Justified

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Just watched the last installment of “Justified”…stream binged via ROKU. It was recommended by my brother in law. You can look up details if you want, but basically it’s a series of linked episodes featuring a US. Marshall in Harlan County, KY. The interwoven coal mining, moonshine distilling, pot growing, bank robbing, one family against another…no, make that several others. I should have known something was amiss when my favorite character was the most evil one. Incredible character acting and dialog. Often hysterical. More fun than a barrel of red neck monkeys. No slurs intended. Like Breaking Bad in ways. Gotta say, one of the better things on TV I’ve seen.
E0F6BB05-0059-4062-ABC3-8B2F23DAA2E2.jpeg

I liked it a lot, especially the first couple of seasons. Walton Goggins and Damon Herriman were powerhouses. I still liked it more than most by the end, but the writing was obviously lazier by then. The FX network was on a big roll back then. You could almost bank on every FX series being good to great. The only negative I can say about it is that I then realized Timothy Olyphant is either type cast or can't play any other character than Raylan. It was also then that I realized Natalie Zea had some powerful Hollywood backing. I could be wrong, but someone in Hollywood really, really wanted her to be a big TV star. Not many people get as many chances as she has while not having any of the shows take off. That's nothing against her Justified character. I just find it interesting how networks will pick an actor, or actress, and be stubborn when they're in pursuit of the next Julie Bowen, for example.

I thought that the writing went up and down from show to show instead of just worse in later seasons. Best characters were Boyd, Dewey, the gold hearted hooker and a few others. Never was impressed with Ava‘s character. Definitely a guys show.