Kaywoodie Annual Christmas Pipe Fest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docwatson

Reaction score
Here's the latest from Bill Feuerbach V.P. of S.M. Frank & Co. (Kaywoodie Pipes) in upstate New York.
I'm really looking forward to this spectacular event, and anyone else interested here is the latest information.

Gentlemen,

We are getting closer to the 2012 Holiday Party and Northeast Regional
Smoking Contest to be held December 8th at the offices of S.M. Frank &
Co., 1000 North Division Street, Peekskill, NY 10566. Remember, not
the address where you sent the registration form and check

As of todays mail, we have 50 people confirmed and registered to
attend. If you know of anyone who wants to come, please encourage them
to send in their registration right away. In the list of 50 there are 5 or 6 who will give
up their spot in the smoking contest for someone who really wants to be
in it. Also remember we are not closing the doors at 48 people, only
the number of contest participants. With the expanded layout we went
with last year we can accommodate 70-75 people, maybe more. So anyone
who signs up after the 48 spots are filled can still come and enjoy the
food and drink and a day of pipes and tobacco and pick up a new pipe or
two and some fine tobaccos.

The $30 fee helps pay for the Italian buffet, snacks, dessert, imported and domestic beer, wine and soda. If you would like to bring a bottle of something, like bourban or scotch to share, please feel free to add it to our little "bar".. Please also appoint a designated driver if you travel as a group

Confirmed exhibitors are Kaywoodie, Paul Bonacquisti/Park Lane
Tobacconist, Andy Camire with estate pipes,
Steve Monjure with Ardor and Brebbia among others, and pipemakers Tim
Hynick and Joe Skoda. Still waiting to hear from Rolando Negoita and
Dr. Bob Keiss, but I'm pretty sure they are coming
again this year. Dick "Cheif Catoonah" Silverman will also be in
attendance with some of his tobaccos. I am a pleased to announce that
Neil Flancbaum of Smokin Holsters will be joining us this year, so if
you're the market for leather pipe accessories you're in luck as Neil's
work is of the highest quality.

Will send out another update toward the end of next week, until then I
better get working on the contest pipes and order the food

Best regards,

Bill Feuerbach

Gentlemen,

Just one last update before Saturdays get together. We stand at 54
confirmed people with a few more who are considering coming that may
bring the total close to 60. The event starts at 1pm though if you get
into town a little early someone will be there. The address is 1000
North Division Street, Peekskill, NY 10566, not the Newburgh address
you mailed the checks to. The phone number at the shop is 800-431-2752
should you need to reach me.

Exhibitors include Paul Bonacquisti/Park Lane Tobacconist, Andy Camire
with estate pipes, pipemakers Rolando Negoita, Joe Skoda, Tim Hynick,
Dr. Bob Keiss and of couse Kaywoodie. Steve Monjure will have Ardors
and Brebbias amoung other things and Neil "Smokin Holsters" Flancbaum
will be there with his leather goods. And I believe Dick "Chief
Catoonah" Silverman will be bringing some of his tobaccos. There will
also be a table of pipes and tobacco being sold by
members of the Hudson Valley Pipe Club. I also encourage guys to bring
pipes for trading, remember the old days of the pipe shows when the
trade was just as exciting as purchasing a new pipe?

I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag as to the tobacco or pipe
shape for the contest but I can say this, the tobacco is one that has
been in the news this year and the stummels used to make the pipes are
at least 25 years old and came from a source in France, so they may
very well be Algerian wood.

Our menu for dinner is Salad, Eggplant Parmagina, Baked Ziti, Fettucini
Primavera, Steamed Broccoli, Meatballs, Sausage and Peppers, Chicken
Scarppiello, 6Ft of Italian Combo Hero, Dinner Rolls, Cake and Cookies.
Beverages provided are Beer, Wine and Soda. We'll also have the
usual munchies for the afternoon. And again if anyone wants to bring a
bottle of spirits to add to our little "bar", please feel free to do so.

Should be a great day as always. Weather forecast is for some rain,
but mild enough temperatures to keep it as rain and not snow. Look
forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

Best regards,
Bill Feuerbach

Sean,
My mouth is watering already and the pipes are packed. I'm ready.
Andy

Andy:
I'm in a holding pattern. My Wife's Uncle just passed this evening. Massive heart attack, the paramedic said he was gone before he hit the ground. I just got home and my Wife is insisting that I go to the contest! We'll see in the morning what's what. For now, I'll say I'll be there. If I can't make it, I'll try to get a message out to the HVPC fellas and Bill...........

