Kentucky Dark Fired as a Latakia Replacement

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
At various times particular component tobaccos become difficult to acquire for DIY blenders. As mentioned in another thread, perique has become a difficult find for DIY blenders. If perique becomes completely unavailable for DIY blenders, there really is no substitute. Latakia has also become periodically unavailable. I'm wondering if Kentucky Dark Fired would substitute in an English blend. Does anyone know of any commercial English/Balkan blends which have used Kentucky Dark Fired as a Latakia replacement?

Not as a replacement that I have heard of. They are normally used as a condiment. GL Pease Sextant uses both in the blend. Must be others out there that do that.

There is a number of blends using dark fired Kentucky and Virginia's. Some with perique. I have not seen any blend claiming to use dark fired Kentucky in place of Latakia. They are very different components.

There is a number of blends using dark fired Kentucky and Virginia's. Some with perique. I have not seen any blend claiming to use dark fired Kentucky in place of Latakia. They are very different components.
I agree with your observation, to a degree. I don't see any manufacturer describing dark fired Kentucky as replacing latakia in an English blend. But the question remains, if latakia becomes unavailable will the major manufacturers make an attempt to use Kentucky dark fired to replace the smokiness that latakia imparts to a blend.
In that government regulation of everything tobacco may result in an ultimate ban on the importation of tobacco from anywhere outside the U.S., will manufacturers seek to replace foreign grown and/or processed tobacco with domestic leaf processed in the U.S.?

I suspect one of two things will happen.
1. They will make what they can with what they got and can get. Substitution attempts, very unlikely.
2. They will throw their hands up in disgust, move out the remaining stock and shut down.

If we had a business friendly government, I would be more optimistic.

I suspect one of two things will happen.
1. They will make what they can with what they got and can get. Substitution attempts, very unlikely.
2. They will throw their hands up in disgust, move out the remaining stock and shut down.

If we had a business friendly government, I would be more optimistic.
There are ample strains of burley, Virginia, Carolina, Maryland, Connecticut shade and broadleaf, nicotiana rustica, and others for most continued production. There's no reason why smyrna, izmir, basma, and other orientals can't be grown in the U.S.
I do think that the nature of cigar production will change exponentially, not so much with pipe tobacco production.
Plus, I think we'll see innumerable boutique growers and processors.