Just Won a Charatan Belvedere on Ebay...a little HELP please

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydogguy

Reaction score
It says that it is an older pipe. I can't semm to find anything on it yet. I was wondering if any of you could help me. It says it has a stamp of a "4" on the shank and an "S" on the bottom of the bowl. It's a straight billiard.

I won it for $30.

I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price for a Charatan. :?:

What can you guys come up with?

Thanks,
Lucky

OK.

My un-tutored guess (I'm not a fan of this family of shapes, so am not conversant with them) would be that it's shape is a cross between a Dublin and a Woodstock. Gatewheel'd probably be able to dial you in (for whatever reason, he's the first of several Charatan heads whose name comes to mind).

The marking that looks like a "4" in a circle is a fancy "L," signifying that Lane Ltd. imported it into the US. The "DC" at the end of the shape number = "Double Comfort" (a signal to the stemmer to put a two-step saddle stem on it, which it has).

So -- made by Charatan previous to the point where Dunhill bought the name (around 1980) and ran it into the ground. (If I recall, Charatan-branded pipes are, or were, being made in France).

There is enough of the CP logo left on the stem that I'd retire it, opting to have Lat Man make you a new one for smoking (with a better airway) and, depending on what was smoked in it, probably an interior refurb to start over fresh with.

Nice pipe :D A legitimate golden ager and with prettier briar than you'd expect in a Belvedere grade.

:face:

Nice Paul,

you should be able to really clean that up. You've got good hands for that stuff....keep me posted.

P2161151.jpg

This should be the model you spoke of, luckydog, and this is what it should look like when you're done refurbishing it. As Yak notes, the "S" you mentioned is likely a florid "L."

Aha ! :affraid:

I went hunting in the completed listings, found a Belvedere that sold recently for around $30, and figured that was that. Turns out there musta' been two of them, and the second was billiard.

My bad :oops:

:face:

I hate it when I go florid! It' so embarrassing.

That's a sharp looking pipe.

Gatewheel,

Yes, that's the one. :cheers: Where did you find a picture of it? Anyone have any feedback on how they smoke? Maybe what tobaccos smoke well in it?

Thanks, guys,
Lucky

LD... couldn't really tell you where I got the picture... it's not one of mine, though. I have a number of pictures of different model Charatans that I've collected from different sources. It should be about 6" long, about 2" tall, 1 1/2" wide bowl, with 7/8" chamber... all individual pipes have variances that affect smoking quality, but this one has nice thick walls for cool smoking, and is my favorite size for smoking VA flakes...

GW,,
Thanks! I will have to try soem when I get it. I'll let you guys know how it smokes.

Be any chance would you guys know how much that pipe is worth? Just wondering if how I did. Don't really care as long as it smokes good.

Lucky

It arrived and it's all cleaned up ( the Charatan that is). I am smoking my first bowl in it as I type. The pipe has a little charing on the inside of the bowl so one side of the bowl is heating up a little faster then the rest of the bowl (don't know if this matters or not or if I can fix it?) but , it is smoking rather nicely. I have a Virginia Blend in it. some " Haunted Bookshop."

I'm about 15 minutes into it a nd so far so good. Looks like I picked up a nice second pipe for virginia. :D

Is there a way to fix the inside of a bowl?

Thanks,
lucky

Lucky,

Are you saying thsat the inside of the bowl is worn thinnner in a certain spot?

Davey,

Yes, That 's correct. I'm wondering if I can fix or even if it matters or not.

I would love some feedback if you guys know.

Thanks,
Lucky