Kaywoodie Block Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking around at an old Pipe and Tobacco store (that has now also turned into a liquor store and a head shop just to stay in business.)

I came across a Kaywoodie Block Meerschaum pipe for $70 (straight Billiard).

I have been doing some research on the internet, but I can't find any new Kaywoodie Meerschaum pipes.

Are they still being made? If not, when did they stop?

Do you guys think this pipe is worth $70?

Thanks,

Todd

I can't answer your question as to if Kaywooodie is still selling new meers but if I could get an unsmoked Kaywoodie meer for $70 I'd be on it like white on rice.
I have one Kaywoodie meer but it has a slight surface crack in the bowl, not all the way through. I'm not complaining. I only paid $10 for the pipe and it's still sound.

Is it unsmoked or used? I also didn't know Kaywoodie ever made meers, and it's been years since you could export meerschaum out of Turkey, so it might be old? Unless it's the South African version of meerschaum, similar to what Peterson used in some of their pipes.

Natch

Natch":8wbzxgia said:
Is it unsmoked or used? I also didn't know Kaywoodie ever made meers, and it's been years since you could export meerschaum out of Turkey, so it might be old? Unless it's the South African version of meerschaum, similar to what Peterson used in some of their pipes.

Natch
I don't know the origins of the Meerschaum, but the pipe is unsmoked.

Todd

Checkout WWW.pipepages.com There is a block meer in the 1947 Kaywoodie catalog selling for $25.00 at the time.You may want to check out the catalogs from other years to help you date that particular pipe. Either way apparently Kaywoodie did offer meers and $70.00 sounds like a good deal for one IMHO.

Based on what I can find on the helpful links that flytyer posted it looks like this block Meerschaum pipe is likely from the late 60's or early 70's.

It there a way for me to judge the likely age based on the number of holes in the stinger? Which is older, 3 holes or 4 holes?

Thanks,

Todd

4 hole stingers are older. It should come in a fitted case as well. All of the block meers that I have came that way. IMO the money asked for the pipe is very reasonable, and since they don't make them anymore they would be considered quite a collectible. Nice find. Grab it!!!

Thanks for the great info.

I intend to pick it up this afternoon.

They also have carved Meerschaum Kaywoodies for $110. If anyone wants one, let me know and I will pick it up for you.

Todd

Kaywoodie Block Meerschaums were made from 1938 to the mid 1960's. The meerschaum pipe business by Kaywoodie was revitalized when Paul Fischer was hired and emigrated from Austria to run the meerschaum pipe department. Kaywoodie meerschuams were available in earlier years but not as prominently as when Paul Fischer came on board. He left in 1960 to make meerschuams under his own name. We continued to make them for several years after he left until we could no longer import meerschaum from Turkey.

For $70 I think that would be a fair price for a pipe that is at least 45 years old. Post some pics if you get it.

Well guys, I have good news and bad news.

First the bad news: It wasn't a Kaywoodie. It was a meereschaum and it was in a Kaywoodie box, but after I picked it up and took a closer look at it I realized that it was not a Kaywoodie. It was a typical no name meerschaum and it really wasn't put together all that well. I left it.

On the way home I stopped at an antique shop to see if they had added any new estate pipes since the last time I had been there. At this point my luck changed.

I found this meerschaum for $8:

174758.jpg

And I found this cool old Falcon for $15:

174848.jpg

So, it wasn't such a bad day after all.

Todd