Kensington

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Houston

Reaction score
My first pipe of Kensington was at a pipe club meeting where we were smoking some stout Balkans. This one just did hold up to what I'd just smoked, and I don't think I finished the bowl.

Then, recently I traded some open tins and received this current Kensington tin. I've been smoking it a good bit lately, and am really taken by this blend. My tin date was Oct 2006 -- I'm not sure how long it was open before I got it.

Greg's site says:
Kensington is a Balkan style blend with restraint. Bright and red Virginias are combined with richly flavoured leaf from the orient and Cyprian Latakia in perfect measure for a wonderfully balanced smoke. Slightly sweeter than Charing Cross, and not quite as full due to a more delicate hand with the Latakia. Spicy, with an occasional suggestion of orange blossom. Complex, but never ponderous. A slightly lighter variant of a classic style.

He recently wrote up his experience with a 3 year old tin of Kensington and rightly seems very pleased with himself: http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=35#more-35

In responses to his blog, Greg is a bit coy regarding the blend that Kensington was based on.

Matt Says: August 31st, 2007 at 8:31
I just got a tin of this from 04, and It’s wonderful! So…..Whats the Archtype that inspired it? huh? Inquiring mind here in the back….. Need the info…

glpease Says: August 31st, 2007 at 10:38
Ah, that would be telling, Matt. One day, probably soon, all will be revealed. The blends that inspired these may be a little surprising! In the meanwhile, I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Might be about time for me to open another myself!

If I had to guess, I think Kensington is a Cyprian-only version of Rennaisance, which is my favorite English. But I'm not sure if he would re-create his own blend as a classic. Of course there is Falcon, but I don't see that he has placed it in the Classics collection.

Maybe I like it so much because, in his ranking of fullest to mildest blends, Kensington is right next to, but just lighter than, Renaissance. If you enjoyed the relative strength of Renaissance, then I'd encourage you to try Kensington.

Anyone else smoking Kensington?

Yes, I am also fond of Kensington, especially when I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter than Abingdon. The man surely has the gift, doesn't he? Nice to have such a range to choose from. May he live long and prosper!

I popped a tin of Kensington today. Like Carlos, I found it a sweet Balkan and very nice, especially as the bowl progressives. I've also opened Ashbury a couple of days ago. Immediately, I was taken by Ashbury and I'm looking forward to smoking both of these over the next couple of weeks.

I've never smoked Renaissance so I can't compare the strength but I think Kensington is a pretty light English. I like it a lot as a change pace from stronger blends.