Kilted1\'s Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilted1

Reaction score
Brothers of the Briar,

Several years ago Mike of Big Lou's Back Room asked me to produce some Tobacco Blends for him. At the time he was trying his had at blending and thought that I might enjoy the opportunity to join him in these efforts. So he mailed me a broad selection of tobaccos to get started with. I purchased a good quality scale similar to this one American Weigh AMW-1000 Digital Bench which could precisely weigh small batch tobacco blends with consistency.

Unfortunately, the project never really went very far, Mike has since sold Big Lou's Back Room to someone else and has returned to teaching. The blends have never really found a 'home' and I've never really been all that interested in pursuing trying sell them to anyone.

I have since the original development cycles re-worked all formulations into blends that can be re-produced using common bulk tobaccos available to most people. All of the 'source tobaccos' are from C&D bulk blending tobacco, with the exception of Stoved VA which is McClelland 5105 & Burley which is McClelland's X 40 Burley although probably any un-cased Burley would do. The Oriental is Turkish and the Black Cavendish is unsweetened.

In order to try these blends yourselves, you will need to acquire a digital scale calculated in grams. It need not be as 'fancy' or expensive as the one I have. I'm NOT going to try to convert the recipes into ounces. You can do that if you are so inclined. If you want to produce larger batches you will have to do the math.

The initial idea was to produce a Blue & Gray Series based upon Northern and Southern Civil War Heroes, Legends and Places. I've added a couple other blends to the Original Series. Blend up and enjoy!

Fredricksburg Mixture

December 1862 -- The Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia -- Confederate Victory
Combining all that is best about the South. Rich Red, Lemon and Stoved Virginia with Perique from the deep South combined with a bold touch. Spicy yet mild and cool smoking, this mixture is for the disearning smoker seeking a Va/Per mixture with a "rebel heart".

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td> Red Virginia 70%</td><td>14 grs </td></tr><tr><td> Lemon VA 6%</td><td> 1.2 grs</td></tr><tr><td>Stoved VA 6% </td><td>1.2 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 18% </td><td>3.6 grs </td></tr></table>
General Longstreet

General James Longstreet -- Confederate
Despite a distinguished military record, high command experience and several brilliant victories, General Longstreet has often been blamed for the loss of Gettysburg. This Rich Virginia/Burley mixture is highly nuanced with gentle cigar leaf and spicy Perique, allowing the smoker an ever changing and evolvling smoking experience.

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Red Virginia 35% </td><td> 7 grs </td></tr><tr><td> Lemon Virginia 5%</td><td>1 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Stoved Virginia 5% </td><td>1 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Cigar Leaf 12% </td><td>2.4 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Burley 35% </td><td>7 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 8% </td><td>1.6 grs </td></tr></table>

Stonewall Jackson

Stonewall Jackson -- 1824-1863 -- Confederate
"You may be whatever you resolve to be"
A stalwart blend Of Fine Cigar Leaf, Perique, Stoved Virginia and a touch of Black Cavendish to honor a giant of a stout hearted man. Bold and spicy in every detail, seeking to fulfill a "destiny" for the smoker who seeks the pleasures of the cigar in a pipe.

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Cigar Leaf 60% </td><td>13 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Black Cavendish 15% </td><td>3 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 15% </td><td>3 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Stoved Virginia 10% </td><td>2 grs </td></tr></table>

General Winfield Scott Hancock

General Handcock -- Union

General Handcock a convincing leader with significant victories and accomplishments including Gettysburg, The Wilderness and Fredricksburg finally mustered out of the Army in 1866. A classic Virginia/Burley/Cavendish mixture. The choicest Red and Stoved Virginia combined with smooth and spicy Burley with just the right portion of Black Cavendish combine for a refined and carefully balanced smoke, sure to please those interested in a smoking experience from Yesteryear.

