Lacroix pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
Know anything about Lacroix Pipes? I like a natural looking, rugged finish, and Lacroix seems to specialize in that. I haven’t been successful in finding any info on the stampings. Lacroix stamping includes stars which might / might not be indicative of quality. I’ve looked in the usual Internet sites and come up with nothing. Anyone out there have a clue?

I am only familiar with Jean Lacroix pipes. I have three, and they are among my best smokers. The Lacroix Three-Star pipe is, or was, made by another branch of the family. Or something. Their classic shapes look very similar, including the finishes. I don't think the stars indicate quality. My recommendation is to judge the pipes individually; the quality of the ones I'm familiar with varies quite a bit. Lots of fills sometimes on the smooths. But generally I think French pipes are underrated. Sorry I can't be of more substantive help.

These pipes were made in St Claude, France. The last owner had to file for bankruptcy around 2013 or 2014.
The stars are indicative of the beauty and flawlessness of the briar. The more the stars, the better the briar.

Davy Jones":d0ehdp09 said:
...The stars are indicative of the beauty and flawlessness of the briar. The more the stars, the better the briar.
Good to know. I've never seen a four-star, two-star, or one-star, just the three. In the case of Jean Lacroix, the older the better. They made some real crap in later years and for export. (I was told by a collector that the good ones were only available in Europe.) I assume the same for any variant with the Lacroix name. Or any French pipe. Or any pipe.

I was wondering about this, while smoking out on my deck one evening, and noticed my Lacroix’s one star on the mouthpiece and another stamped on the shank. it’s been for me a light, sweet, dry smoker. It’s rugged finish is the sort of feature that’s pleasing to the piper or not. It’s pleasing to me, and the rugged, flattened shank gives a nice grip.

But the rugged finish seemed to me to throw off the usual quality measures such as grain, specks, fills, bald spots and whatnot. When the days got shorter there was insufficient light to notice such detail. I’ve liked French pipes ever since I read a comment from Sebastian Beo — I want my pipes to be well made from quality briar, handsome in appearance, and affordable for the working man.

I don’t know how that does as pricing strategy, but certainly the thought is admirable.

Your query prompted me to see what ebay had in the way of Lacroix pipes, just to satisfy curiosity. PAD, lying dormant for some time in my gizzard, immediately took over, and I bid 100 bucks for this piece of wood and rubber. Got it for 45. Have no idea what branch of the Lacroix enterprise made this pipe, the nomenclature meaning zip to me. Looks good to what I like to think of as an experienced eye, and I had to have it. You know the routine.

Mine is a Lumberman shape, but it has the same unadorned, straightforward appeal of your billiard. I have many pipes that are a bit tarted up, but there’s definitely something attractive about a plain, traditional, well done briar. Kind of like a girl with minimal makeup but great bones. I hope yours smokes as well as mine does.