Kindle Readers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artvandelay

Reaction score
I've talked to a number of people who prefer paper books to electronic devices. That being said, I do not fall into that category. The ability to carry hundreds of books with me and the choice that it brings appeals to me. At times, I even read them on my iPhone 6s Plus. Any other Kindle owners out there?

I had one until recently. It crapped out. Consensus among acquaintances suggests that they need to be replaced every few years. I find them usable and I tolerate their "interface," but prefer regular paperbacks, since I do most reading on my back and they're light. And hardcovers nowadays are a joke, quality-wise.

You hit on a pet peeve.
Paperbacks are paperback and that's fine. But a hardback needs to be printed on quality paper, and smythe sewn. Period, end of discussion, anything else and it might as well be a paperback.

puros_bran":l5pj6mvs said:
You hit on a pet peeve.
Paperbacks are paperback and that's fine.  But a hardback needs to be printed on quality paper, and smythe sewn. Period, end of discussion, anything else and it might as well be a paperback.
#MeToo. Hardcovers are more like glorified p’backs. On the other hand, paperbacks seem to be getting lighter and more durable. So why pay extra? I didn’t mind the Kindle, got used to the format, but they stopped supporting my model. I was going to buy a new one for Christmas, but ended up buying my Grand Boy a mess o’ cool stuff and setting the rest aside for town property taxes next month.

Confirmed Kindle user here. I don't travel without three things - a pipe, my pillow and my Kindle.
I had the original and loved it immediately (black & white, no back light). I set a beach lounge leg on it.
So, next up was a Fire. I didn't care for it, nor need any of the tablet functions.
I only read books, no magazines, newspapers, no web surfing (I'd rather take a beating rather than surf on a tablet).
So, I bought the Paperwhite about three years ago. Backlit, instantly sizable fonts, you can read it in direct sunlight, the battery lasts forever.
The Paperwhite is perfect for me.

The "Calibre" program converts anything into Mobi (Kindle) format.

For the first several years after they came out I used one exclusively and loved it. Then I decided I missed regular books and read them for awhile, then I decided I like both... :lol:

I am reading a novel on the Kindle right now. Mostly it depends on whether I want the book right this minute (kindle) or if I want to wait for a paper copy. I honestly like both.

I love my kindle. I have about an hour and 15 minute drive to work so the fact that my kindle and audible can sync up is perfect. Plus with deployments i can't really carry more than a couple actual books with me it makes it quite convenient. I have a kindle paperwhite and fire, use the paperwhite for reading and fire for interneting.

I'm a fan of the Kindle Paperwhite as well. Wife goes to sleep I can turn off the light and keep reading. Looks good in full sun and most importantly I can adjust the font size for my old eyes. Some of the paperbacks print in microfiche font and is impossible to read.

I bought a paperwhite a few months ago and love it. I can't see a need for an upgrade for me at this time.

Confirmed Kindle user here. I don't travel without three things - a pipe, my pillow and my Kindle.
I had the original and loved it immediately (black & white, no back light). I set a beach lounge leg on it.
So, next up was a Fire. I didn't care for it, nor need any of the tablet functions.
I only read books, no magazines, newspapers, no web surfing (I'd rather take a beating rather than surf on a tablet).
So, I bought the Paperwhite about three years ago. Backlit, instantly sizable fonts, you can read it in direct sunlight, the battery lasts forever.
The Paperwhite is perfect for me.

The "Calibre" program converts anything into Mobi (Kindle) format.
You sound like me. Still have the original paperwhite without the backlighting but the battery doesn't hold a charge so I have to keep it plugged in while using it. SWMBO talked me into getting a Fire just before our vacation a few years ago. After the week long vacation I stuck it in a drawer in my office and rarely take it out. I don't care for the Fire. Been thinking about getting a new paperwhite.

Anyone else have a Kindle paperwhite, like it, and use it?

I have Kindle installed on my iPad Pro. It’s all I use anymore. As one who pays for Amazon Prime there are a bazillion new and old books I can “borrow” (up to 5 at a time). I very very rarely pay for a book.

Ordered a gen. 11 Kindle Paperwhite a few minutes ago. They have a limited time code for 15% off. This time I treated myself to the version that isn't supported with advertisements.