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Red Virginia 35% </td><td>7 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Stoved Virginia 13% </td><td>2.6 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Burley 45% </td><td>9 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Black Cav 15% </td><td>3 grs </td></tr></table>

Gettysburg Mixture

The Battle Of Gettysburg -- July 1-3 1863 -- Union Victory
Carefully selected Red and Lemon Virginia combined with a generous portion of Fine Turkish Orientals for a superb and intoxicating smoking mixture. Seasoned and novice smokers will appreciate the depth and character of these fine tobaccos. A true "crossover smoke" for English/Balkan and pipe fans from the world of Cigars alike.

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Red Virginia 65% </td><td>13 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Lemon Virginia 15% </td><td>3 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Oriental 20% </td><td>4 grs </td></tr></table>

President Davis Mixture

President Jefferson Davis -- Confederate President
The only President of The Confederate States of America, this firebrand of a leader was never brought to trial. A fine Americanized Balkan. Rich Red and Lemon Virgina and the finest Turkish provide the foundation for the perfect measure of smoky Cyrian Latakia. A delicate balancing of Stoved Virginia and a touch of Perique add spice and interest to a complex smoking experience. A little less full and slightly sweet, this is a fine compiment to the evening meal, or for enjoying by the fire late at night.

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Orientals 35% </td><td> 7 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Stoved VA 5% </td><td>1 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Red VA 25% </td><td>5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Lemon VA 5% </td><td>1 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Latakia 25% </td><td>5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 5% </td><td>1 grs </td></tr></table>

President Lincoln Mixture

One of America's best loved Presidents, overcame his own personal demons to lead our country in overcoming it's own. A fine Americanized Balkan. Rich Red and Lemon Virgina and the finest Turkish set the stage for a generous helping of smoky Cyrian Latakia. A light balancing of Burley and a hint of Black Cavendish add refinment and layering to a stately and complex smoking experience. This is a full and satifying mixture which is never too heavy for enjoyment any time of day or evening.

50 gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Orientals 35% </td><td>17.5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Black Cav 5% </td><td>2.5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Red VA 25% </td><td>12.5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Lemon VA 5% </td><td>2.5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Latakia 25% </td><td>12.5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Burley 5% </td><td>2.5 grs </td></tr></table>

New English Formulation - Enigma

Truly an Enigma, right where you expect the strong notes from Latakia and Orientals, you have Burley! A Burley dominant 'English Mixture' for the 21st Century.

10 gram batch #2
<table border="1"><tr><td>Turkish 20% </td><td> 2 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Lemon VA 8% </td><td> .8 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Stoved VA 12% </td><td>1.2 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Burley 30% </td><td> 3 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Latakia 20% </td><td> 2 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 10% </td><td>1 grs </td></tr></table>

New English Mixture - Trafalgar Square

A "Traditional English Type Mixture" with Cigar leaf for fuller flavor

20 Gram Batch
<table border="1"><tr><td>Red Virginia 22% </td><td> 4.4 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Lemon VA 8% </td><td>1.6 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Turkish 15% </td><td>3 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Latakia 25% </td><td>5 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Perique 12% </td><td>2.4 grs </td></tr><tr><td>Cigar Leaf 18% </td><td>3.6 grs </td></tr></table>

Very cool and mighty generous to share your work like that.

Well this is just a gold mine of recipes,,,thanks for sharing,,,

great looking recipes. I might have to try to blend a few of these up if I can find the ingredients!

free_byrd15":bkjg5lib said:
great looking recipes. I might have to try to blend a few of these up if I can find the ingredients!
That's easy Brother:

C&D >>> http://cornellanddiehl.com/blending_tobaccos.htm
McClelland Burley >>> http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=4220
McClelland Bulk: 5105 - Stoved Virginia >>> http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3984

The scales are a bit expensive, but done on a budget I suppose you could get everything together and enough to blend up say 6 pound of blends for around $300.00 US. The tobaccos which prices vary somewhat on but I've figured them at $40/lb. I hear the gears turning already, 6 pounds of tobacco? Trust me, this is so much fun to try that you will wish you had ordered more! Hell, you are going to spend $300.00 on tobacco eventually anyway, why not add some fun to that package?

