Knox News

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos, you may want to suggest to Steven that he enable User Verification like we are using. It sends an email to the user that they must click on to activate. To my mind it's better than admin activation being they have to have a valid email address and have to do something. Bots and spammers won't do it and as an admin making the decision it's still a guess whether or not they are real. It does the burden on the end user but it's minimal. Out of our forty some users there were only a few that had issue, all of which we were able to resolve fairly easy. Especially now that I know how to do it.

I probably will continue to check (and post) on the Knox board when I can. I don't find it a real problem to visit/post on several boards. I also post on the Christianpipesmokers.net board, and they're a fine bunch of guys as well.

The Knox board is where I began to learn, after 25 years of pipe smoking, that there was a world of tobacco choices that I hadn't tried. The knowledge I gained there is incalculable. Since I live in the Knoxville area, I look forward to visiting the new physical store location. It's a really good store, and the guys there have always been friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

That said, I'm really glad this board is here. A lot of the old Knox posters are here, and some new folks too. To me, it's another fine web resource for us lovers of this wonderful pastime.

Mike

thomas james":8opkbwzg said:
Almost worth pm'n him our new address just to watch :afro: zap him.
tj
Why would Mike Brissett zap him?

Please, please, please don't pm him. He'll find his way over eventually in some incarnation or another. :no:

Well, I went down to Knox's store in the Old City today. I haven't been there since they made the move next door. I'm telling you, it's going to be good! Yes, they are still awaiting shipments on several tobaccos. I went to get a tin of Squadron Leader...they had none. But Jared pointed me to Commonwealth, another Sam Gawith offering, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

The really neat thing is the bar/restaurant they'll have next door. They already have the bar in place, and tables...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.

:cheers:

Mike

gospelman":oihm77je said:
...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.
Mike:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...er, you mean a place where you can walk in off the street and hang out and smoke? Right in fronta God an' evvihboddih? :affraid:

Youse guys are lucky indeed. There is no such "crime" allowed in the People's Republic of Californicaty. When you stop and think about what that means...well, it's hard to find the handles on it, that's all. There was a time when the mere proposal of such a thing would have earned the disdain it so richly deserves. Now, the antis have divided and conquered to the point wherein our noble pastime has become quasi-criminalized.

Enjoy that liberty while you have it, amigo.

Vito :joker:

Vito":ufw2ns3d said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...er, you mean a place where you can walk in off the street and hang out and smoke? Right in fronta God an' evvihboddih? :affraid:

Yep! With big, old glass windows, to look in an see the criminals in the act. Not sure what kind of eats they will also provide. But there is a pizza place across the street. And sandwiches also just a short walk down the street. I just love to see these old downtown areas full of businesses.

Carlos":1pjo0hf7 said:
Yep! With big, old glass windows, to look in an see the criminals in the act.
The windows have not been painted black yet, and the old-time speakeasy door hasn't been installed. Vito, Alfredo, or TJ: I think they are looking for someone with an Italian accent to stand outside in a long black coat and fedora. 8)

showme

Vito":1t2e1wvl said:
gospelman":1t2e1wvl said:
...I'm thinking it won't be long before there'll be a really cool gathering place for pipe/cigar enthusiasts to go to enjoy a pint and a smoke.
Mike:

Youse guys are lucky indeed. There is no such "crime" allowed in the People's Republic of Californicaty. When you stop and think about what that means...well, it's hard to find the handles on it, that's all. There was a time when the mere proposal of such a thing would have earned the disdain it so richly deserves. Now, the antis have divided and conquered to the point wherein our noble pastime has become quasi-criminalized.

Enjoy that liberty while you have it, amigo.

Vito, you have really hit on something there. That a man could actually be cited for lighting up. It boggles the mind that it has come to this. Yet, even in the great green state of Tennessee, where tobacco is a pretty big crop (or has been in the past) it is now illegal to smoke inside a business, unless said business is posted as 21 and over. That is how Knox will be able to get around the restriction. In fact, they already had a "21 and over only" sign on the door at the old location.

Which makes it impossible for me to take my 17 year old daughter to lunch when they open. She really enjoyed going to Knoxville Cigar Company...she thought it was "cool" and I agree. I believe she would have enjoyed accompanying Dad for a nice meal with some good company.

I'm really excited about the new shop, but believe me: I understand and deeply feel the frustration and general "pissed-offedness" that the anti's have wrought.

Mike

Mark,

The old JRBB was the best board of any kind that I have ever been a part of.

No one ever got pi$$ed off over anything, it was great fun, and a great place to exchange information and opinions.

