffing away and said, "oh, you smell just like my grandpa used to". I'm still not sure if she meant my lovely tobacco smoke reminded her of grandpa, or that I was old, unwashed, and needed to have my Depends changed?

She Who Must Be Obeyed never complains about my pipe smoke, as long as it's out side. I would be posting from the "other side" if I dared to smoke in the house.

Natch

No woman no cry.............

bob-marley.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Natch":1r6bkixb said:
A few years back when we could smoke on my campus, a sweet, young co-ed came over as I was happily puffing away and said, "oh, you smell just like my grandpa used to"
You were wearing Old Spice. It had nothing to do with the pipe.

I don't have to smoke a pipe to give mine something to complain about, in fact I'd be shocked if she ever opened her mouth to say something nice. Mean as a snake she is, thank God we're in love.:fpalm: 

monbla256":ak3jt135 said:
I strongly suggest NOT to smoke ANY of the DUNHILL blends in the house. Especially 965 or London Mixture. All three of my ex wives refer'd to 'em as smelling like "burning garbage"  :lol:  :twisted: :twisted:
My goodness! You rotated wives almost as fast as pipes.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

Given the absolutes, a wife or tobacco, I'd be hard-pressed to choose, but I suppose I would lean toward the wife. Now I hate smoking outside, but I'd probably would do so, or have a dedicated room, etc, etc. I think the answer lies in finding a wife who smokes. Then she can't complain that you stink as she would also stink. But I must admit pipes and cigars are the province of men. If we could dial time back 200 years these problems would disappear as at that time men were supposed to use tobacco, create a stink and stink from it themselves:):):).

alfredo_buscatti":6mxut9s2 said:
Given the absolutes, a wife or tobacco, I'd be hard-pressed to choose, but I suppose I would lean toward the wife.
My wife does not smoke, but she realizes it is part of the baggage I come with. I smoke in the house, but I try to limit the stinkier pipeweed and cigars to the basement office. I think she probably has an appreciation for the fact that there are worse things a husband could do.