Keep us in your thoughts.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
So I graduated from college and I have been looking for a job for awhile now and I'm having a bit of trouble finding one, I've gotten a few applications and some prospects are on the horizon but one is not full time and the other is less than ideal but beggars can't be choosers. Basically I'm sort of scared about the future right now. Please keep Amy and I in your thought's and prayers. Thanks all.

Aaron.

Keep your head up. Takes a while to get what you want, even with a degree. With hard work you'll find something you are passionate about.

With the economy tanking, it is indeed a lousy time to be starting out. Jobs are disappearing at a record rate, so you are in competition with experienced displaced people in addition to other grads.

Sending out paperwork and waiting for the phone to ring is how it works in good times, not the bad ones. Fire ALL your guns, Aaron.

Unless your degree is in a specialty (law, medicine, engineering, etc.), it means little to an employer except as proof of aptitude & attitude to complete what you start, and an indicator of enlightened self-interest. The majority of the incoming workforce has one these days. Don't apply only within your field of study, in other words. Be creative with your contacts, play to your strengths, and be willing to relocate, and something will probably turn up.

take whatever you can get for now! when I got out of college I worked for a temp. agency, it was good experience! remember persistance pays! whatever you do in the meantime, think of it as character building! positive thoughts! what's your degree in?

Aaron --

The only advice I can give echos the other replies to your post: stay positive and keep at it! As my grandfather would have said, "Chin up, little camper!" (He would say that to me when I was in my 20's...) Hang in there; hard work and diligence WILL pay off!

Best wishes,

Trout Bum

Aaron,

You are a good man and the Lord knows the needs of you and your family. He will be your provision. Don't ever forget that. There will be a way for you. It might not be at all what you think it should be but the Lord knows deep in your heart what your desires are. Open your eyes, ears and heart to hear him.

May the Lord bless and keep you, Amy and Dylan!

Hang in there. I graduated from law school in 1981 which was also a recession year--mortgage interest rates were approaching 18% if you can imagine that. Nonetheless, all turned out well. You'll be fine.

Be humble and persist. Though you have a degree, which is of course valuable, you do not have a lot of work experience which is the second necessary part of the equation. Early on you will have to do what you must to pull a paycheck, but remain vigilant in your search even after getting some kind of employment. At some point a prospective employer will find that you now have what he or she wishes to see, and you will begin to find the doors you sought opening. If you're field is not hurting for bodies it will take a while to find your way into it, and has has been stated already, right now things are tough all over.

A lesson I learned in a management course a long time ago--

Success = P.I.E. of equal parts

P.I.E. = Performance Image Exposure

Right now you have control over the latter two.

Good luck,

Jim

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words, my degree is in Sociology so my field is fairly narrow.

However in better news, I got a job this weekend working at a Pipe and tobacco store in my town. It's not in my field, however it is something I've wanted to do since I started smoking a pipe. Too bad it is only part time. I guess I'll need to find another job to go along with it. But I should be able to start next week when my boss gets the schedule made up.

Aaron, who knows?, you just may be on your way to a career in the pipe/tobacco industry!

Justpipes":w8fnqvg6 said:
Aaron,

You are a good man and the Lord knows the needs of you and your family. He will be your provision. Don't ever forget that. There will be a way for you. It might not be at all what you think it should be but the Lord knows deep in your heart what your desires are. Open your eyes, ears and heart to hear him.

I concur. Many times in my life I've been worried and wondering what I'm going to do. When I put it all into God's hands He had never failed to make a way for me.

Keep the faith and be brave !

Prayers and Best Wishes coming your way......and congrats on the new gig :pipe:

Been there, done that. It will turn out all right.

In the meanwhile, good luck in your hunt.

I can't add to the wisdom already given, but I can encourage you.
As Stonewall Jackson used to say "Press On! Press On!" this shouted as his troops charged into battle.
A man trying to find work can sometimes seem like a battle; for a time in the early 90's I had been layed off from a job I had thought was permanent but as I found out, no job is forever. For a time I worked as a laborer pushing wheelbarrow loads of gravel, for a while I worked three part time jobs just to make ends meet. Now I'm doing better than I ever thought I would, but with the economy the way it is you never know whats coming so I've just learned to go with the flow.
Anyway, does the pipe shop give employee discounts? :pipe:

Centurian 803":voie1lb0 said:
Justpipes":voie1lb0 said:
Aaron,

I concur. Many times in my life I've been worried and wondering what I'm going to do. When I put it all into God's hands He had never failed to make a way for me.
Oh how very true, He knows exactly what you need but will not interfear, ask with humility and He will give, first your needs and then your wants, but be most carefull what you ask for, for you will get it.

Remembering you and your family in my prayers.

LL makes an interesting point that I have long felt was valid; like since I graduated from college in 1973. The REAL value, to an employer, of a college degree is PROOF that you can set goals and achieve them. I majored in Computer Science and graduated right at the time that the Aerospace Industry led the economy into a big ass recession. There was a ton of MORE educated and MORE experienced people in my field. I settled for a job in banking and did quite well. DON'T confine yourself to your degree field. Stretch out a little. Most large employers will re-educate you anyway.

An interesting side bar. I ran with the heavy hitters in Computer Science while in school. Problem was, after classes "they" would shoot pool and drink beer. I would go home and bust my ass to stay competitive. Good thing I landed that banking job. I would have been miserable fighting to maintain the status of "over achiever" for an entire career. IOW, "settling" is not always "settling." It's good to be over qualified; you can kick major ass.

Be the best tobacco store employe that walks. I learned in the military, all it takes is a little more shoe polish than everyone else uses. They just threw stripes at me.

Have a professional write your resume. Get it printed on high grade paper.

You are a sales representative for a leading tobacco retailer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"Market" yourself.

I listed "petroleum product distribution experience" on my resume,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I pumped gas.

Most interviewers cracked up and saw it as "confidence."

"Control" interviews by asking "them" the questions.

Heart surgeons wear loafers because they can't tie their shoes.

Make your own luck!