Just Recieved a Free Colony of Honey Bees!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balisong

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up beekeeping about 5 years ago and have empty hives scattered around the property. Late last summer a swarm moved into one of my top bar hives. I disregarded it since the old beekeepers had an admonition that "a swarm in July ain't worth a fly!" As fare had it they survived the winter so I've been planning on opening the hive to introduce myself.

This morning I was talking with a neighbor near the hive and noticed a cloud of bees circling outside the hive and thought they were planning to swarm. It was a little early in the morning to take off as a swarm but it's fun to watch and possibly capture when the sun goes down. Much to my surprise when I came back an hour later they were taking up residence in a hive right next to the existing one, something that bees don't normally do!

I think this may be a swarm from somewhere else that decided last summer's swarm made a good choice and decided to move in as neighbors. It looks like I'll be donning my hood and gloves to introduce myself, see how the remodeling is going, and most importantly discuss rent! Mmmm meade!

Balisong…our heartfelt regards…to a new BEE DADDY!

IMG_7383.jpeg

Bees are really interesting to me. There is a club at UT Martin but I've never went to a meeting.

Meeting other beekeepers is part of the fun of beekeeping, I've met some very interesting people especially at a treatment free beekeeping conference that drew hobbyists through commercial members of the beekeeping community!

Mmm, mead.

Congrats on attracting two swarms! All the best of luck!

I want to keep some hives. I just need to set up some place the extract the honey.

Book