Andy, this event sounds like a lot of great food, great pipes, and even better comraderie. Wish I was closer, because I would love to attend! :santa:

Dutch,
We'd love to have you for sure. I'm off on my 3 hour drive to attend today, looking forward to seeing all the Brothers, and collectors/smokers.
It's always a great feeling to see new people attend these events and meet new faces.

Damn Sean,
Unexpected events can really be a bummer for sure, I'm sure you wife needs your support at this time, maybe you can sneak away for a couple hours?? sorry to hear the sad news, my regards to your spouse.
Andy

Thanks Fellas!
The Wife is pushing me out the door.
She reminded me that when her other Uncle passed away a few years ago, we had tickets to take the kids to see "Monster Jam" in Hartford. We were told to go by the family. It was nice to have the kids thinking about something other than death and sadness. :(

My Wife wants her Brother to still go with me. She said pretty much what was said before, "Go and try to keep Sean (My Brother in Law) occupied and maybe he can relax for a few hours, there's not much we can do now until the wake & funeral" Pretty cool of the family in light of what happened yesterday.

I have to see if Sean is up for this. I don't want to push him too hard, The decision is his to make.........

The event was a huge success!
Even though I didn't did nearly as well as last year (Finished 25th. place :x ), I had a great time. Joe "Mad Dog" Mason, from my club, The Hudson Valley pipe Club, was the big winner for the night. He beat the competition into the ground! Here is a photo of the winner and his spoils:

HUDSON VALLEY PIPE CLUB MEMBERS: JOE "MAD DOG" MASON AND BILL FEUERBACH (KAYWOODIE / S.M. FRANK)

Here was the table that the Hudson Valley Pipe Club had set up for sales. PS: My pipes are all on the left side of the table (Many are still available...wink, wink, nudge, nudge :p )

Here is an absolutely DROP, DEAD, GORGEOUS Don Carlos uber super duper unsmoked / new "High Grade" that I have that listed for $1200, I was looking to get around $900-950. Had a couple of tire kickers, but no serious offers. (This is also a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge special for any B.O.B.'s who are looking for a monster with more straight grain than I've ever seen on a pipe!)

Here is a picture of the Hudson Valley Pipe Club members who made it to the event:

LEFT TO RIGHT: HOWIE, DAVE, DENNIS, PAUL BONACQUISTI, JOE, BILL, MYSELF, ROB, and ROLANDO NEGOITA (Kneeling)

Here is the contest pipe, an aged French Briar Paneled Rhodesian by Kaywoodie:

DOVERPIPES IN ACTION DURING THE SLOW SMOKE CONTEST!!!

Dick Silverman aka "Chief Catoonah": The man behind the 2012 Throwdown Blend "Princes Street Mixture" (If you haven't tried it yet, do yourself a favor and GET SOME NOW!!!!)

......and last but not least, our very own DOCWATSON aka Andy Camire w/ Paul Bonacquisti of Park Lane Tobacconists aka "The Evil Genius Behind Red Paramour / RED CRACK"!!!

Looks like a great time!
I received some Red Paramour from my Secret Santa. I am looking forward to it!

Great shots, D-man! I'm glad you were able to make it! :cheers: :cheers:

Was the Princes Street Mixture this year's contest blend? I remember you saying that last year's blend left you completely tongue bitten. Hope you fared better this time.

Sean,
Your pictures are worth a thousand words as they say. THANKS for being able to make it there and for posting your pictures. I can't believe it's over already. Great memories to keep until the next time. As always it was a pleasure to spend some time with you.
Andy

MisterE":n52zd9vx said:
Was the Princes Street Mixture this year's contest blend? I remember you saying that last year's blend left you completely tongue bitten. Hope you fared better this time.
Yes, it was!!! :cheers:
Great tobacco IMHO and I still have to get some down to you (I know.....I know)
PSM is great, but the general consensus was that it was not the right tobacco for the contest. It doesn't stay lit for a single / double match light. I was out in twenty minutes! Lots of "heavy hitters" were wiped out VERY early on. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PSM, but it wasn't the best for the contest IMHO.

docwatson":n52zd9vx said:
Sean, Your pictures are worth a thousand words as they say. THANKS for being able to make it there and for posting your pictures. I can't believe it's over already. Great memories to keep until the next time. As always it was a pleasure to spend some time with you.
Andy
Andy, believe me, I had many more to post but didn't want to clog the board with a pic heavy post! :p
Great seeing you, as always!

Sean,
I'm no heavy hitter when it comes to smoking contests for sure, but I was the fourth guy out with just over 10 minutes. LOL
But it still didn't stop me from buying a pound of Prince's Street Mixture. I'll let it dry out a bit and it will be perfect.