Knife Sale Allows New Blades in the Door!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Well, so it didn't work out too badly after all! I sold a knife I didn't use (the Blackjack Trail Guide) for a fair price to a worthy person who will use it hard, as it was intended...hunting Moose and Bear in Alaska, and get to use 2/3 of the funds generated to get TWO new blades and sheaths to work on. WooHoooo!

So off I go to Thompson's

This is the blurb on the first pick, much larger in size than I would normally pick:

Kankaanpää Knife Blades - Finland

Utility blades in Bohler Uddeholm 0.8% carbon steel used for decades. Slightly convex grind.
Rockwell Hardness 58 - 59.

Kankaanpaa is the name of the maker, an elderly man. The blanks are stamped, then they are sent for hardening.
They are ground on two big grinders, one for the left side one for right. These are from Germany, maybe 50 years old or more,
with a big rotating stone and a cooling system. At this point they are ground flat to zero.
Then Kankaanpaa manually puts on the second bevel, .. or not really.. he makes them a little convex close to the edge.
That is what he thinks is a good using knife. He comes from an area, Kauhava, where there is a long knife tradition and a lot of knowledge.

The blade: 161 Leuku 138x27 mm

162.jpg

The second blade is a Puronvarsi:

Yrjo Puronvarsi blades are hammered out of old Krupp carbonsteel, and are unique with their rombic transversal section,
i. e. they are thickest in the middle where the grindline begins. I have read that the carbonsteel is the same as Silversteel...which is a carbon steel that is used in Finland for high-quality puukko knives. The steel can be sharpened to a very sharp, razor-like edge and can be hardened up to 64 HRC, which is (as you may know) very hard and comparable in hardness to a UHC from Roselli. The high amount of chromium (0.50–0.80) gives it it's shiny appearance. A beautifull steel that can retain it's egde for a long time but more brittle due to it's hardness than the everage hunting knife.

Puronvarsi 75 - 80 x 19 - 20 mm

5286.jpg

Handles on these will likely be a combination of either Gabon Ebony or Honduran Rosewood for the main section then either black or ivory paper micarta plus nickel silver and fiber spacers.

I purchased an apporpriate Scandinavian style sheath that comes unstained, but lined to fit each.

Looking forward to this...love these Nordic blades as they are like a razor and really hold up.

Loving that Puronvarsi. I can't wait to see the end product BH.

Those are both really cool looking blades Cheval. The Puronvarsi would look spectacular with an antler handle methinks.

My family in Norway are in to knives. I think it must be a nordic thing. Knives are kind of symbolic tools and are often given as gifts on special occasions. Ones that have been made as a gift are considered very special items. My father and I both have traditional fishing knives that were given to us. I'm sure my son Miguel will get one sent from my family there too.

Yep, I agree with E. Gift knives are the ones that are valued more than any others as far as Im concerned ;)

Theres a little Norwegian in me, so maybe its even genetic :roll:

No matter the reason . But heck yeah BH, those are going to be impressive when you are done , of that I am sure !
Cant wait to see the finished product.

So...This is the first one I did...first knife I ever made. The pipe is a Tinsky kit pipe I did at the same time...kind of a set. I've posted them before, but thought it would be fun to re-post the combo.

The blade on this one is a Lauri PTX which is progressively tempered. It has an etched temper line that's quite visible. The spine is Rc 52 and the edge is Rc 62. And though I like the idea of a progressive temper I can't imagine needing a shock absorbing spine in such a small blade. But it certainly takes an edge.

PipeandKnifeProjects029-1.jpg