Lady Pipers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
I lament that, thus far, I have known only one woman who smokes a pipe. I know there are many women pipers out there, and I hope to meet some at the local toby shop private room I joined today. At present, it seems piping is stereotyped as primarily a man's activity, but I wonder if perhaps the stereotype is changing. The owner of my local toby shop told me he's met several women in the area who smoke a pipe, and most of those he's met have been around college age. By his estimation, that has something to do with a trend in society to challenge traditional stereotypes.

A private room? Is that like a pipe club? The only one I ever found was a bit... exclusive. Lady pipers though, I have met. Mostly at tobacco shops that have a lounge. And I did notice they were college age ladies. They mostly smoked aromatic blends. I used to hang out in a hookah bar some years ago and saw quite a few, come to think of it. There is a connection there, I think. But, yes it is mostly a manly pursuit.

We do have a small number of ladies here though. Even some prominent members of the larger pipe smoking community.

Stick":s7ddxgiu said:
Calling Kaitlyn, Scottie and Briar Babe...
I knew there were lady pipers here on the forum, which I'm happy to see. I'd love to hear their perspectives.

Jevverrett":txcs985l said:
A private room? Is that like a pipe club? The only one I ever found was a bit... exclusive. Lady pipers though, I have met. Mostly at tobacco shops that have a lounge. And I did notice they were college age ladies. They mostly smoked aromatic blends. I used to hang out in a hookah bar some years ago and saw quite a few, come to think of it. There is a connection there, I think.  But, yes it is mostly a manly pursuit.

We do have a small number of ladies here though. Even some prominent members of the larger pipe smoking community.
Long story short, my local toby shop has a lounge, where some members have occasionally enjoyed alcohol with their cigars (libations brought from home). The state alcohol folks didn't like that, so the toby shop was required to make the lounge exclusive, and to charge a yearly fee for access to the place. It's $25 a year to sit on their couches, have access to the restroom, and use the WiFi...and bring in one's own alcohol.

Really it's not its own "room," in the sense that there's any kind of wall. It's just a barrier like one might see for a queue line at a theater, with a sign saying "For Members Only." It's a very laid back shop, and I haven't yet met anyone who's very pretentious. There are some toby shops that cater to the snobs, but this isn't one of 'em.

Gosh, I negligently omitted the great Scottie from my post above. Now edited.

Actually, beyond the medicine women I know, there are a good amount of ladies I know that enjoy the pipes... Then there's also these wonderful gals I associate with that prefer high end cigars.

Yeah, I stumbled across a pipe club. Literally. I was in the owl shop in new haven ct, having a scotch and a smoke after work one day. As I was leaving, I literally bumped into a young man smoking a pipe. Well dressed, followed by three more gentlemen similarly attired and smoking. I apologized, and in the course of a brief conversation found out they were Yale students. They had a pipe club, and it was for Yale students only. They did tell me there was a cigar club that was open to the public more or less. But, it’s not the same.