Key Largo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

The long-awaited Key Largo is (FINALLY !) scheduled for release the week of July 7th.

http://www.glpease.com/News/

Let the celebration begin :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:face:

Finally! :tongue: Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

:pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe: :pipe:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I can't wait!!!!! This stuff sounds right up my alley!!! :pipe:

I got a sample from Greg at the pipe show last May,it was excellent as usual but I need to smoke a tin or so before I can appreciate a blend.I'll get some for the stash cellar.

Winslow

Great stuff. I had the opportunity to smoke some of the prototype in both halves of the latest box pass. I really like it and also had a chance to try some of The Bankers about the same time. I like both.

However, head Greg's warning. Key Largo was a stout blend, at least to my palate.

I was going to order some but decided to wait until the NASPC show on August 23 which the Dark Lord attends, or so I'm informed. I might as buy it straight from the source.

Just some thoughts from a bowl last evening on the front porch. Smoking my new Rad Davis Castello shape #55.

Not a review. I haven't smoked near enough of it.

I really like the cigar leaf in this blend. I anticipate great aging potential. I think it will get slightly milder as it ages and should really come into it's own. For me it's strongly flavored. Not as strong as Robusto.

Having smoked a number of older tins of other blends. Some of which have mellowed so much as to be very much different that what they were. I think Key Largo will be cherished in 20 years. It will have the flavor strength to last. If that makes any sense at all.

I was reminded a lot of the stoved red Virginia used in C&D's Bayou Morning Flake. An honest tasting red Virginia. Not overly sweet. I just love it.

So what have some of you other guys to say?

Darn it! I'm in the invidious position of having so much tobacco open that I can't bring myself to open my tin of Key Largo. Your proforma review seems a tad luke-warm (my imagination). Or is it just the aging potential thing that I've picked up wrongly? Think I'll wait a bit. Build up an appetite. Now this is TRUE delayed gratification.

Muddler":3fszoztv said:
Darn it! I'm in the invidious position of having so much tobacco open that I can't bring myself to open my tin of Key Largo. Your proforma review seems a tad luke-warm (my imagination). Or is it just the aging potential thing that I've picked up wrongly? Think I'll wait a bit. Build up an appetite. Now this is TRUE delayed gratification.

Oh no. I am liking it a lot. I stash so much that I am trying to think ahead for the potential. A lot of guessing and little real experience to go on. It's more hopes and dreams.

As an example. I have smoked a ton of aged Dunhills and some other stuff over the past year. What I have noticed, assuming that there has been some changes always ongoing to the blends. That they tend to mellow some. Orientals in the blends can sometimes get stronger or come to the forefront. Some have been rare experiences of greatness.

I have a tin of old Balkan Sobranie 759 that I opened and it was still sealed. It's good. But it's so old that it's lost something. I cannot find much magic in that tin but I keep hoping I will hit the right combination.

(Re-Post from the Knoxboard) :

G. L. Pease's latest masterwork is finally a commercially-available reality ! Samples of prototype versions of it have drawn rave reviews, fueling widespread anticipation that (apparently) unavoidable delays in the process of getting it to market have frustrated mightily.

But it's finally available, and all that's past now.

If you liked Balkan Sobranie Virginian Nr.10 (and who didn't ?), you're likely to enjoy Key Largo. It isn't "the same" -- nothing is ever the same -- but it resurrects a genre of pipeweed that hasn't existed since Sobranie House went out of business : a pressed Virginia-cum-orientals with cigar leaf filling in around the edges.

And if you came along too late to catch the venerated BSVa10, you're in for the treat of discovering what this combination can add up to in the hands of a master (the afforementioned Mr. Pease).

No, it doesn't "taste like a cigar." It isn't that simple. Complexity is the identifying fingerprint left by GLP on nearly all his creations, and Key Largo (named for the Bogart film, of course) is no exception.

I've kept two personal favorite pipes (both with Va10 cakes) in reserve for years, first hoping -- and then waiting -- for this day to come so they could continue on in their accustomed course. I expect a few others will be augmenting them now that the long-cherished dream has finally come true. Two pipes are far too few for dedicating to this stuff.

About five should do it.

Or maybe six . . . ? :scratch: