Just when you think you get ahead of the game...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I took my truck in to get some work done on it and it came out fixed and with a payment of $223.00! Then the wife's stove broke down. It cost us $65.00 just for the repairman to come out and check it out. New parts or a new stove, take our pick! Just too much. What's next? :x :scratch:

Brewdude":sdifej1p said:
If it ain't one thing, it's another. Watch out - trouble comes in 3's!
RR
You are right. Things happen in 3's. Last night my wife tells me she has to bring her car in to the shop to have it looked at. She said the steering wheel shakes as she drives. Then she tells me, "well, I kinda slid off the road the other day coming home from work!" Then she tells me her boss, who was behind her in his truck, pulled her out from the grass! :x :!@#%^&*$ :x
Anyway, I checked the car out and can't find anything wrong, although, the steering wheel is cocked over a bit from center. I'm hoping that the car just needs wheel alignment and that the struts were not bent. I guess we'll find out Thursday! Well, at least she didn't run the car into a ditch and flip it over.

You’re lucky you live in MO. Our dryer started squeaking last week, then wouldn’t work. A call to a local & very well regarded repair shop gets a guy out the next day. $100 call out...absorbed into any repair job they ultimately do. So...main cause of failure...dead motor so that went in and 3 other minor things that had bearings (just in case cause they were inexpensive and we already had the guy out and the machine opened up). The cost of the motor alone was quoted at between $195 - $600 depending on which one is was (ended up as $165 just cause someone up there likes us). Anyway, the whole thing ended up costing $365. That should buy us 10 - 15 years of normal use and we’re light users. So a new dryer ($700 - $1200) wasn’t even close to an option. Anyway, all this to illustrate that Portland, Oregon is NOT a cheap date. I think I could have shipped the damn thing to Missouri, had it fixed, and shipped back for less. Well, maybe not.

Blackhorse":3oj1i9c0 said:
You’re lucky you live in MO.  Our dryer started squeaking last week, then wouldn’t work.  A call to a local & very well regarded repair shop gets a guy out the next day.  $100 call out...absorbed into any repair job they ultimately do.  So...main cause of failure...dead motor so that went in and 3 other minor things that had bearings (just in case cause they were inexpensive and we already had the guy out and the machine opened up).  The cost of the motor alone was quoted at between $195 - $600 depending on which one is was (ended up as $165 just cause someone up there likes us).  Anyway, the whole thing ended up costing $365.  That should buy us 10 - 15 years of normal use and we’re light users.  So a new dryer ($700 - $1200) wasn’t even close to an option.  Anyway, all this to illustrate that Portland, Oregon is NOT a cheap date.  I think I could have shipped the damn thing to Missouri, had it fixed, and shipped back for less.  Well, maybe not.
Maybe it would be cheaper to ship it out. The clothes washer went out a month ago and I called the guy. Mind you I'm well off the beaten path. Ten miles of off road 4x4 commercial driving, crossing creeks, up rocky terrain, the consummate Jeep ad. He came out and diagnosed the control panel was tired, (touch screen controls) and several pumps were blocked with calcium deposits. So much for the benefits of the water softener.

Trip charge of $65 to diagnose, parts and labor $235. And an Osage Orange bent pot, a 50 gram jar of Spill'sbane and a quarter pound of old Lane 1-Q. He's talking about buying one of the llama babies later this year, so half that money will come back.

Couldn't pull that off in Tigard.

For the truck tranny you might trY a wrecking yard get a low mile used one, many yard will also install . Good luck