kirsten

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Picked up a Kirsten Regent, can't seem to get it to smoke right. It's about a one inch bore with an odd shaped chamber. No matter how slowly I smoke, the center 3/4 inch of tobacco burns down leaving the rest hanging there. If I tamp as I go, the same thing happens, the fire migrates to the center. Can't seem to build any cake , there isn't contact with the walls long enough form any. I've tried different tobaccos at different stages of dryness and different packing methods. No, I'm not whining, and I don't have a lot of money invested, It just bugs me. Any advice appreciated.

Mark,

It's the Kirsten bowls that are the draw back, in my experience. Once the semester calms down a bit and I get my camera out, I'll post some pictures of Kristens with the "right" bowls to smoke great. Check with Mike Brissitt on this board, he makes great bowls with a better chamber than the Kirsten ones. Don't give up on it yet.

Natch

I contacted Mike this spring but he had no Kirsten bowls in stock. He planned on turning some this summer, but haven't heard back from him. I think you're right, the problem lies in the odd chamber shape.

Hey Mark, I just got my first Kirsten a short time ago, and smoked my first full bowl out of it this am. It seemed to burn ok for me, but that was just one time. Anyways, I was gettin ready to clean up a couple of firearms, and had the pipe laying rite there. Through dumb luck, I found that .30 caliber cleaning patches or .50 caliber ball patches work very well for running thruough the pipe with the little ramrod on the stem. Just thought I'd share that. Whadda you think Natch, being our board Kirsten guy. :lol:

Bd

Never Forget!

Bulldog Bruce, just out of curiosity, which bowl is on your kirsten? Mine is a Mandarin with a one inch diameter chamber, with an angled contour inside. I like the concept of the pipe,it smokes dry, maybe when things slow down I'll turn a bowl myself, nothing to lose but a little time.

Mark, been out of town and not near a computer. Was @ a Mountain Man Rendesvous at Fort Bridger WY. My first one, although have shot lots of black powder. Kind of got the feeling if I had a laptop, and had taken it into the old fort grounds I probably would have been tarred and feathered at the least. :lol: . Anyway, back to the Kirsten. I don't see one on their site that looks just like mine shapewise. Best I can describe it is an upside down valcano outer shape, one inch diameter chamber with a taper that almost meets the set screw at the bottom. I intended to take that pipe with me. Left it on kitchin table along with tobac. Bought a clay and tobac over there and broke it within 2 hours :cry: . rolled for the rest of the visit.

Bd

Never Forget!