Just Tried Carter Hall

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, I know. Big deal, right?

I have always snubbed the OTC's because my perception was that they are hot burning, sugar coated, cheep tobacco, for people who don't know any better.

I decided to try Carter Hall because my wife (who thinks that my pipe smoking is a result of me being possessed by some evil spirit) mentioned that her Grandfather used to smoke Carter Hall. So, I figured that I had nothing to loose by giving it a shot. My hope was that she would smell it and suddenly fully embrace my "nasty habit" because the smell reminded her of her Grandfather. ... yea, it was a nice thought. :roll:

But I digress. I found the bowl of Carter Hall that I smoked to be a very pleasant experience. The tobacco out of the pouch was just at the perfect moisture level to immediately load into my pipe. The burn was even and slow. There was copious amounts of thick creamy smoke. And the taste was of a very mild tobacco with a slightly sweet flavor. Not a lot of flavor, mind you, but just enough. Also, zero tongue bite!

So, was it a great smoke, no. But it wasn't a bad smoke either.

I'm going to try Half and Half next.

Todd

I've always used it to break in new pipes. Why? Idunno. I heard that 20 years ago and I guess it just stuck. Consequently, it has a "new pipe smell" for me, like new car smell. One of these days I'll smoke a new pipe in a new car and be in olfactory heaven. :D No bite, though? You must be a much more patient smoker that I.

George, I guess we all react differently. CH is about the only primarily-burley tobacco I tried I don't get at least a hint of bite from

Maybe I'm just too eager to "smoke the new out of it". Been a while, really. I should try some again and see if I do better.

I just tried Half and Half.

Meh... Not so much.

Tastes a bit like tobacco flavored ash. :tongue:

Anyone want a pouch of Half and Half?

This all gets me thinking (I always get into trouble when I start thinking...)

I have smoked a lot of non-aromatics and have, frankly, been afraid to try aromatics for fear of tongue bite and lack of taste.

I have recently started smoking some blends that I consider cross-overs: e.g., University Flake, GH Best Brown #2.

I am interested in trying some truly high quality aromatics, but there are so many thousand out there that I have no idea where to begin.

Is anyone interested in a trade? I will trade some Virginia or VaPer flakes for some high end aromatics. I am thinking maybe a Vanilla or Maple or Whiskey. I honestly don't know what I would like.

Any ideas?

Todd

Very good, Todd. IMHO H&H isn't bad either, but I prefer CH over it.

Actually, CH is a perfect neutral tobacco that many (even on here) use to break-in a new pipe. It's good because you can break your pipe in with it and switch to about any style of tobacco you want - no ghosting or residual flavors.

If I have a new pipe that I want to break in and I'm not sure what type/cut/flavor of tobacco I'm going to dedicate that pipe to to, then CH is what I use in it initially. When I (or the pipe) decide what cut/type/etc. tobacco smokes best in it, then the pipe is already good to go.

Carter Hall broke my preconception that all OTCs were trash. I still retain my aromatic snobbery, and won't buy those OTC, but Carter Hall is quite tasty; probably my 2nd favorite burley blend right behind Storm Front.

taharris":df5eplat said:
I have recently started smoking some blends that I consider cross-overs: e.g., University Flake, GH Best Brown #2.

I am interested in trying some truly high quality aromatics, but there are so many thousand out there that I have no idea where to begin.

<break>

Any ideas?
I really can't help you with pure aros. Two related cross-overs would be Sutliff R Blend and C+D Epiphany (both based on the old Revelation blends). Smoking Pipes also sells the Sutliff as an Altadis bulk 'Revelation Match'. The pipes & cigars bulk Revelation Match is likely the same.

I'm still chuckling at "new pipe smell." Coming soon to a cardboard pine tree-shaped dangly freshener near you.

Mebbe not.

8)

I found CH to be really good. I have collected most all OTCs that are still sold and it is nice to light up a bowl of any of them. They are all easy to smoke and are great for cake building. I recommend trying them all!