knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread... I recall my grandfather ALWAYS carried a pocket knife of sorts, along with a handkerchief, which appears to have gone by the wayside as well. I carry a pocket knife now and then, a Kershaw. I used to work at a fly shop, and at the counter, we had all of these knives in a glass case. It was kind of funny, but old men, young men, little boys, would always stop for a gander, whether they were fly fishermen or not. I met a lot of cool guys (and kids) from all over the country... right there at the knife counter.

Looking back, I kind of think the older men felt a bit younger, discussing quality blades and such, as it always connected them with their childhood, or fond memories of days of yore were often recalled... and the young boys perhaps felt a bit older, as the discussion of the right pocket knife is always a serious business, the business of men... Just a thought.

I feel naked without a knife. Recently I've added a small Buck hunter's knife to my regular rotation, which includes Victorinox Swiss Army, some assorted inherited or gifted slip joint knives, and a small Gerber folder with a half serrated blade.

And to those who think "professionals" don't carry, need, or use knives, I suppose I would qualify as evidence to the contrary.
icon_biggrin.png

I never leave the house without a pocket knife. I've always been that way.

The one thing I've always noticed....if I carry a good pocket knife, I usually end up loosing it. But, I can take a cheap piece of crap knife, and carry the dang thing until it falls apart :!:

Cold Steel Ti-Lite or Spyderco LE Folder if the need arises. I dont really carry a knife for self defense, more as a utility tool. I Used to carry one of those folding razors from Husky. Since I'm not ripping apart people's luggage & belongings :p at the airport, I have pretty much gone w/o a blade on most days.

Emerson CQC-16 leaves the house with me every day.
i would really feel naked with out my knife, G19 and surfire E2D

I always carry one. Sometimes a special one--dressier, you know--for Sundays, but a Queen or a Schott & Morgan is almost always in my pocket. Right now in pocket, a red Queen Country Cousin. A great everyday knife. I try never to leave the house without wallet, pocket knife and hankerchief.

When out on my 20 acres working I carry a Buck Stockman, when out & about a cheapie Chinease made Winchester two blade knife from Wal-mart. Never leave home without one.
When I was in high school way back in the 80's we all carried a pocket knife, now you take one on school grounds it's a criminal offense.

EJinVA":nbnab290 said:
When I was in high school way back in the 80's we all carried a pocket knife, now you take one on school grounds it's a criminal offense.
Exactly why I don't carry one on weekdays--I've been on either side of the desk in a school forever. Otherwise, I'd carry my great-grandfather's pen knife, at least.

Due to 9/11 and resulting "war on terror" most people have gotten use to not carrying a pocket knife. This is sad since people who carry a pocket knife risk being treated worse than a smoker........they risk jail. :affraid:

No matter to me. I carry no less than 3 knives at all times. Have since I was a boy.

When I carry one of my larger "quick" folders, people sometimes ask why I have it. My response is to look at them and say, "Zombies."

I carry an old, original, Spyderco all the time. Usually have a smaller lock-back in my pocket. Like others, I would feel naked without a knife. Carried Perry Officer model Kershaws for years, until I finally lost the last one. Good little pocket knife for a good cause--Perry's family, after a stupid hunter blew Perry out of his saddle while he was moving the remuda on an elk hunt.

Well normally carry a gerber belt clip folder, clipped to my pocket. I also have a S&W clip tanto blade folder, in ACU but the clip bent so it isnt carried as often now. Sadly I can not be trusted by by employer to carry a pocket knife at my job so I have to leave them at home, even though opening packages is part of my job, go figure that one.

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I can remember. Now I always have a Boker Stockman with me.
Stan

I gave my knife collection to my son, but I always have a swiss army on me. I keep a Buck Omni in the truck in case I have to skin something :lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep a little Joseph Rodgers with me pretty much all the time.

About 9 years ago my grandaddy passed away - after the funeral my dad came down from the 2nd floor to the living room where i was sitting and handed me "Grandee's" knife, a little Jr. Ploughman into which he had engraved his name, mine but for the "III". I carried that knife faithfully until one day, while i was in graduate school, some low-order scum saw fit to remove it from my studio. I began to suffer from headaches and nightmares. I would slip my hand into my pocket for it and it wasn't there, even though i'd been sure that, like a phantom leg, I could feel it twitching.

What was I to do?

Several weeks passed...I blanketed the school with open letters and mass emails but the thief never came clean. Finally, out of desperation, I went to a local Army/Navy and bought myself a replacement - nothing fancy, in fact, an identical Jr. Ploughman, though, obviously, this one without the shaky scrawling letters of the name that I share.

The headaches stopped and the nightmares ended - man, and I can't even begin to say how comforting it was to reach down and pat the pocket of my jeans and feel the familiar corners and curves of that little knife, and though it is only a pale substitution, the real legacy lies in my ongoing education in keeping it as sharp as that surgeon, my grand dad, ever did.

I have carried a pocket knife ever since I was old enough to venture in the hills of back home. No man would be caught without one in those days and I never broke the habit. Now I carry one that has a tamper and a reamer attached. Nothing less would do..lolll

My never leave home without it EDC is an old Case XX "yellar" Trapper. Not sure how I have never lost it.

I usually have a Rogers pipe knife in my front pocket along with my Zippo. A SWAK Champion, couple of multi-tools, and a Gerber LMF II (thats not a knife, now THIS is a knife!) in the truck.