I've probably laughed harder on some of the chats there than I ever had in my life, and once CP arrived, we had someone who we could collectively focus our humorus efforts on.

This board gives every indication of becoming as good or better than the fondly remembered JRBB.

Mark, you and Yarnie were not responsible for it's demise.
The combination of trolling by the Cigar board guys and the heavy handed tactics of their new half wit moderator ultimately did it in.

Mike

showme1or2":a6xct3l9 said:
...Vito, Alfredo, or TJ: I think they are looking for someone with an Italian accent to stand outside in a long black coat and fedora...
showme:

Oh...so you want to attract people. :mrgreen:

gospelman":30fvmyqu said:
...it is now illegal to smoke inside a business, unless said business is posted as 21 and over. That is how Knox will be able to get around the restriction...Which makes it impossible for me to take my 17 year old daughter to lunch when they open. She really enjoyed going to Knoxville Cigar Company...she thought it was "cool" and I agree. I believe she would have enjoyed accompanying Dad for a nice meal with some good company.

I'm really excited about the new shop, but believe me: I understand and deeply feel the frustration and general "pissed-offedness" that the anti's have wrought.

Mike
Mike:

The only way around it here is to make one's establishment a "private club", or some other operation that is not open to the general public. In that case, only members can enter. If a business is open to the public, the almighty friggin' state has effectively decreed that its premises are "public property", in the sense that the owner loses a large measure of control over what people can and cannot do. The Marxists have thereby largely done away with the concept of private property. (All bow in Holy Reverence to the almighty state... :evil: )

That's the price we pay by appealing to the state as the source of "justice"...as though such idiocies as laws against discrimination stop people from hating one another. Now they're going to protect the "rights" of non-smokers at the expense of all those who otherwise are capable of making their own intelligent choices about smoking.

How did they pull off this broad-daylight hijacking of personal liberty? The same way they're doing it with all these Save the Earth superstitions—by invoking pseudo-science. In the case of tobacco, the crusading control-freaks bought a bunch of hacks to swear that their cherrypicked data on "secondhand smoke" represented the greatest health threat since the last scam they perpetrated. And of course they were hugely successful in their efforts to spin themselves as being compassionate. It's for the children...you know, all the ones that you and I heartlessly murder with our second-hand smoke day in and day out. The studies "proved" it.

Those "studies" have since been thoroughly discredited, but that doesn't matter any more. The Big Lie only has to work long enough to get the moronic majority (OK..."moronic" is probably redundant) to buy into it, and that means just long enough to get some new command-and-control legislation on the books. After that, the truth doesn't matter. Once the state establishes its authority to control the lives of its citizens in some new and greater degree, it almost never surrenders it. Legislators generally are not in the business of repealing bad laws. They justify their existence by passing new laws. How? By increasing fear, anger, hatred, envy, and generally by setting up straw-man schemes that pit one segment of the populace (which they hope is in the majority) against another (which is always in the minority), and the "solution" is always the same: more coercive interference with the lives, property, and liberty of the citizenry.

Of course, the smartest politicians are careful to ensure that they don't piss off too many people at once. They achieve that end by carefully shifting their targets around. At one time or another, everyone gets the opportunity to be part of the "them" in the "us vs. them" ploy. For the antis, pipe smokers are "them" (bad guys), and everyone else is the "us" (good guys).

It always works the same way. The politicians stand back and let the squawkers draw up the battle lines, and then they jump in on whichever side looks like it's going to win. That call that "leadership". But in the final analysis, they always increase their power and measure their success by decreasing personal liberty, not by increasing it. That is all political laws can do.

Although I feel a certain loyalty to the Knox Board, having participated there for 6.5 years and having that experience be rich, I think we are on to something good on this Board, the reasons for which have already been posted.

But one area where this Board really does surpass Knox is that here we have an admin who knows his way around the IT world and whose administrative choices are much broader than the admins at Knox. I can see him acting when needed in a much more effective way.

Having Jason as a board member means that he can see problems a mile away, much faster than Knox. He visits this Board regularly, maybe daily,
whereas the Knox admins visited only when notified by one of its members,
and acting then (except for dottleman). Also, the Knox admins had to fit administration into other business concerns.

I like it here!

alfredo, I agree. In addition, we will have more motivated active members and a smaller group for friendlier atmosphere.

Stopped into Knox Cigar Co. today, the new pad looks great. I like the setup much, much more, very open, easy to see everything and explore the store. I can't wait till the bar part opens as well. I'll have to make a weekly trip down there probably.