Kaywoodie Drinkless System, RIP?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGErwin11

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
According to WV Smoke Shop, KW will be discontinuing stingers in favor of a push stem.

Personally, I think this is great. I currently own 2 KW's, a Saxon and a POY from another forum. Both have push stems and both deliver superb smokes. My Dad, before he quit smoking, only smoked KW's with the stinger. So it was natural that is what he would choose when he would get me a pipe for Christmas and birthdays. I never could cotton up to them. Maybe because of my unrefined techniques. Back in the 70's we did not have access to as much knowledge.

Some have said it is due to the cost of producing the stingers. Many, like me, think it is because more and more pipe smokers are rejecting stingers. They have introduced a new line or two recently with push tenons. I wonder if these might have met widespread acceptance and guided their decision? Or maybe a combination of both.

I don't know if I like this is or not. I love my old Kaywoodies, but I have to say, the one high grade Kaywoodie I own has a push stem and is an outstanding pipe.

KW stingers belong in the museum of pipe gimmickry that didn't really work, perhaps in the solutions-to-problems-that-don't-exist wing. What? There is no such museum? Well, there should be, if one could find a building large enough.

Just my opinion, needless to say. I'm sure that others have had wonderful experiences with the nasty things. :tongue:

Richard Burley":1nl3pzog said:
KW stingers belong in the museum of pipe gimmickry that didn't really work, perhaps in the solutions-to-problems-that-don't-exist wing. What? There is no such museum? Well, there should be, if one could find a building large enough.

Just my opinion, needless to say. I'm sure that others have had wonderful experiences with the nasty things.  :tongue:
I collect (that's a shocker eh?) weird and unusual filter/gimmick system pipes and don't have one Kaywoodie in it, maybe I should reconsider.........Nah!

Cart I'll be restoring some soon. Some with the stinger cut off and some still in tact. I'll let you know when they're ready just in case you change your mind.

I remember reading somewhere that the stingers were supposed cool the smoke by acting as condensers but the only things that they did well was constrict airflow, make it hard to pass an in-smoke pipe cleaner, and create unwanted turbulence. The fact that folks were chopping them off tells me everything I need to know about the Drinkless System.

It means I might buy kaywoodies again.

Goodbye and good riddance imho. :cheers:

I think a P-lip with a stinger would be the perfect combination. Everything you love all in one. Like a Resse's peanut butter cup. If you could only find a way to incorporate that into a Magic Inch pipe, you'd have the perfect piece of engineering. It'd smoke itself.

MisterE":pc6zsfg9 said:
I think a P-lip with a stinger would be the perfect combination. Everything you love all in one. Like a Resse's peanut butter cup. If you could only find a way to incorporate that into a Magic Inch pipe, you'd have the perfect piece of engineering. It'd smoke itself.
E, take it to the next logical step and bring all this into the 21st century, an APP ! Have a P-lip magic inch pipe with a stinger in it on the screen, point phone at yourself ala a "selfie" and voila! Your smoking !! without all that mess and fuss of 'baccy, smoke and smell !! You'd be THE 21 st Century Pipe Smoker !! :twisted: :twisted: Reality is Virtual after all :twisted: :twisted:

MisterE":vba0qmag said:
It would have to. Nobody else would. :twisted:

I was in need of a Kaywoodie and found one on Ebay. Beautiful Flame Grain lavot in PERFECT condition.

But, I did not want a PERFECT KW, so I removed the stinger. Now I've got one IMPERFECT KW which smokes like a dream.

I love smoking my older 4-hole stinger KW's. I've had older push-stem KW's as well (Hand Made line). Both smoke equally as well.

I suspect in a modern world that a push stem pipe is cheaper to make that to tool up and produce stingers.

Seems like the consensus of opinion here is that KKW is making a positive move. I agree.

I've got an old KW with the 4 hole stinger. It actually smokes very well with the stinger, my only complaint is the stinger is a pain to clean. Having said that I think it's a good move for Kaywoodie to get rid of the stingers. It makes their pipes fit in with the modern excepted "normal". I my opinion it would be good marketing for them to switch over mostly to push in stems and then market a line of pipes with stingers as "historic"

Hang on to the stinger, though, because if you ever sell your Kaywoodie you'll want to have it complete. Funny thing estate pipes are.

Maybe y'all should ask Bill Feuerbach himself!
He is KWGuy here on B.O.B. :king:

I'll have him chime in........
Miss chatting with you Eric.
Don't be a stranger!