I suggest you start with small batches, 20 grams is plenty and let them rest a couple of days - weeks so they can marry. I'd also suggest that you try smoking 'raw tobacco' by that I mean find a cob or a clay and smoke a bowl of straight Perique (to get an idea of exactly what it tastes like) Repeat this exercise with all your tobacco types, that way when you decide to tweek a recipe you'll have a better idea what to expect. You'll discover that changes in small percentages are best, individual tobacco GREATLY influences mixtures!

I haven't played with creating topped or cased mixtures, though I would really LOVE to try. As I understand things and from conversations I've had with a Tobacco Master (AKA The Dark Lord himself) food grade flavorings are the best.

Don't expect that you are suddenly going to be a master like GLP but I think you will have lots of fun, and learn a great deal about what makes those Masters of Leaf so special.

I was wondering what happened to Mike and Big Lou's Back Room. I had bought some nice blends off of him (Den of Thieves, Two Harbors and Voodoo Child) and enjoyed them very much. Wasn't he also trying his hand at pipe making using a gun checkering technique on the briar? Thanks for sharing your recipes. They look very interesting. I really like the recipes for the Enigma, and General Longstreet. I might have to give them a try.

Mikem":pii12ju2 said:
I was wondering what happened to Mike and Big Lou's Back Room. I had bought some nice blends off of him (Den of Thieves, Two Harbors and Voodoo Child) and enjoyed them very much. Wasn't he also trying his hand at pipe making using a gun checkering technique on the briar? Thanks for sharing your recipes. They look very interesting. I really like the recipes for the Enigma, and General Longstreet. I might have to give them a try.
Yes he did also try his hand at pipe making and actually produced some nice looking pipes. He occasionally shows up on ASP Chat under the name-handle of BigLou. He has taken a teaching position in Utah somewhere and seems to be enjoying life. As far as I know Big Lou's Back Room is still in business and selling those blends of Mike's. The website is still live anyway.

If you blend it up, you will quickly know why I call in Enigma! It couldn't be called anything else! I enjoy it, but if you think it's going to taste like a typical English blend you are in for a shock! General Longstreet is quite stout, if you find it too stout drop the cigar content down some and add in equal amounts of Burley and Red VA to replace the amount lost.

After you've blended by recipe for awhile, you will find enough confidence to branch out and try new things. The HARDEST part for me is waiting ... sometimes I have to sample a blend as soon as I'm done stirring :twisted:

I use a 48 quart picnic cooler to store my bulk tobaccos in. Seems to work fine pushed into the back of a closet.

free_byrd15":cqyifhfr said:
dang, 6 pounds of tobacco!!!???!!! I buy like 2 oz at a time from my local! lol
I like to think of it as a good return on investment, not just is tobacco itself, but against 'hard times', growing legislative moves, and a hobby.

Assuming tobacco will never be cheaper than it is right now, putting several pounds of it away for a rainy day seems a good idea.

YMMV

K:
Ya need to sell some of your creations, bruddah !
Those look schweeeeeet :geek:

I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of these yet, or at least been inspired to order some bulks ...

Kilted1 -- thanks for a most interesting and informative post. Though I am a bit daunted at the idea of blending myself, I thought it was educational to see how different blends are broken down. Very cool, and thanks again!

Trout Bum":r8tuqln4 said:
Kilted1 -- thanks for a most interesting and informative post. Though I am a bit daunted at the idea of blending myself, I thought it was educational to see how different blends are broken down. Very cool, and thanks again!
I really don't know how my blends would fair against the work of master blenders. I spent hours 'deconstructing' samplings from other blends trying to determine a rough idea of percentages of what I could determine to be tobaccos used in various blends. I think I'm likely lower in percentages of Latakia in my blends than many, but what I seek is 'layered complexity'.

What little I do know is that it makes the subject even more fascinating having attempted blending myself. It is educating and fun to attempt.