Just orderd a Zippo Pipe Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
I had one years ago and loved it. I will say it again I don't care how much you spend on a butane lighter it's going to break. Got plenty of matches till my new Zippo comes in.

Be sure to use the new "Black Can" fuel. I use to hate zippos because of the stink. New gas, no stink.

CipsterX":2s6skgjt said:
I had one years ago and loved it. I will say it again I don't care how much you spend on a butane lighter it's going to break. Got plenty of matches till my new Zippo comes in.
I've used a Zippo all my smoking life (about 40yrs) with no complaints but, I don't care to use them with my pipe. I'm just too anal and afraid I might scorch the rim of my pipe. I just use a cheap BIC and it works fine for me.
Wish you luck and unscorched bowls.  ;) 

I own a Zippo Pipe Lighter. I only use it when outdoors. It is a good windproof lighter. I can taste the naptha, even with the black can fluid which is why I usually use my butane lighter or matches. The Zippo, however, is a great outdoor companion.

Can't go wrong with a Zippo pipe lighter, that's all I use. Never had a problem tasting the fuel.
I got the bug to try the butane lighters people rave about, got 3 and they all broke. Went back to my Zippo, apologized for cheating,l and never looked back.

If for some odd reason they stop making them, I'll go back to matches.

I had one of the brass Zippos with the pipe chimney for years. I loved that lighter, but I have to admit it did not do as well in the wind as a standard Zippo. I was standing on a bridge over the river Cam in Cambridge lighting my pipe one evening when the whole chimney came loose and fell in the river. I just about cried and can still see it falling in slow motion. Now I mostly use a soft flame butane, but I think I'll have to get another Zippo soon.
Mike.

My zippo goes with me anytime I'm going outside, it works like a champ. Haven't had any rim scorching yet...but I could see why one could be concerned.

I quite like my Zippo but usually use my Old Boy by IM Corona. The Zippo is great! It is the one that I always use out of doors, as you all have been saying. It is virtually indestructible as well. Mike, you can get new parts for your Zippo on Amazon.

flyguy":9qrs8izu said:
I own a Zippo Pipe Lighter.  I can taste the naptha, even with the black can fluid which is why I usually use my butane lighter or matches.
Same. I prefer matched or a BIC.

I like my Zippo (with the pipe lighter mod) just fine and don't have a problem with the fuel issue as it doesn't seem to affect the taste of the 'baccy.

I originally had a "regular" Zippo and wanted the pipe chimney modification. Sent it to them and they did the work on their dime and sent it back to me in about 10 days. Can't beat service like that!

What does bum me out is the frequency of refilling. Guess I need to try that fix one of the brothers recommended by wrapping teflon tape around the insert base.

Cheers,

RR

To make your Zippo's fluid last longer put a thin layer of Vaseline on the sides of the inner part. I have two Zippos, works like a charm.

I have to smoke outdoors, so I've used the Zippo since day one. To save a few bucks, I buy naptha in the large container from Home Depot. Never noticed the chemical taste.

Firing ones pipe with the same fluid that was around in Nehamiah's time is pretty throw back huh..

I love my Zippo. I can smell the Naptha in the new formula, but I can't taste it at all. When I'm inside I use matches, otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the Zippo.

SpeedyPete":c86qovu3 said:
To make your Zippo's fluid last longer put a thin layer of Vaseline on the sides of the inner part.  I have two Zippos, works like a charm.
I agree, a film of vaseline every couple of fills, works a charm to make the fluid last longer..

As for rim burn, I find the bic is far worse for that, the zippo flame goes up until you draw it down into the bowl whereas the butane lighters shoot the flame straight at the rim.

Oxman":vww4s9qm said:
As for rim burn, I find the bic is far worse for that, the zippo flame goes up until you draw it down into the bowl whereas the butane lighters shoot the flame straight at the rim.
I agree. I never understood the concern that a Zippo would be more likely to burn the rim. I can't think of anything that is less like to touch the flame to the rim than a Zippo with a pipe insert.

SpeedyPete":7nrsjh64 said:
To make your Zippo's fluid last longer put a thin layer of Vaseline on the sides of the inner part.  I have two Zippos, works like a charm.
Don't understand what you mean by the sides of the inner part.... sorry.

And why would this work??

I AM confused....obviously!

As far as the level of fuel usage with a Zippo, pipe folks seem to forget these lighters were developed to light CIGGARETTES !! You only need a little over a seconds worth of flame to do this so they work PERFECTLY for what they were designed !! A pipe insert that they use is merely meant to effect the flame but the rest of the lighter STILL functions in the ORIGINAL CIGGARETTE lighting purpose!! :twisted: :twisted:

jrtaster":0cptotyk said:
SpeedyPete":0cptotyk said:
Don't understand what you mean by the sides of the inner part.... sorry.

And why would this work??

I AM confused....obviously!
It is put on the outside of the insert creating an improved seal between the shell and the insert. This theoretically slows the fuel evaporation. Monbla makes an intersting point regarding the length of time the lighter stays lit, but in my experience an unused Zippo loses its fuel just as fast as one that is used a few times each day.
Mike.

Mike,
thanks for the clarification; I was over-thinking the situation and the term "inner part," not realizing it simply
referred to the insert. Duh....
In my experience, one of the few drawbacks of the Zippo is how often it needs to be refilled. Beside evaporation
and my need for frequent relights (poor technique?), I refill mine frequently.
Still, for outside use and with the pipe lighter insert, a darn reliable piece of equipment.

p.s. I have used the butane pipe insert version and was largely disappointed... not all that reliable and fuel capacity
isn't so great either.
sometimes simple IS better