Knox Cigar on the news

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gospelman

Reaction score
Saw an interesting piece on a local newsmagazine show the other day about Knox Cigar's new digs. Nice interview with Pete Zaring about their move next door to the old shop, and about the new pub, which I gather is now open.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and the pub wasn't open yet, but according to the piece on the show it now is. I'll be checking it out soon.

Mike

I stopped by on Valentines Day, the pub opened that evening, I didn't get to stay till it opened, but I want to go down there today or tomorrow, but may not make it either day :lol:. Hopefully, I'll get by there pretty soon.

It sounds like it will be a nice place to visit when in Tennessee.

Is their focus shifting from retail to running a club or are they going to continue running a retail outlet?

Always liked the place; nice place to stop in K'ville! Been a little trying lately with the I-40 construction. Nice folks, fine website! Look forward to visiting the new digs in April. FTRPLT

Justpipes":jwd3371z said:
It sounds like it will be a nice place to visit when in Tennessee.

Is their focus shifting from retail to running a club or are they going to continue running a retail outlet?
Still very much a retail shop, they're just expanding.

Thanks Brew!

If I am ever out that way again I hope I have a chance to stop and check them out.

Well, don't know how many of you folks got the email from them this afternoon. But it appears the Internet sales are stopping March 7th. Here is the text from Marisa.

Good afternoon,

Effective March 7, we will be closing knoxcigar.com to focus efforts on our retail business which has expanded over the last few years. As a result of this change we will not be fulfilling any backorder’s.

The knoxcigar.com url will start pointing to our expanded retail site in about 60 days which will feature more local based material.

We wish to thank you for being a loyal internet customer and for your support over the years.

This was a difficult decision for all of us at Knoxville Cigar Company but it is necessary in order to focus more on the local Knoxville market.

Thank you,

Marisa Burke

Customer Relations
Tel 888.676.3549
Fax 800.265.9009
[email protected]

The retail sales has great potential. I sure hope that once the Interstate construction is done, that the local market will be good to them. Not just them, but the whole Old City area. I love these older downtown business districts. Given time, hopefully we will see them back doing all the sales they can.

What???
No more posts on the Knox board from Yarnspooler/Knuckles/Woim?

Seriously, I enjoy visiting Knox's retail location. I too hope they'll once again in the future begin offering online sales.

Mike

The sad part is KCBB is a treasure trove of knowledge. The 'current' users are exceptions, for a lot of years KCBB was filled with posts from Industry giants and very knowledgable smokers.

It would be a very worthwhile project for some to go mine that data and cut and paste it into a PDF file. If I had the capability to do so (damn blackberry) that's exactly what I'd be doing this AM. I'd imagine when 'online sales' site is gone, the BB is gone.
JRbb,Stokers,several Yahoo/google groups and now Knox, how much info are we going to allow to disapear into the ether before we learn?

I tried to get into the board last night and could not. Had a little trouble getting onto the sales site. So I guess they never have solved their Internet problems with the new ISP.

I got on there this morning, but didn't see anything about the changes.

It is sad, though...Knox is the first pipe/tobacco site I ever visited, and learned a ton of stuff there.

Mike

Ok, rumor control. :)

If you guys want to see a recent video, here is the link. Nice interview with Pete. Some plans for the future. Shows some views of the new store.

Knoxville Cigar News

I spoke with Steven this morning. Internet sales will be discontinued until such time as it's right for that to come back. They will be concentrating on the local scene. Go visit, spend lots of money! :D

Plans are that they will continue their Tavern Tobacco line. Some they blend in-house. Others will have to wait for large orders to get them made. That could be some time for certain blends. But don't write them off yet. They might be in short supply for a time. No different than any other highly prized item in limited supply.

As of this morning here is current stock, tins & bulk, if you're curious.

Rose of Zanzibar: 9 tins and 9lbs
Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge: 23 tins and 4 lbs
MacCraigan's Flake: 6 lbs
Rusty Hinge Flake: 112 tins
Gray Man's Flake: 12 tins

Currently out of Laurel Flake and Marrakesh Cafe. Others are blended in-house.

Steven will try to post news on the board to keep folks up to date. As time permits.

I was in there Friday night, it was very nice. They have a lot of great beers. I really enjoy visiting, I only go by once a month, and it's not far from my dwelling. It's got a great atmosphere. The only downside to them having house blends is that they push the house blends if they don't have what you're looking for from the larger blenders. For instance, I was looking for some GLP Barbary Coast, Embarcadero, Maltese Falcon, and Westminister, none of which they had, and the clerk began telling me about Tavern Tobacco's closest substitute. I guess the fact that I've never really had a good experience with a substitute turned me off to the whole idea of someone telling me, "No, we don't have that, but this is sort of almost similar." I don't mean to knock their blends, because they have some good blends, but when I'm looking to buy an apple, don't offer me an orange.

Anyway, now that I got that lil' rant out of my system, to add to Carlos's list, they also had some Boar's Head when I was in there, not sure how many tins though.

Oop's. Missed that Boar's Head. Great Virginia blend.

Marisa also confirms that you can pick up the phone and order. But no back orders will be done. So we still have that option.

I hope that someday these ISP problems will be fixed. That other problems will be solved.

For you guys lucky enough to visit, be sure to ask about food options. There is several places in the Old City doing great food. Might just be able to get delivery of a full meal. Kind of expands the snacks options currently available. Wish I was close.

Oh, and if you saw the video on the link, you will know, this is 21 and older.

Carlos":3d9575a0 said:
Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge: 23 tins and 4 lbs.
I might have to get a few tins of that just for the name and logo alone.

I wonder if it is as good as C&D Blockade Runner?

Even' All, I just printed out my entire inventory over at Knox. I didn't want to loose it, half a ream of paper!!
Justpipes completely different tabacs QAR is a latakia based blend, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:

pipetongue1":ii7i0ehm said:
Justpipes completely different tabacs QAR is a latakia based blend, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat:
Thanks Ken! I really like Blockade Runner thanks to Mr. Brissett. It is straight VA soaked in premium rum for 7 days. The rum I believe really smoothes out the VA.