knife qestion

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
so im not a knife person sone my terms might be incorrect but
the what i call the gutting part of the knife where it curves at the tip of the blade on the top portion of the knife can it be sharpened with out harming the knife i say im not a knife guy i do love them i just do t know terms so enlighten me please whats it called as well

Arky,
  The knife you have is called a Clip Point. Also known for years as a Bowie Knife. Some Clip point knives are also called Sabre Clip point, these have a double bevel design. The upper beveled portion is not suppose to be sharp, but I know a few people that have sharpened it too also serve a specific purpose for their needs. This shape blade is also used on folding knives by many knife manufacturers. 
  I much prefer a Drop Point blade on my folders. There are many different types of cutting edges that are available, each has a specific use as well as a specific purpose. 

You need to purchase an inexpensive skinner/gutting knife for your needs, it's a knife designed with the proper gutting hook. 
Hope this information helps you. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Blade Types, even though these are folders shown the same blade types are used as well on fixed blade knives. 
evXwfo5.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

Blade Grinds

PgyCtJ4.jpg" style="width: 400px;height: 600px

Skinner with Gut Hook
 The knife pictured is longer then shown. Will no longer allow me to re-size on a mobile device  but you get the idea  
AmjpaoO.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

I think it's illegal here in NY to have the top edge sharpened, as you might on a Bowie or clip blade. There's always the danger you might go berserk and start cutting people left and right. Having only one edge minimizes the damage. At least that's my rationalization of our incredibly wise legislators, who stride the earth like gods.

Hey, anyone know how to sharpen a sheepsfoot blade without rounding off the tip? It's my favorite blade shape in a pocket knife.

Richard Burley^^^^^^living prior on Long Island for many years I can state....." you are 100% correct, it's illegal to carry any knife that has a double sharp edge ". Also, you can carry a pocket knife concealed but the blade can NOT be over 4" long. That's including wether the blade only has a 3.5" cutting edge with a choil. You will find videos on YouTube showing how to sharpen a sheepsfoot blade. 

It's legal to carry a 4" Balasong knife with a single edge blade. However, it's NOT legal to carry within NYC limits. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

well thats odd i never understood all that worry about going berserk and killing with a knife. killing with a knife is much to personal and most people dont have tge ability. ill tell you its hard enought to clean a animal i could not kill an animal with a knife unless i had no choice but to eat. your looking in the eyes of what your killing ans you have to hold them correctly to do so.